R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any opinions on Tracktion 2?  (Read 2390 times)

Consul

Any opinions on Tracktion 2?
« on: October 17, 2005, 01:29:56 PM »

In the spirit of the "no budget" aspect of this forum...  Very Happy

I'm getting my brother's old Seasound SoloEX plus Expansion gear from him. It turns out that Seasound's software guiy has continued to develop the drivers for Windows, on up to XP and ASIO2. Of course, since my bro is all Mac, this doesn't help him, so he's selling the system to me.

That solves one problem quite nicely.

Now I'm wondering if anyone out there has any opinions on Tracktion 2. I've been told they made a lot of improvements over the first version. I'm also wondering if anyone has got it working well enough with outboard gear (looping out into analog space then back in). I'm told you can shift tracks back and forth along the time line at sample accuracy. As long as this can be done, outboard should be no issue (it just won't be automatic).

I'd like Cakewalk 5 Producer, but I'd be paying for a lot of software (EQs, comps, etc.) that I'm likely to never use. I will want to buy a convolution reverb, but I can at least have my choice on that.

Thank you all for your time.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

hargerst

Re: Any opinions on Tracktion 2?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 10:19:10 AM »

Can anybody help?  I don't know anything about this system.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Consul

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 10:23:36 AM »

Thanks, Harvey!

I was just hoping to find a few opinions, but I found out recently that the demo is fully-functional, so I'll just have to download it and see for myself.

Thank you for the help, anyway. It's greatly appreciated.

If anyone still has any thoughts to offer, I'm still interested in hearing them.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

floodstage

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 02:06:33 PM »

There is a Traktion forum at the Mackie forums.  Might look there.  I've gotten a lot of help from their forums for the D8B and HDR.

Traktion forum is here:

http://forums.mackie.com/scripts/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=fo rum;f=17

Jay Ridgeway

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 07:13:34 PM »

I'll give this one a go, but be warned... T users are almost as creepy as Saturn owners. I used to be a Nuendo user. It's a great piece of software but I had a few problems:
1) It's (extremely) expensive. Even though I had a copy, none of the people I play/write with could justify the expense, which means the only real option for sharing projects was to bounce tracks and share the raw wave files.
2) All the "professional" features kept me noodling through endless menus and reading and re-reading documentation. This is all time not spent writing music.
3) The user interface is in the (decidedly-not-so-clever) emulation of hardware interface camp. This pretty much blows on a computer for anything but the most trivial apps and usually requires dual monitor support and the addition of (expensive) daw controllers so you can pretend you are mixing on a console.

So, I started a project that required passing back and forth full mixes between a pc and mac. I had heard about T which at the time had some pretty great features like freezing and single file project export with or without compression. Plus, it was only $80. I started using it and a few interesting things happened:
1) I stopped experiencing import/export problems!
2) I lost my 2nd monitor since everything was so well contained in a single screen; no more window switching!
3) I spent time making music instead of fiddling with some obscure video timecode feature.

Bottom line, T doesn't get in the way of me writing music. If you are a musician as well as an engineer I think you will find it a great fit.

Jay

P.S. It has the most flexible routing I have seen in any software.

P.P.S. The kvr forum is more interesting than the mackie forum http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22.

Consul

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 09:16:28 PM »

Thank you very much for your comments, Jay! By the way, I'm a Saturn owner...  Very Happy
Darren Landrum

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.