R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATR-100 - 15ips, IEC1 - Low end mod?  (Read 1276 times)

bushwick

ATR-100 - 15ips, IEC1 - Low end mod?
« on: November 06, 2005, 02:43:36 PM »

Does anyone have a mod for running their machine at 15 ips IEC1 that will allow for proper low end adjustment?

The problem from where I sit is that when I do my alignment I am not able to print my 100hz properly...

I am using a NAB cal tape and per Jay McKnights instructions I am altering the procedure accordingly...

Playback alignment:
1khz        Same with respect to NAB adjustment
10 khz     -2.51db with respect to NAB adjustment
100hz       +1.5db with respect to NAB adjustment

There is no low eq adjustment in record electronics, I am not worrying about that, per se,  but I would like to compensate in the playback electronics of my machine so I can hear what it ought to be sounding like. The low end at the moment is a bit hotter than it ought to be. I cannot get my vu to drop below 0vu and I would like to be able to get them to go back to -1.5vu to hear things properly.

I am liking the results of IEC1 at 15 for the noise.... but I would like to adjust this...

And yes, I have made the correct internal changes in the machine for IEC1...

Thanks for the thoughts.

Best,
j

**EDIT**

I'll say that what comes off the repro head sounds great, but I really want to know if this is accurate or just extra lowend boost. Do the internal switches account for the frequency shifts properly and if so, why can't I alter the lower the gain of the low eq on the playback electronics enough? I am using flux magnetics extended response heads.

Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

bobkatz

Re: ATR-100 - 15ips, IEC1 - Low end mod?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 07:56:22 PM »

bushwick wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 14:43

I am using a NAB cal tape and per Jay McKnights instructions I am altering the procedure accordingly...

Does this particular Jay McKnight instruction include proper compensation for track width?

It is probably more accurate to adjust the playback low frequency EQ for flattest response while in record. I know that seems strange, but it does deal wih the problem that most alignment tapes are full track and your heads are not (the fringing effect). Just make sure that your record electronics are also set for IEC. If there is a head bump, go for flattest response from, say 40 to 200 Hz taking into account the largest bump and dip as the extremes.

And yes, Jay M. approves of this method! (adjusting pb low frequency response in record... assuming the record electronics are in proper shape).

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bushwick

Re: ATR-100 - 15ips, IEC1 - Low end mod?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 08:08:29 PM »

Hey Bob-

Thanks. Yes I adjust my low frequency during record on both multi and two track. With regards to the operation of IEC1 and in reference to NAB, the IEC1 eq curve shifts the recorded energy away from the bottom end and towards the top. I am curious how this is satisfied with the dip switches in my machine, because according to my logic it is not, at least not with my heads on my machine and not using a fringing compensated MRL as a reference.

Why do I feel this way?

I am able to compensate as per Jay McKnights instructions to align 10 k properly (underalign 10k by 2.51 db and leave 1 k where NAB would align it). However supposing you could adjust the low end on these machines, you would align over the NAB point at 100hz by 1.5 db for playback alignment so that your record alignment at 0vu would be down 1.5 db relative to NAB.

A) I cannot reduce the low end my record alignment at all beyond what the machine electronics are putting out (thats fine, no one else can either Smile)

B) I cannot compensate on playback by reducing my low end below 0vu.

So the questions are two:
1) Is there something wrong with my logic?
2) Is there a mod that will open up the range of the Playback Low EQ adjustment?

Thanks,
joshua

Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 16 queries.