R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neve Style Transformers from Altran  (Read 11466 times)

rock777

Neve Style Transformers from Altran
« on: December 11, 2006, 10:57:12 PM »

Fletcher, have you had a chance to check out the Neve style output transformers from Altran?  I wired some to my console's direct outs and I was actually blown away.  I was wondering what your thoughts were on them.  I just purchased a set of Neve 33118's micpre/eq from a guy in CA and they were racked at Mercenary Audio.  Whoever racked them at Mercenary put the power supply in an old ammunition case.  They sound excellent.  I picked up the transformers from Steven Smith at Altran.  If you get a chance to check them out, let me know what you think about them.  I am really pleased with the transformers that they sent me.  Thanks.

Fletcher

Re: Neve Style Transformers from Altran
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 06:27:36 AM »

I have never heard of Altran... which transformers did you replace in the 3118's?
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

ricknroll

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 03:12:32 PM »

As a slight aside, I believe the Hamptone preamp, at least the HVTP2, uses Altran transformers.  I asked Scott about substituting the output transformer with the comparable model of Jensens, but he said he had tried this and didn't think there was any sonic improvement to be found by swapping them (just an increased cost for the Jensens).

Rick

tigeba

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:55:31 PM »

The HVTP2 does use Altran transformers, I was just soldering them on last night. Can't comment on the sound, as I haven't finished the power supply Smile

rock777

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 12:28:46 AM »

Fletcher, I didn't change the output transformers in the Neves.  I wired these to my consoles direct outs and other preamps I have been building.  I really didn't know what to expect.  I plugged in a mic to test out the preamps/eq's the low end was huge and clean.  It seemed like it cleaned up the phase shift, I noticed that the transformer didn't distort until +24db to 26db like the Carnhills are known to do.  I also noticed the 12khz sounded very close to my Neves.  I was talking to Steven Smith at Altran and he was telling me that Wade from Chandler was the guy who helped them engineer these. There were some original Marinair transformers used to study the type of copper used in the original windings and the quality of steel used in the laminations.  If you get a chance wire some of these output transformers up and let me know what you think.  They definitely have that N sound to my ears. You should probably try to wire these up to your pm 2000's direct outputs.  I think you will be shocked at what you will hear.  And I'd bet Steven at Altran would be more than willing to send you a sample to try.  

customxfmr

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:37:20 PM »

Hello everyone!

We are beginning to produce some neve type output transformers. We do produce several transformers for Chandler, but they are sold exclusively to Chandler limited. We have come up with a couple of standard units that we will offer to the outside world. If anyone is interested, email me at info@altrancorp.com and I will send a PDF of the drawing and pricing. I will have samples available the week of 12-18-06.

rock777

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 09:09:19 AM »

Anybody try these transformers yet .  Any comments

Geoff_T

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 08:26:29 AM »

rock777 wrote on Tue, 12 December 2006 21:28

Fletcher, I didn't change the output transformers in the Neves.  I wired these to my consoles direct outs and other preamps I have been building.  I really didn't know what to expect.  I plugged in a mic to test out the preamps/eq's the low end was huge and clean.  It seemed like it cleaned up the phase shift, I noticed that the transformer didn't distort until +24db to 26db like the Carnhills are known to do.  I also noticed the 12khz sounded very close to my Neves.  I was talking to Steven Smith at Altran and he was telling me that Wade from Chandler was the guy who helped them engineer these. There were some original Marinair transformers used to study the type of copper used in the original windings and the quality of steel used in the laminations.  If you get a chance wire some of these output transformers up and let me know what you think.  They definitely have that N sound to my ears. You should probably try to wire these up to your pm 2000's direct outputs.  I think you will be shocked at what you will hear.  And I'd bet Steven at Altran would be more than willing to send you a sample to try.  

Hi Rock

This appears to be the same thread you started on GearSlutz.

In the interests of accuracy and eliminating any more urban myths, I must contest the statement you made above.

As in your other thread, you completely ignore the THD (total harmonic distortion) issue. I can assure you that any Neve style transformer, including the Carnhills supplied to cloners for aeons, can handle +26dBu across the audio band without significant THD issues and the difference between the original Marinairs and the samples that Carnhill supplied to Neve for their reissue 1073/1084 was the difference in THD between the Marinair and Carnhill at 20Hz and above +26dBu.

I believe the Marinairs were in the region of 4% and the Carnhills up around 10%. Note that there was significant distortion with both so the "no distortion" does not carry any weight in the truth department. You also need to state the load impedance on the transformer at this level.

I know that Altran are supplying transformers to several cloners and I wish them all the best. It's just that posts that gloss over or exaggerate performance issues make me grind my teeth at times!

In the real world, do these performance issues really matter? I'm doubtful and put it in the snake oil category. You'll never use those levels/frequencies and need a variety of transformers... the Carnhill, the Marinair, and the "other LO1166 manufacturer"  (there's no point trying to contact them, by the way)... to make a judgement.

I'm sure most owners of clones are perfectly happy with their 10% thd at 20Hz @ +28dBu!

PS On the topic of slapping a transformer on your console outputs, as I explained in the Gearslutz thread, there's a little more to this than just fitting them and telling us how grand and low distortion they sound... the circuit may even be distorting but in a nice sort of way that you are linking to the overused N word.

For instance, without knowing the circuit details of the PM2000's  output stage and any current limiting protection it may incorporate, there may be issues with it driving the relatively low impedance and highly reactive primary of the transformer. If the output stage has resistive short circuit protection, the transformer may not be happy being sourced from the higher impedance.

