R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm here guys, let's start the fun!!??? www.loudcds.com , yep  (Read 20771 times)

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: I'm here guys, let's start the fun!!??? www.loudcds.com , yep
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2005, 02:37:26 PM »

Well, yeah.  I see your point.   Very Happy
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

zakco

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2005, 02:39:39 PM »

Ronny wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 10:02

Well, Zak, we all had to start somewhere.

from richards site"
Quote:

Please don't worry about how I work, I use my ears and brain and that's all I'm gonna say. Don't email me saying "you blah blah, you must be a kid with some plugins or something blah blah,...I know what I'm doing and you're just gonna have to trust me.

I don't think this is about "starting out". It's about arrogance and a lack of respect for your colleagues. I know several other "mastering engineers" with the same technical approach (cheap and loud) and while I don't agree with their approach to the craft, they are not going out of their way to insult their peers and in the end, their product speaks for itself anyways.

My problem is not with his business model, but rather with his attitude. I get the feeling that if we were discussing this in person with all parties present, his attitude would change considerably. I think the safety of the internot plays a big part in his lack of respect for others.

Just my opinion,

-Z-

LoudCds

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2005, 02:59:41 PM »

I just put that on the website for you yesterday because of all these attacks.
I'm not hiding behind the internet.  Geeze, what do you guys want to do, have a rumble in the street.  We are all just having a battle of words here.  In person or on the net as long as you keep the phisical contact out of things i don't see a problem.  

I am gonna chage the website.  I just wanted people like you to see that cause if your buttons are pushed that easily i don't see why you'd want to be in a competive business like mastering.  

I'm really just a humble guy who like to give people an unbelievable deal.  I don't want to start trouble, and remember i didn't start it.  But if it gets started, im in it tooth and nail till the end.  
Let's just be friend, damn.

-rich

Richard C.
owner&engineer- www.loudcds.com

zakco

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2005, 03:03:59 PM »

By the way, I didn't realize that there had been a prior discussion of this subject and that Richard had come to "defend himself". If someone had antagonized you then I can understand why you might feel the need to come back swinging. I just don't dig the suggestion that professionals with large capital investments and years of experience are "ripping people off" as Richard so plainly suggests:
Quote:

You see, people don't believe in something this cheap, they want to pay more, and they want to be ripped off.

It was that phrase in particular that set me off. Other than that I have no quarrel with richard or his business model. To each their own.

-Z-

zakco

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2005, 03:11:01 PM »

LoudCds wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 11:59

I'm really just a humble guy who like to give people an unbelievable deal.  

Fair enough, I just have one comment and that is if you are good at your craft (and I'm not suggesting you aren't) you should consider charging a rate that is "fair" rather than "unbelievable". The extra income will allow you to improve your toolset and with that hopefully your quality of work will improve along with it. I realize that the ears are by far the most important tools of all, but a good room and great gear never hurt anyone's end product...   Smile Who know's maybe this mastering "hobby" will turn into a career for you. Don't rule out the possibility....

Regards,

-Z-

jfrigo

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2005, 03:12:12 PM »

zakco wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 09:28

I'm not suggesting that everyone should jump dowh his throat, but wow. Hats off to everyone for showing the class and restraint that they have....just imagine if he had decided to post in mixerman's forum instead.... Shocked

If he's crazy, he'll prove that on his own. He won't need any of us to put it in stark relief. If not, we've given him an invitation to participate reasonably before we start beating him up. It's nice that we don't have a hair trigger around here.

zakco

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2005, 03:17:39 PM »

jfrigo wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 12:12

If he's crazy, he'll prove that on his own. He won't need any of us to put it in stark relief. If not, we've given him an invitation to participate reasonably before we start beating him up. It's nice that we don't have a hair trigger around here.

Agreed.

-Z-

mcsnare

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2005, 03:31:53 PM »

I welcome a little craziness around here. Plus maybe I can finally find out, from Richard, how to cut really loud CD's.
Rock On, Rich
Dave McNair

LoudCds

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2005, 03:41:31 PM »

Cool then.

