R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The difference between ASIO and MME-WDM  (Read 24579 times)

Ronny

Re: The difference between ASIO and MME-WDM
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 01:34:18 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 06:51

Ronny wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 20:36

Certainly MME is not plastic sounding compared to ASIO. What physical element could be causing that?

It's an interesting question. Maybe it's just W****** way of doing it and the larger buffer??

Somebody should really make a DAW that is no PC nor MAC but instead a dedicated computer running it's own software with it's own dedicated digital ins/out. It will newer be PCM1630 but it could be almost as good and still be able to do easy editing.

Regards
Henrik

What you are wanting has been around for a long time Henrik.  
FDMS3 audio format HD-R's. I have 4 of them and have been using them for 10 years. The latest one has 24 dedicated digi I/O's. Far superior to PC and Mac recording in stability and faster  editing on basic edits such as copy, move, transfer, paste, erase, delete. Besides the linear recording that requires no defragging, one of the best features is the jog/shuttle editor that allows you to rock the reel, like finding edit points on an annie tape, however the big difference between editing annie and j/s is that the pitch remains the same with j/s, no matter how fast or slow you rock the reel. I didn't get a PC until long after I'd been recording to HD-R's and I never had any problems until I started trying to incorporate PC's and Mac into my routine. There is a world of difference. I don't really see how a studio can depend solely on PC or Mac based recording and not encounter down time at unexpected moments.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

ammitsboel

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2005, 09:48:19 AM »

jlarcombe wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 17:19

What advantages do you feel a PCM1630 has over more modern equipment?

The biggest advantage lies in the way the glassmaster gets cut direct from the Umatic tape provided the plant supports it.
The system is also designed and build to do this kind of thing, a computer is not.

Ronny, how would you burn a PMCD or DDP tape from a Fostex HDR?
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

bobkatz

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2005, 09:59:23 AM »

ammitsboel wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 09:48

The biggest advantage lies in the way the glassmaster gets cut direct from the Umatic tape provided the plant supports it.
The system is also designed and build to do this kind of thing, a computer is not.

Back before advances in jitter-immunity in D/A converters and CD players Chesky Records (under my direction) performed a double blind experiment at Nimbus Records, their pressing plant at the time. All three masters were cut at 1X speed to glass. All three masters had identical data. The 1630 was picked as the best-sounding (most like the original that we remembered) by all 6 participants, operating blindly in their own homes or offices on their own playback systems. The second was the DDP tape (Exabyte) and the third was the CDR master. We did not perform this test "synchronously" but listening to each one. So, with 6 participants, all ranking the 3 the same, blindly, what are the statistical chances it's a "lucky penny"?

Technologies have changed considerably since that test was performed. Most plants are now cutting from a file on hard disc, and D/A converters have improved so that I honestly cannot (reliably) tell the difference between a good CD transport playing the same material as my DAW in a synchronized A/B comparison. I used to be bothered by OBVIOUS differences between the "sound" of my DAW and the "sound" of my CD transport into the identical D/A converter. This is no longer the case for me with the Avocet or Benchmark, or the TC DAC locked to internal sync.

A synchronized A/B test is much more reliable and leads to more consistent listening results. The human ear/brain is just not built to be able to do "start from the beginning again after a pause" tests very objectively at all. Using that sort of method I've been able to "prove" that monster cable sounds better than Radio Shack on one go round and the opposite on another. Even if the music is Philip Glass or Trance, if you play the end of it, pause for silence and then play the beginning of it, it will sound different even if it's identical!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bblackwood

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2005, 10:50:03 AM »

ammitsboel wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 08:48

I am unaware of any plant that does not load all masters into the network before the LBR, including 1630s.

FWIW, many (most) plants will cut glass at 1X if you request, if you still believe it makes a difference. The question is - have you actually had a plant cut glass at different speeds and checked it or is this simply something you heard someone else say?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bobkatz

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2005, 11:01:21 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 10:50

FWIW, many (most) plants will cut glass at 1X if you request, if you still believe it makes a difference. The question is - have you actually had a plant cut glass at different speeds and checked it or is this simply something you heard someone else say?

Years ago I did a series of blind tests and heard a difference. Others have done the same. But it is extremely controversial. Let's just say that with the right D/A converter and CD player I don't hear a difference; that's good enough for me that theory and practice coincide. I still request 1X glass mastering as an insurance policy and for those clients who claim to hear a difference. It's even possible that a 10 cent capacitor in the user's CD player in the right place could reduce these claims by 98%...

