R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rules of the house... READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!  (Read 30141 times)

Fletcher

Rules of the house... READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »

In Sonny Barger's Autobiography he commented "anytime there is a rule it means that someone did something to necessitate it"... and went on to cite examples like "no throwing ammunition in the camp fire", "no sleeping with another member's girlfriend", and a few more I can't remember at the moment.

In Sonny's case the rules seem rather simple and plain common sense... and generally, for the majority of the time this forum has been around, we really didn't need to post "the rules" as an "announcement" as most people follow the [pretty much] unwritten guidelines.

To that end, I have deemed it necessary to write some of the unwritten for the purposes of clarification.

Simply - use your real name.  If you have something to say here, please feel free to say whatever it is you would like [however, decisions on the appropriateness of the comment is open to interpretation... and the decision of the judges is final]... ad hominem comments are not welcome!!!!  ...as is commercially motivated information unless you've PM'ed me and cleared it first [some will be permitted - most will not].

I would like everyone to be accountable for their statements, so if you have a doubt as to whether or not what you're about to post is cool or not... a good rule of thumb is don't post anything here you wouldn't say to someone's face.  In other words - no ad hominem bullshit - period - keep it professional.  Its fine to disagree, but its not fine to call someone out because of a spelling error, or call them a "school yard" name. 

When you respond to a post - pretend you're in the same room with the poster to whom you're responding and all should work out perfectly.  Anonymity is a powerful tool for mis-information as well as marketing / hype dissemination and the feeling you can get away with personal attacks.  To further the "anti-anonymity" concept, it will be greatly appreciated if you attach a link to your professional affiliation

By professional affiliation I mean a link to your studio [if you have one], or a link to your discography if you're an independent.  A link to the company by whom you're employed [as is usually my case] so we can have a better understanding of your point of reference, or in some cases, biases. 

If you are a "weekend warrior" [and there is nothing wrong with that] then please add "weekend warrior" [so similar] to your signature file or the end of your post.  If you just got out of school - cool... welcome to the forum with open arms... but it will be helpful to know that you are at the entry level of the game.  It doesn't necessarily mean that anyone will look down upon your posts, but it can give other posters an idea of your level of experience and probably help them to be patient when correcting the "facts" you have been taught while at school.

If you would like to add link to a cause with which you are involved, or a cute saying, etc. -- feel free... BUT, "real name" and "professional affiliation" are mandatory.  The only exceptions [and once again, the decision of the judges is final] will be folks I've seen here [and on other forums] for a bunch of years who have a history of being respectful, and have "earned their stripes".  Some are known to me, others are not but will be "grandfathered" in until I feel a request to add "name and professional affiliation" is needed [at which point a PM will be sent with that request].

Last - if you don't have "first hand" experience with something - CLARIFY YOUR STATEMENT about it.  For example saying "its common knowledge that ______ makes shitty gear" is totally unacceptable.  There are tons of "common knowledge" things that are total horseshit.  What is acceptable is "I tried to use a _____ from _____ when trying to record (mix, overdub, etc.) a Djembe and it totally sucked hamster dick".  If that's your impression of the tool in that application, no problem.  There are some forum sets on the internet that thrive in the creation and support of bullshit myths.  This ain't one of them!!!!

So... hopefully there aren't too many rules, and hopefully there will be no need to add any rules... basically, the hope is that no one will do anything that will indeed necessitate the installation of additional rules... so, if you could use a bit of "common sense" and refrain from throwing live ammunition into a fire, then chances are better than even we won't have to jot down any additional rules.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

nukmusic

• Real Full Name: Johnnie Docta'J Harris
Re: Rules of the house... READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:06:46 AM »

8) Dam good rules!!

AgusHardiman

• Real Full Name: Agus Hardiman
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:28:33 AM »

I'm using my own photo & have links of my professional affiliation down here, so I hope it's adequate  :)
[ THE MUSIC FOR MEDIA ]
For royalti free music library....Check my portofolio & buy it in http://audiojungle.net/user/agushardiman
My music showcase : www.soundcloud.com/agushardiman
My studio : www.StudioMusikTek.com

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »

Couldn't be more perfect Agus... hope you enjoy the forum!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

AgusHardiman

• Real Full Name: Agus Hardiman
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:33 AM »

Couldn't be more perfect Agus... hope you enjoy the forum!!

Peace
Thanks Fletcher, great forums !
[ THE MUSIC FOR MEDIA ]
For royalti free music library....Check my portofolio & buy it in http://audiojungle.net/user/agushardiman
My music showcase : www.soundcloud.com/agushardiman
My studio : www.StudioMusikTek.com

umashankar

• Real Full Name: umashankar manthravadi
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 10:08:07 AM »

can I post links to a kickstarter project - Brahma ambisonic microphone - as I am associated with it?

Umashankar

Mickeyrouse

• Real Full Name: Mickey Rouse
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 08:07:21 AM »

Makes sense- how uncommon these days.
Mickey Rouse
Beaumont, Texas
acme Sound & Demolition

Jim Williams

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »

Mickey, is that your real name or did your parents have a big sense of humour?

I also know an Alan Wrench and a Harry Pitts.

adamrose045

• Real Full Name: adam rose
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 03:27:52 AM »

Hope you enjoy the forum!!
Join online sql server exam and COMPTIA to pass Cankdeska Cikana Community Collegeexam in first try. Our best quality Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)and You tubeguide you well for real exam.

polypals

• Real Full Name: Paul Kirchhoff
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »

Recording engineers an arrogant bunch?

Nonsense, it is a privilige to register the music during a live transmission that 200+ million people are watching.

Jim Williams

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »

Recording engineers an arrogant bunch?

They used to be when there was billions to be made.

Now you see them on the Laural Canyon 101 offramp holding a sign that reads: "Will mix for food".

polypals

• Real Full Name: Paul Kirchhoff
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 06:06:21 AM »

I am not that hungry, there is still a decent income to be made for
experienced pros.

Fletcher

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 11:59:22 PM »

There is... but way too many of my friends who used to be booked 15+ months in advance are now "lucky" to get 120 days of work at "card rate" a year... its a sad state in which we live these days.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 10:17:10 AM »

The old guys past on.
The young guys got old.
The labels got more and more paranoid and apprehensive.
Too many in the younger generation got lazy/ignorant in their musical tastes.
In the forties and fifties, children were exposed to big bands and symphony orchestras that had top-notch professional musicians playing music by real composers. Whether you liked it or not, you were exposed to quality music.
Popular music became even more of a copycat of itself.
School music programs were left under funded if not ended completely. Music appreciation classes aren’t mandatory.
Home/self recording kept musicians from learning from seasoned professionals.
MP3’s created a quantity over quality paradigm.
The bar band scene became increasingly exploitive, making it harder for original acts to get exposure.
The loudness wars destroyed nuance in recorded music.
Perhaps to a lesser extent the fact that the eighties and nineties saw a mean spirited and hateful element come into popular music. Shock value, rather than musicianship or message became the selling point.
On and on it goes.
Tis truly a sad time dear friends…dino
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.

Jim Williams

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 12:27:24 PM »

While all that came about, music has lost it's influence and importance in the average person's life. It was a driving force in the 1960's, today it's a footnote.

People have many more diversions available for their entertainment dollar, music is just another facet to compete against all of that.

I submit if the internet didn't exist, music would be far more important and popular than it is today. Bored people will play music if there's nothing else to do.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 23 queries.