R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More Me Headphones Better than Sony's for Tracking?  (Read 6400 times)

andyg

More Me Headphones Better than Sony's for Tracking?
« on: October 28, 2005, 01:33:01 PM »

Harvey,

I came across the site selling the More Me headphones. The site clearly states that Sony cans sound better, but my question is whether the "More Me" units (Studio/Deluxe version)are better for TRACKING by virtue of emphasizing different frequencies than the Sony 7506's??? I own a pair of Sony's that work fine but I'm intrigued by the low price of the More Me as well as the possibility that they may make the tracking process easier....(To put things in context, I'm a home studio guy doing rock stuff. My tracking concerns are vocals, acoustic & electric guitars...Thanks

hargerst

Re: More Me Headphones Better than Sony's for Tracking?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 03:15:03 PM »

Whew, tough question for me to answer.

As I said on my website (http://moreme.info), I've got a bunch of dead 7506's, and that was one of my main problems with them.  

The MoreMe's don't have the real bottom or the sizzling top end of the Sony's, but I found that most musicians didn't really care about that; they wanted LOUD - and more detail in the upper mids.  The MoreMe's do that.  They can get pretty damn loud.

I treat headphones as "disposable items" in our studio, but at a hundred dollars a pop, I was going thru Sony's way too fast.  I found the Radio Shack "Hall Of Fame" (made by Koss) headphones at $40 each, but they sounded terrible and broke even faster. (For 3 years, I didn't care if they broke because I had the extended warranty, but they stopped offering the extended warranty.)  But, after the extended warranty deal ended, I was back to square one; find some phones that were cheap, loud, tough, and with decent isolation.  

After buying a ton of different headphones, I found these.  They were made for institutional commercial use, like listening to cassette decks in classrooms. They met most of the criteria; they were cheap, loud, tough, and with almost decent isolation.  I added some padding in the earphone cups and they sounded pretty damn good.  The short 2 foot cord turned out to be a blessing; you can't step on it.  Snag it, and the end simply disconnects.

I tried to talk Guitar Center and Sam Ash into carrying them, but no music stores were interested in them.  In order to get a decent price, I had to buy a large quantity of them - and that's how MoreMe's headphones came into being.  Since nobody was interested in selling them (including the distributor) I put my name on them and decided I'd sell them the way I thought they should be sold.  That's where the" try them for a month or so", 2 day shipping, and the weird warranty came from.  It's the way I think a company should do business.  No gouging people on shipping and "handling" charges, a no bullshit warranty, and superfast service (without all the BS paperwork, or waiting till we receive them and test them).

Do they sound great?  Hell, no, but they're good enough to work fine for tracking, even for drummers.  Southern Tracks in Memphis ordered 5 pair and love them.  There are some other big studios and people who love them (Bob Olhsson, etc.), but I'm not gonna mention names till I get their ok to do so.  Fletcher has even recommended them if you want cheaps.  I consider them to be like the cockroaches of the recording industry.

That's about as honest as I can be.  Buy them, try 'em for a month or so, and if you don't like 'em, I'll give you your money back.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Vertigo

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 03:39:24 PM »

Southern Tracks in Memphis???

Shocked

-Lance

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 03:53:31 PM »

Yup, Mike Clark ordered them.  Had them for a few months now.

Vertigo

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 07:25:15 PM »

Actually I think Southern Tracks is a little further south Wink

-Lance

andyg

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 08:47:18 PM »

Thanks Harvey...I'm sold

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 09:07:22 PM »

I'll report in a week or two...just ordered 10 pair.

hargerst

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 12:34:45 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 20:07

I'll report in a week or two...just ordered 10 pair.

I wasn't gonna mention here that Terry bought some, until after I heard whether he actually liked them or not.

Beezoboy

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 10:26:59 AM »

Yeah I beleieve Southern Tracks is in ATL. Some of my favorite albums have been cut there.

Thanks for the info on the MoreMe's!!! I know E-Cue on Gearslutz was raving on about them and he has a big time credit list too.

So uh, do you think these things would work on an airplane with my laptop?

Beez

hargerst

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 10:49:49 AM »

The standard MoreMe's have a 1/8" jack and will work fine with a laptop.  Dave Martin has some MoreMe's and says it's the headphones of choice for several of his clients.

Vertigo

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 04:38:31 PM »

Quote:

Yeah I beleieve Southern Tracks is in ATL. Some of my favorite albums have been cut there.

Yeah, I was just ribbing Harv a little since that's a facility I'm pretty familiar with Wink

-Lance

hargerst

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 05:37:39 PM »

I get confused easily these days.

Vertigo

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 05:52:44 PM »

No worries Harvey - you got it right in the Langer interview Smile

Speaking of which, would it be bad to post a link to those interviews here? I know Steve was concerned about bandwidth limitations on their server... I just know that all of the Harvey fans on here would be thrilled to see them.

-Lance

hargerst

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 05:57:43 PM »

What interviews?  

(I told you I get confused easily these days.)

Nod, nod, wink, wink.

Vertigo

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 09:25:54 AM »

I was referring to the Steven Langer video interviews posted on Mojo Pie:

http://www.mojopie.com

Great stuff, most of which frequenters of this forum already know, but some new tips too. And it's just fun to hear Harvey talk.

Very Happy

-Lance
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 16 queries.