R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey... the MXL 604...  (Read 10938 times)

Tim Perry

Re: Harvey... the MXL 604...
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 02:23:39 AM »

I just got a 604 today. Haven't used it yet, but would love to hear what the rest of you, that have one, think of it. I won't get a real chance to use it for a month or two, so I will be watching this thread to wet my appetite.

HockeyMike

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 06:43:06 PM »

Harvey,

Any further comments on the MXL 604's as overheads? I'm looking for a pair of inexpensive SDC mics, and am comparing between the 604, C4, and Rode NT5 (I'm gunshy about buying the Oktava 012 since they seem a bit inconsistent). The Rodes that I tried are nice but seem kind of hard in the upper mids. Some of the Chinese mics seem to have that hyped high end that can be abrasive, which is the main thing I'm concerned about with the MXL mics.

Anyway, thanks for any input you can give on them.

Michael
Michael Nowak  |  Saga Recording

hargerst

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 07:18:45 PM »

The Studio Projects C4 is smoother and slightly darker than the others - almost KM84 sounding, while the MXL 604's with the cardioid cap is brighter, but not as bright as the KM184.  The omni cap is very neutral sounding.  I haven't heard the Rodes.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

HockeyMike

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 04:04:21 PM »

Thanks, Harvey. That probably leans me in the C4 direction, since I tend to go for smoother in that application, plus it has an omni cap as well. I did find a great deal on a pair of AT4041's (about $100 over the C4s), so now it's between those two. I saw you mentioned the AT's in your Mic Primer...any opinions between them and the C4s?

Thanks again.

Michael Nowak  |  Saga Recording

trebor_zaid

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 04:38:53 PM »

I guess I will be the voice of destruction. I got a pair of 604's about 3months ago. I was so excited. Got them to my studio. I record in a 25'x40'x15' room made of solid concrete from the 1940's and wood ceiling.

The board, a PM1000, the tape machine, a Roland VM3100 and Nuendo as the tracker.

I placed the microphones XY and parallel to eachother (1 over the hat and the other over the floor toms) at various heights and sitances. After tracking, using the mics open and with the -10pad, I quickly removed them and hid them.

No eardrum, should have to go through hi's like that. It sounded like glass breaking. My cymbals sounded so sharp in the hi end spectrum that it sizzled.

These mics, for me, that's important here, for ME, did not work at all as overheads. I ended up getting a pair of AKG C300SE w/ CK91 capsules (AKG C391's) and I am much happier. Now, this is not to say I won't find something to use the 604's on. Maybe piano, or acoustic guitar? Maybe toms? I dunno. But for overhead cymbal mic'ing, on my rig...AAGGHH!!!
r

compasspnt

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 05:27:30 PM »

trebor_zaid wrote on Thu, 04 May 2006 16:38

I placed the microphones XY and parallel to eachother (1 over the hat and the other over the floor toms) at various heights...

What kind of X/Y lets you place one mic over the hat and one over the floor tom?

However, good real life experiences shared concerning the sound qualities (or lack thereof).

trebor_zaid

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 05:34:20 PM »

Actually that's using the XY technique with 4ft SDC's!!! Smile

No I used 2 placement techniques. 1 was XY and the other was just placing the mics parallel to eacother. 1 over the hat, 1 over the floor. Sorry about that Wink
r

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 07:00:32 PM »

Sorry.  I just misunderstood.  I see now that you mean BOTH X/Y and wide parallel.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.