R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG D12 Curiously broken  (Read 2419 times)

Aidan Mark

AKG D12 Curiously broken
« on: October 22, 2005, 02:38:15 AM »

Hi! I recently bought an AKG D12 kick mic, unheard. I guess its around 40 years old. It looks in great condition but the sound is rather curious.

It's like it's been fed through a resonant parametric set around 1KHz. There is next to no bass response and reduced highs. The output is low, its need about 70dB gain to record a guitar.

I actually wanted to try it out on string bass rather than a kick drum. Here it picks up click, finger noise and string slap like nothing else. This is quite useful combined with a 2nd mic to capture the lows, but it doesn't sound like a bass mic used alone.

Has anyone had a D12 go off like this? Any idea what is up with it? Is repair an option (considering it only cost E200)?

Aidan

Han S.

Re: AKG D12 Curiously broken
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 06:26:00 AM »

Many moons ago I've bought two D12's and when I used them both on two kick's (metal drummer) I found out that one of them had significant more lows than the other.

So I went to the AKG repair service where they opened it and found out there was a dent in the membrane which wasnt repairable and they put in a new capsule, this happened 10 > 12 years ago.

Maybe you can open the mic and examine the membrane, there are two tiny screws in the bottom of the brace that holds the two parts of the grill together.

Hope this helps.

Aidan Mark

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:56:40 AM »

Thanks for the reply!

Encouraged, I opened the mic up and saw the problem. The capsule is covered by a blast protecting circle of wire gauze. This has been damaged by some previous clumsy opening of the mic so that the gauze ends are pulled upward and are catching against the internal cloth covering of the basket. This is stopping stopping diaphragm moving properly. Hence the low volume and no bass response.

Its not very easy to get the gauze back to how it was. I guess it will need to be replaced. As far as I can see the diaphragm is otherwise in good shape.

Oh well, the heart says send the mic on a trip to Austria, the wallet says a trip to the trash can would be the better bet. Lets see who wins.

A.

Han S.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 10:03:34 AM »

Aahh, great! It must not be too hard to fix that yourself I guess.

Coco

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 06:02:22 PM »

Try www.p.drefahl@freenet.de he runs Drefahl Audio out of Konstanz. I have bought many mics from him and he does fantastic repairs. Check him out.
Colin G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.