R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG C34?  (Read 4460 times)

Chris Moore

AKG C34?
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:11:28 pm »

Hello all,
I was checking out the mic list of a studio where I might be working, and discovered that they have an AKG C34 stereo mic. From a basic google search, it seems to basically be a FET version of the C24 tube mic, although I'm not sure when it was manufactured. I was wondering whether it was more of a stereo 414, or something completely different. I am curious if anyone had ever used this mic and could compare its sound to the C24 or other AKG mics like the 414. Also let me know if you think this topic is more appropriate for Klaus' forum.

Thanks
Chris Moore

J.J. Blair

Re: AKG C34?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 06:34:26 pm »

The C422 is actually the solid state follw up to the C24.  I'd  actually look at it more as a stereo C414 really.

The C34 actually uses two  double sided SDC capsules based on the CK1, rather than LDCs like the C24 or C414.  Perhaps it would be more accurate to call this a stereo C451?  Or even AKG's counterpart to the Neumann SM2?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Bill Mueller

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 09:50:50 pm »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 12 March 2006 18:34

The C422 is actually the solid state follw up to the C24.  I'd  actually look at it more as a stereo C414 really.

The C34 actually uses two  double sided SDC capsules based on the CK1, rather than LDCs like the C24 or C414.  Perhaps it would be more accurate to call this a stereo C451?  Or even AKG's counterpart to the Neumann SM2?

I used a C24 for twenty five years and own a C34 now. I agree that the C34 sounds as pristine and linear as a pair of 451's. The top end is wonderful. I loved the C24 as well, but we always had problems with the two capsules sounding the same. We sent it back to AKG a couple of times, but it always came back unbalanced. It's still a great mic. As JJ said, the C34 is a small diaphragm mic and the C24 is a large diaphragm mic. In gross terms, that should make the C34 slightly more linear and the C24 slightly more sensitive.

I have a decent mic kit, but the C34 is the nicest to my ear. When I bought it, the cable had been cut. I called AKG and they suggested that I send the mic in for servicing, because they said it is a difficult mic to maintain. However I just bought the $250.00 cable and plugged it in. Heaven.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

drew

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 12:36:09 pm »

Bill,
the C24 has been overhauled by Tracy Korby is back to it's former glory. awesome.
drew

Bill Mueller

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 12:07:13 am »

Drew,

That's excellent news. I used to cut vocals on one channel of that mic and the sound was incredible. BTW, I was out on Friday and borrowed a snake, and then brought it back this afternoon. The place looks great. School everywhere.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

drew

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 11:09:12 am »

yea, it's crazy. your baby is all grown up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up