R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ??Gimme Some Lovin??  (Read 3136 times)

minister

??Gimme Some Lovin??
« on: November 01, 2005, 02:18:33 PM »

i just mixed a commercial spot where the client has the right to "Gimme Some Lovin." by the Spencer Davis Group.  i ripped it off the CD.

WTF?

it sounded LOUD and over compressed and generally pretty BAD.  was it really mixed and mastered this way?
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Greg Youngman

Re: ??Gimme Some Lovin??
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 03:26:50 PM »

minister wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 11:18

it sounded LOUD and over compressed and generally pretty BAD.  was it really mixed and mastered this way?

Depends upon what CD you ripped it from.  The quality of re-releases can vary all over the map.  It seems like the version I have is pretty decent sounding.  I'll have to see what label it's on.

That song kicks ass.  I think Steve was 16 when he belted out that vocal.  I heard him perform on a radio show last year.  I'm not easily impressed, but his performance was stellar.  He's one of my favorites.
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

minister

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 05:53:04 PM »

yeah, i'll check my copy too...it is under a pile of...

yeah, mr. winwood had the mojo.  and you can understand why hendrix wanted him in his band.
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 07:37:27 PM »

minister wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 16:53

yeah, mr. winwood had the mojo.  and you can understand why hendrix wanted him in his band.

Shouldn't that read Mr. Winwood HAS the mojo ?

Last time I checked he's still rockin'
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

lowland

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 04:00:36 AM »

Trivia corner: John Glover, who managed a band I was in from 1980, is one of the people shouting in the background, and IIRC playing tambourine as well.

John started his music career as a roadie with Spencer Davis and went on to manage Free, Paul Kossoff (I believe he had to deal with the situation when Kossoff died on a plane) and later Go West, helping to set up Island Records along the way. A full career by any standards, but AFAIK he's still active - Terry probably knows him.

The song is one of my all-time faves - such energy, life and simplicity with that hair-stand-on-end factor, everything I think good pop music should be - even a duff mastering job would be hard pressed to take that away, which I suppose is how so much good music is tolerated in 'slaughtered' condition.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

PP

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 10:05:56 AM »

Mark Wilder

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 10:15:59 AM »

I must admit I don't have this in my collection, but the fans at stevehoffman.tv say it's only out in Mono, and sounds like it was mixed for radio (which makes sense).  They mention over compressed (in the mix)quite a few times.  If you're really curious, they say to check out the Sundazed issues of TSDG.  
Mark Wilder
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.