R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum overhead mic choice  (Read 15431 times)

John Ivan

Re: Drum overhead mic choice
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2005, 03:32:24 PM »

DivideByZero wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 01:35

In a jazz rig, I like to use a pair of 451's, and individually mic the cymbals, with dynamics mics, say.. 57s, anywhere between 4-10" out, and aimed at the note I want.

I love early 451s... I haven't heard any of the new ones, and never cared for the EB... anyhow.

M

This is interesting. I sometimes mic the ride in rockish/funkish stuff. Do you do every cymbal, with it's own mic?

I would give anything to be able to record jazz every day. That would be really great.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Tidewater

Re: Drum overhead mic choice
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2005, 03:44:52 PM »

All cymbals, yes. I like being able to pick a tone (note), per piece, and add it to the overhead sound.

In jazz stuff, I am more likely to use over-the-shoulder overhead setups, than high o/h.

Also a good time to try dragging the o/h tracks into alignment with the kit, just to see if it's nicer that way. Depends on the space, and the music.

Yeah, all day, jazz.. and any small acoustic ensembles.. challenging, but it's all about translating the 'real' sounds, instead of *radio edit*.

Wink

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.