R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 32/24/16 2 lots of dither  (Read 1243 times)

William Boyle AKA Elfy

32/24/16 2 lots of dither
« on: October 18, 2005, 10:04:50 AM »

High babes.
So i sent evaluation files to a guy at 24 bit which i dithered to,
from 32 float.
I didn't hear from him for a day or 2 until he replied back happy as larry and had dithered down to 16 and sent off for duplication.
Since the audio was dithered twice in this manner is it cumulative,
or does the first lot of dither get thrown away in the next truncation.
Can someone clear this up please.
Thanks

bblackwood

Re: 32/24/16 2 lots of dither
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 10:44:12 AM »

Elfy, seriously, we're happy to answer your questions, but you really need to read this - once you have a firm understanding of the basics of digital audio, this stuff will make sense.

That being said, the dither remaining in the signal post wordlength reduction to 24 bits is @ -140dBfs or so, way below what can be heard on a 16 bit system...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bobkatz

Re: 32/24/16 2 lots of dither
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 02:01:48 PM »

William Boyle AKA Elfy wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 10:04

High babes.
So i sent evaluation files to a guy at 24 bit which i dithered to,
from 32 float.
I didn't hear from him for a day or 2 until he replied back happy as larry and had dithered down to 16 and sent off for duplication.
Since the audio was dithered twice in this manner is it cumulative,
or does the first lot of dither get thrown away in the next truncation.
Can someone clear this up please.
Thanks

Dither noise adds, like any other noise. Treat it as noise. The new dither you add is used to eliminate distortion when you reduce the wordlength and it is noise.

The audibility adds up as it accumulates, but you rarely hear it directly, you just hear the effects of it. It's pretty darn hard to hear the effects of even SEVERAL generations of 24 bit dither, so don't think too much about it. It's only when you have more than one generation of 16 bit dither that it becomes iffy.

And then again, when you mix multitrack, the noises of all the individual tracks add far more than any dither issue would. So there is a lot of art and mystery beyond the science here. I'm beginning to theorize that some of the veiling I hear from dithering processes may be due to the calculations of the dither itself, and certainly some dithers sound better (more transparent) than others even when their noise floors are the same.

Glenn Zelniker thinks that the reason POW-R sounds as good as it does is because it computes the random noise and adds it in using floating point calculations. Could be...

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 16 queries.