R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pixel Revolt.  (Read 2420 times)

j.hall

Pixel Revolt.
« on: November 01, 2005, 05:11:18 PM »

so, this is old news, but i'm not allowed out of my basement too often.

john vanderslice put out his fifth full length earlier this year, Pixel Revolt.  i just got a copy.

i've listened to about 3/4 of it.  any body have any opinions?

what do you think of scott solter's production?

JV's song writing?

Bivouac

Re: Pixel Revolt.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 06:31:02 PM »

I got it as soon as I possibly could (at Best Buy no less, indie stores suck around here...) and had no idea what to expect because I  refrained from downloading anything prior...

Initial reactions:

-WOW!  This the cleanest sounding John Vanderslice record to date...
-John's voice is really coming into its own...
-This is the fullest low end I think I've ever heard...
-More straight forward than previous efforts
-Really dark lyrically, a great contrast with the bright sounding music...
-"Continuation" sucks...
-"CRC7173, Affectionately" isn't much better...

It actually took me a little while to warm up to this record though.  A lot of the electronic elements seemed a little strange to me at first, but after hearing those songs live, they now make SO much more sense.  I still hate "Continuation" and feel "CRC7173" is kind of bland for a JV song.  Both I feel were unrealized, probably due to his intentionally rushed writing and recording style.  It allows for so many brilliant and spontaneous moments, but those songs certainly fell victim because of it.

I love "Letter to the East Coast" and "Trance Manual"...

Rivers

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 11:19:26 PM »

I love it.
It's a grower.
Bivouac-Give Continuation a chance it's become one of my favorites.
The Production seems understated but also never gets in the way of the songs.The songs remind me of well written short stories.He has a interesting slant on lyrica(and song) writing.
I liked some of the Sonics on Cellar door a bit better but proably like the songs on Pixel Revolt better.
Smell the Magic
http://www.katp.com

Ryan A. Mills

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »

I do sound for a band who are opening for JV in San Francisco on the 5th of November. Anyone planning on coming out? If so, stop by the sound booth during The Most Serene Republic and say hello.

I'm listening to JVs new album during the drive today. I can't wait. I'm not too familiar with his work but I've heard only good things.

NelsonL

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 12:47:58 PM »

Ryan A. Mills wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 09:33

I do sound for a band who are opening for JV in San Francisco on the 5th of November. Anyone planning on coming out? If so, stop by the sound booth during The Most Serene Republic and say hello.

I'm listening to JVs new album during the drive today. I can't wait. I'm not too familiar with his work but I've heard only good things.

I was thinking of coming, but I'm not sure I can make it afterall. If I do I'll be sure to say hello.

If you have time check out the opening act; Thee More Shallows, they're on my list in the local thread. I haven't seen them live yet but I really like their record a lot.

As for Pixel Revolt, the two free mp3's are starting to draw me in on second an third listen-- maybe I'll pick the cd up today.

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 02:39:36 PM »

ok, here is my initial impression after 1.25 listens.

i think the songwriting shows John is trying to explore new directions inside himself and see where it might take him.  personally, i think most every song ont he record is weak.  that being said, i also hear so many elements that i feel i don't understand or haven't let hit me right that my initial thought is just way to premature.  this record shows a whole new side of John that i think a person needs to sit down and just let it hit them new and fresh and be absorbed into it.

lyrically i think John is shoving too much into too short a space.  the story lines are wonderful, and i've tipped my hat to John multiple times for his ability to tell stories in such a personal way that leaves the listener wondering if it's about him or not, to which he always hugs me, says thanks, and then leaves the details a mystery.....which makes me love it even more.  i think pixel revolt  has moments where it's like listening to a person sing an actual short story.  a lot of his metaphor and implication is gone and he's spelling things out.  i don't like that so much, but i hope it grows on me.

production.  

what can i say, i've been a scott solter fan for a while now.  i dubbed him "tchad blake jr." a few years back and i'll stand by that now more then ever.  his use of unconventional techniques, programming and odd sounds is only second to tchad.  and scott's low end is just getting bigger and bigger......scott's records draw me into his world which is a characteristic of a recording i find absolutely magical.

Bivouac

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 02:47:45 PM »

Anyone want to comment on Erik Friedlander?  I think the string sounds on this album were a perfect fit and a huge improvement over a lot of the sampled stuff JV was using before.  "The Golden Gate" really moves me.  I almost had to pull over the first time I heard it...

I also think it's hilarious that I own the LP now but have no turntable to play it on.  I'd love to hear "The Kingdom"...

Ryan A. Mills

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 10:45:30 PM »

John really is the nicest guy ever. The show was great. The venue (Independent, I think it's called) sounded AMAZING! What a great day. Probably the best day I've had in years.

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 10:14:39 AM »

i'm starting to really fall in love with this record.  Exodus Damage has me replaying it several times......

j.hall

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 10:22:06 PM »

any interest in having scott solter show up around here to talk about making this record?

Rivers

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 11:05:08 PM »

Absolutely!
It better be better than the Walla Death Cab forum though Shocked
Smell the Magic
http://www.katp.com

archtop

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 12:01:26 AM »

I spoke with Scott briefly after the Showbox show in Seattle last year.

What a sweet humble guy.

Get him over here J. Smile
Richard Williams

j.hall

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 07:55:14 PM »

i've spoken to scott a few times and hung out with him once.  not nearly enough for him to remember.......but whatever.

i can't promise anything, he's typically pretty busy, but i'll get in touch with him and see if he's cool with it.

i think he's an extremely inventive engineer and very talented.  i think we could call take something away from him if he chooses to come on for a brief while.

mainly, some of his techniques inspire me to keep pushing into new ground.

NelsonL

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 01:53:39 PM »

Finally bought a copy last night on my 3rd attempt— I guess I just needed to head over to the mission and get closer to the source.

Trance Manual is indeed a great tune, I find myself singing bits of it as I wander through the day.

Just played the whole thing for the first time, I have to say I’m happy I bought it. Too bad I missed the show though.

By all means bring Scott aboard if he's game.

Edit: I accidentally misquoted J. Hall-- maybe Fox news has a gig for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.