Yeah, i do get carried away sometimes.  But yeah, i guess you should go back and read wherever that was that the battle began.

I'm just bitter because i can't and won't ever be able to afford all the pro stuff.  Still it just seems unreal to make so much an hour for anything.  I'm just too used to living in the poorest town in the US i guess.  

Anyway, i still do damn good with what i have.  You should check out my site once more please.  I just made it better www.loudcds.com

Noone's ripping people off.  Maybe one day i will become a pro ME.  But i'm trying to keep my head on the other side of the mixing boards right now.  You guys should check out some of my music.  Maybe i'll hire yall to master my next cd.  check
www.daddyrich.net

See yall around

-Rich
Richard C.

LoudCds

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2005, 03:45:48 PM »

Well, it's hard sometimes to cut loud Cd's.  You must find the sharpest knife they have at wal-mart...
nope sorry.

Seroiusly,
The biggest secret lies in the mix.  Some mixes have the potential to only be so loud no matter what you do.  So spend more time worrying about the mix instead of trying to fix mistakes durring the mastering process.
I learned that the very hard way.
I know i said i've only be mastering for a few years, but i've been recording ever since i was like 9 or 10.

-rich

good luck, just don't catch the "loudness disease"
Dynamics are ummm.......good...yea
Richard C.

masterhse

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2005, 03:50:52 PM »

So far I get the impression from this thread that Richard is being pretty honest about his capabilities, gear, and charges what he feel he is worth. Also, this thread is probably some of the best advertising his site has had in a while, also for free.

Thanks Richard, I've already learned a lot from you. I'm going to be mastering for $1 per song!  Smile
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

chrisj

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2005, 04:03:43 PM »

zakco wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 15:11

Fair enough, I just have one comment and that is if you are good at your craft (and I'm not suggesting you aren't) you should consider charging a rate that is "fair" rather than "unbelievable".

There's all sorts of things to charge for. Right now I (humbly) feel that my own work is by far the most bang for the buck around, but there's a reason: for at least a year I've been all research, all 'improving the sound and the tools', and no SALES OR MARKETING. I am here to tell you that's deadly. As a result, I'm real confident in my 'bang' (both in sonic richness AND in competitive loudness, thanks to some very new limiter code) but I have absolutely squat for credits- and without credits, you're fooling yourself if you think you can charge out the wazoo. Not unless someone comes along with special needs- I could do high end audiophile classical mastering on par with anybody at this point, but the number of clients who fit that description is scarce, and even then they do have to hear about you from somewhere.

Market. You can't just hone your craft, that doesn't get you new clients, because nobody will know what you're doing.

So people hiring me (please? Wink ) are taking a risk because they haven't heard my work (especially this year's) and can't look up credits to get an idea. They don't pay for that risk, I do.

Our new friend might actually be the greatest thing since Bob Ludwig but without a reputation and credits he STILL won't be worth that kind of money, because you're gambling that he'll deliver consistently.

dcollins

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2005, 04:16:25 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 05:09

Hi Do you like the ISRC method, or do you prefer EAN?

Incredible Sound Recording Chain
Entering Audio Nirvana

I've heard the ISRC has a little wider stereo image, however.
Old school guys wil probably go with EAN.

DC

LoudCds

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2005, 04:40:25 PM »

That's how life is.  Even as a musician.  It doens't even matter if you're the most talented at what you do in life.  It's who you know, who knows you, good timing, and a whole lot of luck.

Richard C.

compasspnt

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2005, 05:09:03 PM »

dcollins wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 16:16

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 05:09

Hi Do you like the ISRC method, or do you prefer EAN?

Incredible Sound Recording Chain
Entering Audio Nirvana

I've heard the ISRC has a little wider stereo image, however.
Old school guys wil probably go with EAN.

DC

I knew that if anybody would pick up on that, it would be DC (or perhaps Poyser).

Richard just seemed to ignore that question.

Any preference, daddyrich?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 19 queries.