R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer MS16 s ?  (Read 4478 times)

Augustine Leudar

Behringer MS16 s ?
« on: October 21, 2005, 05:20:47 PM »

Does any one have any experience using these really cheap active monitors (only 37 quid a pair)
I need to buy 8 speakers to prepare for a diffusion project. I alrady have good monitors so I dont need 8 pro quality speakers. However cant find a review of them anywhere so has anyone used them ? Are they passable even as high fi ?

George_

Re: Behringer MS16 s ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 03:52:37 AM »

I've heard em.. I mean there is some sound coming out of these boxes.. what do you expect from 37$ speaker?Wink

"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Ronny

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:21:46 AM »

Never use a monitor that is cheaper than the cd that you are making sells for.  Laughing
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 07:57:47 AM »

To be a bit clearer.

I have to do a ten speaker diffusion project at college (10 speaker surround). At college they use ten Mackies. I cant afford ten mackies.
I have one pair of good quality monitors. I make all the sounds on them. However I need to do the sound design at home otherwise I have to do it on college equipment which means if im lucky ill get half an hour a week. I need to do it at home becaus I like to spend maybe 8 hours a day on it.
So all I want to know is if the Behringers are good enough to position the sound at home (using a 8 channel setup in protools / nuendo ) to later transfer them on to the Mackies at college or the performance space.
?????

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 09:08:13 AM »

Augustine Leudar wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 12:57

To be a bit clearer.

I have to do a ten speaker diffusion project at college (10 speaker surround). At college they use ten Mackies. I cant afford ten mackies.
I have one pair of good quality monitors. I make all the sounds on them. However I need to do the sound design at home otherwise I have to do it on college equipment which means if im lucky ill get half an hour a week. I need to do it at home becaus I like to spend maybe 8 hours a day on it.
So all I want to know is if the Behringers are good enough to position the sound at home (using a 8 channel setup in protools / nuendo ) to later transfer them on to the Mackies at college or the performance space.
?????

So basically it sounds like noise and even distortion aren't so crucial for this specific application, what you care about is...

1) Does it render the frequencies you need?
2) Does it keep phase in a reasonable state?

For evaluating surround positioning I would guess that phase is going to be more important than flat frequency response.

Perhaps you can get this information from Behringer?

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 09:38:18 AM »

Behringer give very little info on the subject on their site though I'll email them. I guess I might have to pay a trip to Turnkey and listen to them myself. Basically if they're the same or worse than the speakers you get with a computer then I cant use them.
Thats right, frequency response isnt really relevant in this case other than the fact that there might be frequency interference I dont notice on them , which will show up when I get on the Mackies.

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 10:09:15 AM »

Augustine Leudar wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 14:38

Behringer give very little info on the subject on their site though I'll email them. I guess I might have to pay a trip to Turnkey and listen to them myself. Basically if they're the same or worse than the speakers you get with a computer then I cant use them.
Thats right, frequency response isnt really relevant in this case other than the fact that there might be frequency interference I dont notice on them , which will show up when I get on the Mackies.

With 10 speakers and trying to get accurate(ish) positioning, phase is more likely to be a problem, and unfortunately a listening test of a stereo pair might not reveal this to you.

You could use an allpass FIR filter to reduce any phase differences between the Mackies and the Behringers (not perfect, but we're talking small budget here), but that's going to chew up quite a lot of processing.

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 06:21:20 PM »

Jon Hodgson wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 15:09

With 10 speakers and trying to get accurate(ish) positioning, phase is more likely to be a problem, and unfortunately a listening test of a stereo pair might not reveal this to you.

You could use an allpass FIR filter to reduce any phase differences between the Mackies and the Behringers (not perfect, but we're talking small budget here), but that's going to chew up quite a lot of processing.

This phase issue is something I dont quite understand.
It might help to explain that its not traditional music that im making rather soundscapes which may use real recorded sounds or not.
When we walk around obviously there are sounds bouncing off our ears from all directions yet there are no problems with phase so why is this different with 8/10 surrounding speakers ?

Thanks for the tip on the FIR filter ill look into that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.