The transformer may work better with a shunt resistor across the primary but then this will increase the load on the amplifier output. Then there's the matter of the frequency compensation on the secondary to cope with the load (resistive and reactive) you put on the winding... the effects of which are reflected back to the primary.

Bottom line is that you can't be totally sure that both output stage and transformer are completely happy and working well without a little investigation with some seriously expensive test equipment... like the techs at Neve would have done before they were satisfied.

I'm sure that the Altran transformer has given your console some extra artifacts to the sound that it didn't have before. I'm also sure you like the sound it makes as you are going out of your way to tell everyone!

I would just be very careful of associating the sound you are getting with the N word and blending it with a Carnhills are crap, Altran are great, quazi advertisement.    

Smile    
Geoff Tanner
http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0595093329/ref=sib_dp_pt/104 -6861899-0350336#reader-link

NB Please do not pm me if you want a fast response... please email me.

rock777

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 03:29:21 PM »

Geoff_T again I respect you and thanks for all your help. BUT the only people that are going out of there way is you and barish posting negitive crap trying to dilute the fact that these transformers sound great.  I have been very friendly to you but I have to say you have been knocking these transformers from the beginning and you haven't heard them . Also you said my original  Neve 33118's have a horrid amplifier stage in them basicly bashing my credibility  At gearslutz. When I contacted you by your email you stated that the 33118's are great and I should leave them stock.                                                                           So point blank I say to you  What makes you grind your teeth at times is the fact that you want people to buy your GTQ2 and not even think about wiring these to their console. We all know you have the original Marinair people winding transformers for you, you have made that publicly clear. But the public can't buy those transformers. So you knock the Altran company for building them because you fear they will hurt your profits. Also I guess you dislike Wade at chandler for using them in his designs or whoever is trying to build a Neve sounding preamp.   Something pisses you off about these transformers so come out with the TRUTH Don't talk about my Neve's or capacitors tell people why you really dislike them. I am so sick of  the shitty attitudes that some of the people on these forums walk around with they wouldn't dare talk that way to people in person in fear of losing their front teeth namely Barish and a few others I won't mention. What surprises me is that you have always been a kind  helpful person but when some kind of compitition arises you get pissed that is not right. Why should a person with your credibility give a rats ass about this one way or another. Please don't respond with more negitive words I do not wish to argue about this crap anymore with you or Barish. These transformers sound great How do I know because I have two EARS on the sides of my head just like you so save the condescending crap for someone who doesn't believe in themselves enough to stand up to you. Again for the third time I have no vested interest in Altran nor am I affiliated with them in anyway. I am just tired of taking crap from you people and you know who you are . Also I did not say carnhills are crap do not put words in my mouth. Geoff if you want the  exact specs contact altran.

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »

Okely dokely... Rock777, you've had a chance to blow off some steam and lay down an indictment... if Geoff would like to respond then I would hope his response will be a bit more civil... and that any response you may have will not issue further indictment of his motives.

As far as transformers are concerned I would like to hear the Altran's... I've heard the St. Ives versions of the transformer formerly made by Marinair and they're different from the originals [even the Robin Porter specials in the new "N word" stuff].  FWIW, my assistant ownes a GTQ-2 and we have used it on session in my joint... it sounds very nice in every sense of the word, it is a very competent unit.

The religion of transformers is something individual to each user... things like transformers, 990 type op-amp replacements, etc. are extremely subjective... if the Altran's worked for you you're on the bonus plan... Geoff shouldn't knock them till he's tried them and I would hope that you [Rock777] would refrain from further indictment on the basis of profit motive [which may be real or implied but let's try for at least the outward appearance of civility here... if we don't, then I have to split the thread and move part of it to the Saloon for further warfare].

Fair enough?
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

rock777

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 05:18:30 PM »

I understand Fletcher but I have been attacked by Barish at gearslutz and a little by Geoff. I am interested in a GTQ2 also and may buy one .I bet it is a great tool but I honestly like these transformers I wanted to turn people on to them that have taught me things in the past. Mr. Geoff T I am sorry if I have hurt you in anyway . I just do not want to be attacked when I am voicing my opinion about a product.

Fletcher

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »

I don't know what a "Barish" is, and this ain't Gearslutz.

I understand you like these transformers, and for that I am sincerely happy for you... but dude, strong opinions wrapped in a little decorum will go a lot farther around here than mushy opinions wrapped in vitriol any myth [a bitch slap at many of the GS posts I have read lately, performed with a modicum of decorum... lead by example... right?]
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

rock777

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 06:29:40 PM »

Capisca

Geoff_T

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 03:49:01 AM »

Hi Rock

Wow!

You really ought to read my original post more carefully.

I was not knocking Altran transformers... indeed, I wished them  well.... I was knocking the statements you were making that included a hearsay "Carnhills are known to distort" and that adding a transformer to "console Z" makes it sound like a Neve.

You know, the internet is a powerful tool and what you post here is read by thousands. I don't have a problem with anything that I've posted to this thread nor do I have a problem with what you posted in response.

Smile
Geoff Tanner
http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0595093329/ref=sib_dp_pt/104 -6861899-0350336#reader-link

NB Please do not pm me if you want a fast response... please email me.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 02:48:24 PM »

Lou Reed's Transformer has a lot of distortion.  I'd say as much as 50%!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.