R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: product that removes phantom power?  (Read 4180 times)

nicholastaplin

product that removes phantom power?
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:08:56 AM »

As I only have three ribbon mics, it seems silly to construct XLR patchbays for my mics just to avoid zapping my ribbons with phantom power.  Is there a product which filters out phantom power from a mic pre where the phantom power is not switchable (like the preamps on the MCI 416A mixer)?

Best,
Nicholas

Fletcher

Re: product that removes phantom power?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:01:08 AM »

There are two... one is a transformer, [which will most likely reside in the body of your microphone - the other is capacitors [you'll need two, one for the connection to "pin 2" and one for the connection to "pin 3".

If what you're worried about is the uneven application of phantom power when using a TRS patch cable, nothing can stop that - except connecting the microphone after you've made the patch on the patchbay.

The TRS patching of mic lines with phantom on them is equally destructive to dynamic microphones as it is to ribbon microphones... and frankly condenser microphone are also bothered by the brief hit of unequal phantom power.

It is best to connect your mics after you've made your patches as a general rule... OR... to build a "microphone patchbay" from XLR connectors instead of TRS connectors.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.