R/E/P > Reason In Audio

Quad 8

(1/10) > >>

Eric Bridenbaker:
Wondering if anyone here has worked with the Quad8 consoles, and what they are like.

Keep hearing that they are among the best sounding boards ever built, something to do with a +/-30V power rail and expanded headroom, top notch EQ's etc.... very curious about any info regarding this company and the way the equipment sounds.

Best,
Eric

ToddP:
Eric Bridenbaker wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 13:13
Wondering if anyone here has worked with the Quad8 consoles, and what they are like.

Keep hearing that they are among the best sounding boards ever built, something to do with a +/-30V power rail and expanded headroom, top notch EQ's etc.... very curious about any info regarding this company and the way the equipment sounds.

Best,
Eric

Larry DeVivo wrote a very interesting and informative article on the history of Electrodyne (who built the Quad 8 consoles) in the Sept./ Oct. issue of Tape Op. Check it out if you get a chance.

blueboy:
I don't know if this will interest you but...

http://www.digitalprosound.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=3 5696

JL

J.J. Blair:
Brian Kehew owns one.  Click on my Use Your Ears link in my sig and ask there, and Brian will answer you, I'm sure.

compasspnt:
I bought one new, a Quad Eight / Mitsubishi "Westar," in about '85-86.  I recorded many albums on it, and was always well pleased.  REM's "Green" was done on that desk, as well as Stevie Ray & Jimmy Vaughan's "Brothers" album, produced by Nile.  I did a couple of Fab T-birds, some ZZ mixes, and lots more on it.

There were at least 3 different EQ modules which could be plugged in to each channel, as well as two empty slots which would service the mix buss.  I had mostly the basic ones, and about 8 of the fully parametric.  Never had, but always wanted, the graphics.

My Lucas Engineering technician tells me that the IC's in the EQ's could certainly be upgraded.

It always seemed quite clean, and the pre's were fine.  Looked a bit MCI-ish, but was much more solidly built.  Mitsu bought them about the time Sony bought MCI.

I finally sold it just a few years ago to The Tragically Hip.  They had cut their very first album on it 18 years earlier.  It lives in Canada now.

At the time, many people didn't think too much of them...now it's a Classic.

Sometimes I wish I had it back...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version