BK

Ronny

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2005, 06:33:03 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 09:48

In digi mastering I mainly use the HD-R's for editing and archiving, I transfer real time to a DAW and burn PMCDs from there. I've never had any requests for DDP.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

j2

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2005, 03:37:41 PM »

BK wrote:

"Using that sort of method I've been able to "prove" that monster cable sounds better than Radio Shack on one go round and the opposite on another. Even if the music is Philip Glass or Trance, if you play the end of it, pause for silence and then play the beginning of it, it will sound different even if it's identical!"

I can assure you that Monster lightpipe > Apogee's newest lightpipe.  I could care less how jitter-immune they "claim" their cables to be, for me, Apogee is definitely proving how full of shit they are.  I already posted about the Big Ben and Antelope.

On the topic of ASIO and MME, here's what I think:

1)  Henrik is not smoking his lunch when he says MME sounds more plastic-y than ASIO.  Furthermore, no one should assume anything in the digital world just because it's digital and the "program" tells us it's the same.  I did a test with Nuendo's file types back on their forum last year and got tons of people (including Fredo and another moderator) claiming I was smoking something and imagining differences in the sound quality.  Nuendo ironically, at the time (first v3), was playing back Wave64 in a superior fashion to the other formats (.bwav, .wav, .aiff)....and I had done the phase test, which of course churned out negative infinity results.  I recorded using all the formats and played back all the formats, they all sounded very close but W64 was clearer.  I finished that post with a statement revolvoing around the fact that Nuendo's code must treat the file types slightly differently, but still that W64 was/is superior (in Nuendo).  Since then, Samplitude/Sequoia has won me over for the utmost critical applications.

2)  I just had to assess this WDM, MME and ASIO situation for myself once more.  Bob Olhsson:  There is totally a difference between MME and ASIO simply from the fact that the MME driver uses a completely different buffer - fixed to my knowledge - and I am in the group that likes ASIO more.  On the topic of Lynx sound cards (I have an AES16), I called and spoke with Paul (lead tech) and spent 20 minutes explaining how the sound card sounds less noticeably digital (which to me, is uh, better) with busmastering off -- more like the source.  However, at higher sample rates and an abundance of tracks, you'll need busmastering on unless you have a slammin' DAW.  Further into this discussion with Paul, I talked about how Lynx's Mixer software sounds different depending on which row you send the Digi left and right outputs.  You'd think (and assume) that there can't possibly be a difference, but there is.  It's definitely not the same type of difference as with RME's Totalmix when you 48-bit bus identical signals through their software, which was noticeably more digital to me...but it's more of a location-in-the-sound-field type of thing with Lynx's software.  Also change from 70db to 96db to 114db in the level meter range -- there's totally a difference.

Problem with analog is noise.  Problem with digital is phase.  I try to get the best of both worlds and move on but these manufacturer's of our sound cards aren't doing enough testing.  And the general consensus is taking it for granted that they have.  Then we make faces like  Shocked when we find all this out.

For the record my chain is:

Furman IT-Ref 20
Lynx AES16  ->  AES  ->  Benchmark DAC-1  ->  3ft. Mogami Switchcraft (black) XLR's  ->  DACT CT-1 attenuator  ->  MLC Tannoy's

Something for Samp/Seq users:  listen to something you like in the program with Loop off (and get rid of the transport).  Wait 10 seconds, listen to the same passage with Loop ON (hide the transport) and hit play.  Then tell me I'm full of shit  Rolling Eyes

Something for DAC-1 people:  if you're using AES as a feed, listen to a passage after moving the DAC-1 switch down to AES.  Probably more focused.  Now stop playback, move the switch down from Toslink back up to AES, listen again.  Benchmark wrote me a silly email about the reaction time of their PLL.  Unfortunately, they have a flaw in their design.

Nothing is perfect.
Jordan Harrison
Producer/Engineer
Los Angeles, CA

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2005, 04:47:47 PM »

j2 wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 14:37

...1)  Henrik is not smoking his lunch when he says MME sounds more plastic-y than ASIO.  ... I just had to assess this WDM, MME and ASIO situation for myself once more.  Bob Olhsson:  There is totally a difference between MME and ASIO simply from the fact that the MME driver uses a completely different buffer - fixed to my knowledge - and I am in the group that likes ASIO more. ...
...Something for Samp/Seq users:  listen to something you like in the program with Loop off (and get rid of the transport).  Wait 10 seconds, listen to the same passage with Loop ON (hide the transport) and hit play. ...Nothing is perfect.
I just rechecked and you are absolutely right, subtly more ambiance in ASIO at least on headphones with today's 48k project. Bits aren't modified but something is indeed different. Same for the loop issue, just a bit flatter.

