R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: purple mixer  (Read 1962 times)

petemin

purple mixer
« on: November 09, 2005, 01:34:20 AM »

john,

just curious if you had any involvement with andrew robert's purple audio mixer?  thanks, pete

John Klett

Re: purple mixer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 05:27:23 AM »

a bit - I have some input - it's really Andrew's product and I help where I can - I have a desk next to his so it's hard to not Kibitz...  but that's pretty much the extent of it.  

I can say... and this is unofficial as far as Purple is concerned as I am not Andrew... that the mixer is settling in.  There have been several stages of work sorting things out.  You are familiar with the process I'm aware.  It takes a long time to work everything out with a product like that...  almost always longer than planned...  but as I see it he's on the final revs right now and then the mixers that exist get upgraded to that and he has a stable product.
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

petemin

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 10:34:02 AM »

john,

thanks for getting back to me so promptly.  initially, when i approached andrew about building me a console, i somehow thought you might be involved and given your excellent  reputation, i gave andrew a deposit.  i need to sort some issues with andrew and can't seem to get them resolved as he rarely gets back to me.  do you have any idea how to get in touch with him?  thanks in advance.  pete

John Klett

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 04:18:35 PM »

a familiar topic...

Best way to reach Andrew is by email... maito:purple@purpleaudio.com.  He gets a lot of spam that gets filtered into a spam box - at a rate of roughly 2000 per day.  Mail gets lost in there sometimes so if you don't get a response in a couple days then try again.  Once he responds, as long as your return and from addresses agree, you get onto his white list and you won't be filtered again.  If he is in the office he sees his e'mail in-box every couple hours.  I think he tries to sort through the spam box every couple days.

The main Purple phone number is 718-482-8494.  Calling on the phone is not a  means of "immediate" communication - for one thing he is most of the time operating on a schedule compatible with Hawaii or Guam and when he is trying to get a lot done (see below) he answers the phone infrequently.  He does listen to the messages and, if there is something that needs to be addressed that he can resolve right away then he will call right away.

He is trying, and succeeding, to get a lot done... that has been a pretty much continuous state of being for the last couple years... and that means his normally mediocre to so-so communications skills often degrade down to poor or sucks.  But he has been doing things...  Rather than abandon the MC76 as a product when a key OEM part (the input attenuator) became impossible to get he came up with good substitute and, at the same time, upgraded the product to become the MC77 with the same sound but with powerful new features.  He has been designing master section products for console retrofits and for his Super8 mixer - there were multiple prototypes and revisions along the way on that.  The Purple Audio amplifier modules came into being.  The Super8 mixer itself is taking final form and there were multiple revisions there too.   The amplifier modules are getting a revisit to get the footprint of the big one down to something that fits in a 2520/990 compatible socket.   The Biz preamp is doing well - the lead time on some of the parts has been problematic but this is slowly being sorted out... and there are other products in process that are not yet announced.  There is progress - just not where it might be obvious.

Communications with Purple could be better.  He knows it.  Once in a while people contact me in order to reach Andrew...  sometimes that works but it's not my job.  It should be someone's job but, when given a choice between paying someone to assemble product or hiring someone to provide a great "front end", he went with what would get more product built so he can keep up with orders.  He has Ed and that has helped the "back end" substantially...  it's all a work in progress.

Of course there are a number of people who have gotten frustrated and feel this is no way to do business and from their point of view they are right.  There is no point in trying to argue that - and that potential business is possibly lost forever - who knows.  I have seen both sides of this with Purple and I have been on both side of this with a number of manufacturers.  At the end of the day I have seen that he does support his product and that the product is pretty damned good once matured...  which is where the mixers will be in a matter of several weeks or so - it's that close.  Personally I'd prefer to wait and deal with poor communications if I know that in the end I am going to get solid product that I like.  Ever deal with Sontec? or Stephen Paul? ...may he rest in peace...

so - with all that said...  Pete, you can PM me and I can listen and respond with opinions about how I think you can proceed...

John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

crm0922

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 05:07:55 AM »

I got a little of that communication breakdown stuff when dealing with Andrew.  He did call a week after my parts were delivered to ask if everything worked as planned.  He didn't answer the question I emailed him, though...

At that point, I wasn't even close to getting started with installation and had already figured out the technical query...  Now it all works beautifully and sounds like a gazillion bucks, which is zillions of bucks more than I paid for that Purple stuff.

Anyways, i think he might consider explaining his cramped schedule as a matter of course when he conducts business.  I wouldn't have a problem if he told me before I bought something from him that he might be hard to get a hold of.  I would have factored that into my decision to deal with him, and his upfront honesty would be a big plus.  Not returning calls or emails *is* sucks, because we are all busy as well.

After saying that, my Purple experience has been pretty solid, but a lot of that is because the products are superbly designed and implemented.  Console retrofit...more like console deification. Shocked

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.