R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best fx plugins....  (Read 6308 times)

Augustine Leudar

Best fx plugins....
« on: October 21, 2005, 11:32:25 PM »

So here we go again....
Who do you think makes the most proffesional quality effects plugins, especially reverbs.
My favourites are waves plugins though im told Lexicon make good plugins too.

compasspnt

Re: Best fx plugins....
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 11:51:33 PM »

Waves make a good, comprehensive suite of plug-ins, although somewhat expensive.  Their reverb is pretty good.

But there are a LOT of others out there now, some of which are getting very good.  Try Sony Oxford, United Audio, TLL...and a couple of others that following posts will name, but which I haven't tried yet, so can't comment about.

Ashermusic

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 12:50:06 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 22 October 2005 04:51

Waves make a good, comprehensive suite of plug-ins, although somewhat expensive.  Their reverb is pretty good.

But there are a LOT of others out there now, some of which are getting very good.  Try Sony Oxford, United Audio, TLL...and a couple of others that following posts will name, but which I haven't tried yet, so can't comment about.

The plug-ins on the UAD-1 card are excellent. I would also recommend plug-ins from Sonalksis, URS, and PSP. And Altiverb is the best software reverb on the planet.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

Bill B

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 03:57:58 PM »

Ashermusic wrote on Sat, 22 October 2005 00:50

And Altiverb is the best software reverb on the planet.

Well, there's some flame bait if I ever saw any....
BB

Vertigo

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 05:02:16 PM »

UAD are the best software comps on the planet. So there!

Razz

Seriously - if there any better plug-in comps out there then I REALLY want to know about them...

Of the Waves stuff, I think the Ren plugs are their best offerings. The RComp was the first plug-in I ever heard that sounded "warm". The RVerbs sound a little tacky at mixtime, but for some reason they sound fairly realistic once the track is bounced down to 44.1. The REQ is a little phasey but pleasant and very useful, although I have to admit I don't really use them much since getting the URS N eq's.

-Lance

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 07:08:17 PM »

Yes, if people are using Waves or older plug-ins, and have never tried the UAD ones, or the Sony Oxford, or indeed the URS, then they are in for a surprise.

Ashermusic

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 07:55:10 PM »

badbear wrote on Sat, 22 October 2005 20:57

Ashermusic wrote on Sat, 22 October 2005 00:50

And Altiverb is the best software reverb on the planet.

Well, there's some flame bait if I ever saw any....

Well, let me possibly amend that slightly : Altiverb is the best sounding native (non-TDM)  software reverb on the planet.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

djui5

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 11:21:58 PM »

Waves ren plugs are awesome!

I like renverb, altiverb, and that emt140 plug. Reverb1 has worked for me occasionally, but not very often. The tails on verb1 are shitty most of the time.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

Revolution

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 06:21:55 AM »

Hey has anyone heard the powercore reverb pluggs expecialy from the system 6000.

Would they be worth giving up a Lexicon PCM91 for.

bobkatz

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 10:22:51 AM »

Revolution wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 06:21

Hey has anyone heard the powercore reverb pluggs expecialy from the system 6000.

Would they be worth giving up a Lexicon PCM91 for.

Are you mixing or mastering/

They're entirely different animals. I would keep your PCM91 for some types of effects which the TC does not do, and use the TC for your prime reverbs when you want the most dimension and depth.

I need to point out that though the VSS3 reverb from the System 6000 is quite an advanced reverb, it is not the most dimensional reverb from the System 6000, the VSS4. You would have to wait for a Powercore with more DSP bandwidth to run the VSS4.

If the VSS3 is an A, the VSS4 is an A+. But absolutely, it's worth it to get the VSS3 in the Powercore, and learn how to manipulate all the parameters, too.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Revolution

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 06:05:14 PM »

Thanks Bob.
This is for mixing only.

Since buying a UAD-1 card for my compression duties ive re-considdered my opinions on ITB plugs.

Have compared also to my TDM versions on my HD system. There seems to me to be an improvement in quality on the UAD-1 card.

eightyeightkeys

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 07:14:51 PM »

The VSS3 is a beauty. To each, his (or her) own, but IMHO it's the first plug-in reverb that doesn't go away in a dense mix.