FWIW I'm using an "old dumb" RME Hammerfall interface. The more I hear about these new "on card mixers" the more I worry.

ammitsboel

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2005, 12:22:41 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 21:47

j2 wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 14:37

...1)  Henrik is not smoking his lunch when he says MME sounds more plastic-y than ASIO.  ... I just had to assess this WDM, MME and ASIO situation for myself once more.  Bob Olhsson:  There is totally a difference between MME and ASIO simply from the fact that the MME driver uses a completely different buffer - fixed to my knowledge - and I am in the group that likes ASIO more. ...
...Something for Samp/Seq users:  listen to something you like in the program with Loop off (and get rid of the transport).  Wait 10 seconds, listen to the same passage with Loop ON (hide the transport) and hit play. ...Nothing is perfect.
I just rechecked and you are absolutely right, subtly more ambiance in ASIO at least on headphones with today's 48k project. Bits aren't modified but something is indeed different. Same for the loop issue, just a bit flatter.

FWIW I'm using an "old dumb" RME Hammerfall interface. The more I hear about these new "on card mixers" the more I worry.

I'm speechless!!
It makes me more than happy to see that there are people posting on this forum who uses their ears to determine these things and not their mind.

...does this mean that we can move on to the next level?

Best regards
Henrik
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

bobkatz

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2005, 02:18:14 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 12:22

It makes me more than happy to see that there are people posting on this forum who uses their ears to determine these things and not their mind.

Best regards
Henrik

It helps to have a bit of both  Smile

BK

j2

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2005, 04:23:37 PM »

speechless is a good thing.

The next level for me is making music and what I have.. sound the best that it can be.  This means removing anything in my way that smears, phase-tricks, or otherwise alters my audio at any stage of the monitoring process.

Since we're going in the direction of DAW's, I have to say that I'm on a DualCore Opteron machine and I hear differences when I use one CPU (WinXP Task Manager - set Affinity) instead of 2 or 3 or all 4, in any combination.  I also have everything in my BIOS that I don't need disabled, notably two 64-bit PCI slots.  This makes a noticeable difference, drawing less power.

And people continue to work and assume this type of stuff can't possibly matter.

I have advice for all the people that share their knowledge on this topic, this definitely isn't a pissing contest.  So knowing that, do your research and listen, don't assume and assume...and assume.  We're all here to seek the truth.  Don't let the fact that what you've learned up until now might not be everything thing there is to know.. change the way you work.
Jordan Harrison
Producer/Engineer
Los Angeles, CA

zetterstroem

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2005, 07:41:07 AM »

true....
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Bill B

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2005, 08:03:38 AM »

j2 wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 15:37

Something for Samp/Seq users:  listen to something you like in the program with Loop off (and get rid of the transport).  Wait 10 seconds, listen to the same passage with Loop ON (hide the transport) and hit play.  Then tell me I'm full of shit

I'll try this in Sequoia later today, but what does the visibility of the transport have to do with it?

And I'm not assuming "anything in the digital world just because it's digital and the "program" tells us it's the same." I try to keep an open mind, and I trust my ears over my eyes, always. In Sequoia the differences in sound quality from one audio driver to another are not consistently apparent to me, there are many other little things that happen on a day to day basis that grab my ears first. More people in the room, a door open, etc.
(Or yesterday when one of the cats snuck into the studio and curled up on a monitor with the tail hanging down over the tweeter!!!! One of the few cases where I trusted the eyes)
BB

Ed Littman

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2005, 08:55:56 AM »

badbear wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 08:03

(Or yesterday when one of the cats snuck into the studio and curled up on a monitor with the tail hanging down over the tweeter!!!! One of the few cases where I trusted the eyes)

If they're NS10m's yer all set Shocked
Ed

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2005, 12:52:16 PM »

Ed Littman wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 07:55

badbear wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 08:03

If they're NS10m's yer all set Shocked

Funny how cats can pick the oddest places to perch.

Ed... see your new website is up & running, looks gooood!
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.