R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Colored" sound -pre's, or any piece of gear.  (Read 6915 times)

trock

"Colored" sound -pre's, or any piece of gear.
« on: November 02, 2005, 08:40:30 AM »

Ok back to the tech questions. I am trying to understand coloring a little better. i had an avalon M5 pre and a 747sp as my front chain once, with a AT4050 mic for acoustic and vocals. i really didn;t like the sound i was getting no matter how i fiddled with it.

I sold the M5, 747, and 4050 and got an API lunch box, 512, now a 550 and an RNC with peluso 251 mic

i love the sound now, it comes out "rough"? and yes i am looking for a rock sound ala goo goo dolls. i can't explain it better than the API setup seems to give me some lite distortion or whatever and really is good for the sound i am after

that being said, i have also read about gear that is considered Clean and some that are colored?

is there any type of list anywhere that sort of catagorizes this?? or is it impossible to do that??

i just read that the New Neve Pre and tape Emu might have the sound i am looking for, colored and was wondering about other manufacturers that might fall into this category so i can look at something new at soem point if needed??

thanks

NelsonL

Re: "Colored" sound -pre's, or any piece of gear.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:45:10 AM »

Why don't you fill up your lunchbox first?

I'm assuming you have open slots-- if you have the two slot rack then nevermind, except that's not really a lunchbox to my thinking.

If you like the 512, you'll definitely benefit from having a pair.

trock

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:49:12 PM »

Hey rattle

sorry i think i typed my question and description wrong

i was just wondering if certain pre's etc can be categorized as ones that "color" your sound and others that are considered clean etc

that way if/when i want to try something a little different but still in the same vein i sort of have a list to start from

thanks

fletcher have you tried the portico stuff??

vernier

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:35:05 PM »

You want tubes then.

NelsonL

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:00:52 PM »

vernier wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 11:35

You want tubes then.

Vernier, what models do you recomend? The "T" word is much abused in the prosumer market.

Tim-- On the transistor side, a lot of the discrete, transformer balanced stuff exhibits coloration to some extent.

As for currently manufactured stuff, I like the Chandler TG2 quite a bit. It's different from the API stuff, but has a nice character of it's own.

Coco

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:57:34 PM »

A fantastic tube pre at an even more fantastic price is the Tab-Funkenwerk V-78. I likes it so much I bout another. I like them as room mic pres and never tried one on elec. guitar until last weekend. Some guys don't like tube pres on electric guitar but man it sounded great. Had a Sennheiser 421 through a TG-2 and gefell M582 tube mic with LDC M7 capsule and holy shit. Could have just used the M582/Tab combo. It is not cloudy like cheap tube pres. The V-78 is crisp clean and clear and you can dial in the grit as needed.
Colin G.

Jack Schitt

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 06:14:32 PM »

The GT brick is good choice in my opinion that is above the $100 prosumer niche ART and Presonus play in. Rumor has it its a channel from the Vipre. Can't confirm or deny that but it sounds quite good and works well for my needs.

Nathan Eldred

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 04:03:05 PM »

Denny W. wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 18:14

The GT brick is good choice in my opinion that is above the $100 prosumer niche ART and Presonus play in. Rumor has it its a channel from the Vipre. Can't confirm or deny that but it sounds quite good and works well for my needs.

It is a nice preamp...but it's not a channel from the Vipre, there aren't enough tubes in the Brick.
Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

vernier

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 04:48:51 PM »

The word "colored" doesn't cut it. I'd say great tube gear possesses magic.

NelsonL

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 05:07:53 PM »

vernier wrote on Thu, 03 November 2005 13:48

The word "colored" doesn't cut it. I'd say great tube gear possesses magic.

Unicorns are magic too, but impractical for commuting.

Which tube pre in in particular does this David Copperfield routine?

I'm really curious cuz my Ampex 601 is mystical at best.

Jack Schitt

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 07:50:04 PM »

Nathan Eldred wrote on Thu, 03 November 2005 16:03

Denny W. wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 18:14

It is a nice preamp...but it's not a channel from the Vipre, there aren't enough tubes in the Brick.

Cool thanks! I've never seen/used a Vipre to compare.

vernier

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 03:35:10 AM »

The word "colored" implies that a pre might be tainted in some way. Was probably thunk up when solid-state came on the scene, when transistors had to be hyped to get sold. My pres aren't colored ...they're magical.

maxdimario

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 07:05:47 AM »

every electronic amplifier or recorder or microphone 'colors' the sound in some way.

anyone who claims that their gadget does not color the sound is either ignorant, lying, or has added tons of negative feedback to 'mathematically' remove the artifacts so that they can publish low distortion specs..

tube stuff sounds great, realistic and keeps the magic of performance, because of the way it works..Most hi-end pro tube stuff that is..

cheap tube stuff with bad power supplies, cheap tubes and transformers is what gave tubes a bad name, although the vacuum tube is a superior active component for audio regarding bandwidth, noise, current vs. voltage, linearity etc.

transistor stuff ranges from brittle and harsh to clean and punchy.. with some discrete stuff sounding good, some custom made desks sounding excellent (german broadcast F.E.) and rivalling tubes, but with more punch.

op-amps and other cheap IC circuits are usually a dissapointment audio-wise...but they are good for DC voltage calculations.. Rolling Eyes

NelsonL

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 11:33:43 AM »

vernier wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 00:35

The word "colored" implies that a pre might be tainted in some way. Was probably thunk up when solid-state came on the scene, when transistors had to be hyped to get sold. My pres aren't colored ...they're magical.

Which one's are those again?

vernier

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 09:15:53 PM »

Old tube ones (there's only four or five brands).
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.