R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customer Education  (Read 1157 times)

t(h)ik

Customer Education
« on: November 14, 2005, 08:57:32 AM »

Hey Gang,

I am still trying to figure out all the questions, let alone all the answers to running my own recording studio.

Maybe a sticky here...or a boot in my ass out the door....about what I should be worried about to ensure quality from the point of mix down to removing the cellophane from the end product.

My customers are underground bands or slightly below super-stardom.  This may not always be the case but I don't care if it stays like this either.  I have a rapidly growing business and I am finding out that many people the bands interact with have a laissez-faire attitude about how the final mix is handled.

They look at this as just another project.  There is no paper trail and they have no idea what I am on about when I complain about downloading something and burning it with Nero 4.0 and writing on the CDR "Master Copy" is not pro.  They have also lost material I have sent them....unfukkenreal...

Could you please take a sec a let me know what qualifies as a minimum standard for mastering and handling a project once I send it out to the ME?

Not to digress but isn't this the producers job?

I am thinking about not taking any projects in the future unless there is a professional chain from beginning to end.  I am in this and willing to combat my own inabilities but refuse to acknowledge the "I don't think that matters" types....Fuck that.  Or maybe make every project a Record/Mix/Master/Dup price for non-pros......please help.

Lemme nough

Tik
I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

bblackwood

Re: Customer Education
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 04:07:16 PM »

At a minimum the mixes should be well labeled to avoid any potential errors or delays later. As for who is responsible, that really varies according to the production, but relying on the band to handle the  masters properly/safely is probably not the best idea if it can be avoided...

Other than that, just stay in communication with your mastering engineer - every one is different and has different standards for what they like to see.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.