The VSS3 together with a new reverb plug-in, the R66, and I'm pretty much covered for reverbs.

If the VSS4 is an A+, I'd sure love to hear it ported over to the PoCo at some point.

The only plug-in EQ's that I've tried lately that made my ears perk up is the Precision EQ from UAD and the Sonalksis but I've pretty much decided not to spend any more dough on plug-in EQ's for now.
Dave T.
D&D Music

wavdoctor

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 02:15:27 PM »

And Altiverb is the best software reverb on the planet.[/quote]

which planet?
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

maxim

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 10:19:33 PM »

i don't have any of the plugz terry mentioned, so i'm still working with waves for compression, delay and eq

i'm a big fan of the grm line, especially, the doppler for extra modulation

altiverb kicks ass

i like amplitube in the right place

pluggo is a fascinating universe i'm yet to jump into fully

i also like the sound of dp's own plate and modulation fx

mic modeler has an interesting gentle compression sound

the other two i find indispensable in the right spot, are arboretum's ioniser and dominion, a freebie transient designer

compasspnt

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 11:52:25 PM »

maxim wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 22:19

...pluggo is a fascinating universe i'm yet to jump into fully...

Well put.  The Pluggo "world" is indeed a strange, but interesting one.  So many plug-ins.  Many odd, some exquisite.

Or you can make your own...

PookyNMR

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 12:30:03 AM »

Some that have not yet been mentioned...  I think that the plugs from Elemental Audio are qtuie good.  I like their EQs quite a bit.  Their compressor is quite useful too.  They also have a metering plug called InspectorXL that is very, very handy.

Nathan Rousu

mattrussell

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 11:40:09 AM »

The Waves Ren Reverb is very good and pretty much all I use for reverb inside Pro Tools.  Really like the plate in that one.  Still can't believe that it worked, but I mixed something last week where I was at the end of my rig's ability to handle more FX and needed a very light amount of plate verb on something. The Ren Verb was too much of a hog so, I reached for the Digiverb that ships with PT, chose the plate and with a few tweaks of the plug, it did the job very well.  Not sure I'll be using that one too often, but it worked great and didn't strain my Mac any harder where the Rverb did big time.

The effects that jump into my mind as the coolest I've seen in a while come from Ohm Force.  All of those plugs are really cool and have great presets right out of the box.

http://www.ohmforce.com/ViewCategory.do?category=Effects

I also really dig the Waves SuperTap Delay, Morphoder and TransX plugs.  The Tel-Ray delay is also a favorite of mine.
matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

Vertigo

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 11:51:23 AM »

Yeah, the Ren verbs can be nasty little buggers... Although I have enough CPU resources to run several of them, running any more than one at a time causes serious stability issues. And you've got to love that 100db *SNAP* that happens when an RVerb blows up... Especially at 3am  Rolling Eyes

UAD's RealVerb Pro doesn't seem to have many fans, but it's a favorite of mine. I think the reflections sound VERY realistic, and a little goes a long way.

-Lance

Bill B

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 12:04:04 PM »

Dave @ D&D wrote on Sun, 23 October 2005 19:14

The VSS3 together with a new reverb plug-in, the R66, and I'm pretty much covered for reverbs.

I have to agree that the R66 was suprisingly useful.
BB

mattrussell

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 12:14:35 PM »

Vertigo wrote on Thu, 27 October 2005 11:51

And you've got to love that 100db *SNAP* that happens when an RVerb blows up... Especially at 3am  Rolling Eyes

i found that snap goes away with the newer waves shells.  once i went to 4.x it seemed to go away.  if you can, update your shell.  don't do this without checking first as you can blow up all of your waves plugs--they won't work without reinstalling your host app or worse, formatting your drive and starting from scratch.

fear is a word i would use to describe my feeling while mixing--fear of that sound when i'd hit stop.  when i was in PT 5.x in Mac OS 9.2, i also used to hear a blast of white noise, equally loud with one big difference, i had a hard time making it stop.  can't remember what it took to stop it, but a fast grab of the control room volume pot was in order.  also had a problem with it printing the same white noise on my tracks at the end of a 'bounce to disk'.  that one knocked me out of the chair more than once...glad it's all over now.
matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.