R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: To compress or not to compress....  (Read 5463 times)

Augustine Leudar

To compress or not to compress....
« on: November 06, 2005, 02:52:59 PM »

Classical music has a large dynamic range.
If you were to compress a whole symphony and you wanted to make the quiet bits a little bit louder without making the loud bits quieter, how would you set your compressor ?
I am using waves c4 and have the threshold set high and the gain slightly up.
Maybe its just lazy and I should do it all manually with the faders  Rolling Eyes
Anyone know a better digital compressor (if you had to use digital)or have any useful tips ?
cheers,
Gus

Level

Re: To compress or not to compress....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 03:22:20 PM »

C4 is brutal to classical music. Without listening to the score, it would be all but imposable to recommend anything with it.

Now...take this with a grain of salt..if you are using plugs, try the ren compressor. get a feel for what it does to the pianissimo passages. Your noise floor will come up. This is guaranteed. Use the ever so slight settings. Quick rise time and long decay.

I have a VERY dynamic concert I recorded in 1999 and it just so happens I revisited it last night to "see how I did" compared to today. I used analogue outboard compression, never more than 1.5 to 1 and if I recall correctly, all I needed was a few few db on the ppp parts and this bass clarinet solo needed to come up some. In post, I had a rough time with her so the only answer was to regroup, re seat, re record and dub her in. You may not have this luxury.

Also..it does not hurt (if you are very careful and pay close attention to your zero crossings) to region off sections and nudge the level just a shade incrementally during a decrescendo. I know..it is hard but when you are talking about -55dB instruments VS peaks of 0.5dB, you HAVE to accommodate the consumer side of the production.

This, is a total ears deal here.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Tidewater

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 03:23:50 PM »

Dynamics? Yes, they are supposed to be there. Smile

That said, you need something called 'companding' to do what you just asked about. expanding/compressing.. you are bringing the floor up, and knocking the top off, decreasing dynamic range, both directions.

Waves.. try C1 instead of C4. You'll have to mess with the settings. I think there may possibly be a stock setup to get you going.

I haven't done any companding since DBX! I think DBX was 2:1 compress, and 2:1 expand. you want the compression to be quick, and the expansion to be slower.

Classical? Please don't do it.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Level

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 03:30:23 PM »

Miles, some recordings have so much range that if you had 1000 watts of output power you would go into severe clipping. Just to even hear some of the light brush strokes on a snare during ppp parts would require an extra 50 to 60dB of power for the fff parts. I am afraid that without some form of slight compression, none of this would be consumer compatable, even with the finest of systems.

I am not talking about smashing it..no no no no noooo.

But anything you record MUST be consumer compatable.

One reproduction that had to be compressed when offered was Telarc's (Cincinatti) 1812th overture. Just the difference between the concert bass drum and the Canon fire (both fff instruments) was over 15dB, obviously, you would never hear the intro if it were not. They used the least limiting as they could get away with.

Ever seen the grooves on the actual album? WOW!

Some idea of this...the tympani stroke during the opening (supposed to be forte) was at -31dB peak.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

CCC

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 04:00:12 PM »

Augustine Leudar wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 14:52

Classical music has a large dynamic range.
If you were to compress a whole symphony and you wanted to make the quiet bits a little bit louder without making the loud bits quieter, how would you set your compressor ?
I am using waves c4 and have the threshold set high and the gain slightly up.
Maybe its just lazy and I should do it all manually with the faders  Rolling Eyes
Anyone know a better digital compressor (if you had to use digital)or have any useful tips ?
cheers,
Gus

the classical guys that i know tend to eschew compression as i recollect. however i do know of some folks who will do one of two things; either pop the level on the entire program up a few db and then reduce the level on the peaks to avoid clips (time and labor intensive); or just raise the level on the pianissimo bits a little. this is all done manually in a workstation, not by using an actual compressor.

Tidewater

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 04:09:06 PM »

These timpani players need to stop stroking, and hit the damned drums! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

When I say 'no', I feel like most people are going to think I mean 'maybe some', and stay mindful. It's the alarmist in me.

In my defense, I did explain a method to help it, but, I'll plead guilty, and take my licks.

1812? Where would one find a cannonist, that doesn't play by ear?

Smile

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Barry Hufker

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 04:32:34 PM »

I record a lot of classical music.  The best compressor is you.  Know the score.  Anticipate loud passages and pull them down a bit.  Anticipate soft passages and pull them up a bit.  That's best.

If you must use a plugin, use one that allows the loud passages to peak without reduction and one that just brings up the lower level signals.

Barry

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 07:23:33 PM »

Mic sections and soloists and you won't have these problems that y'all are trying to fix with the compression.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------