R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample Overages! evil demons you can't see.  (Read 4107 times)

hexfix93

Re: Sample Overages! evil demons you can't see.
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 07:14:45 AM »

well i don't know if this is true for sure or not, but from what i have gathered and read, the more gain changes, up or down, it doesnt matter if its decrease or increase, you get more math errors, more data loss, and it adds up. if its just the main fader that gets the gain decrease instead of all the channel sliders, it makes more sense to me that becasue more gain decreases from all the tracks would add up more errors than just turning down the main one...

let me know if i am way off, i could be, that is just what i think so far from what i have read. because the more db you change over all, the more damaged the sound becomes..

and seriously, when i leave my channel faders alone, or turn em up a bit, and crop the main/master, it sounds louder, and more present, like there is more volume to the sounds, when i turn down all the channels, and turn the master up to 0 and mix that way, i think the sound sounds more distant.. more plastic like... just from my ears in cubase, it could be just cubase too.. i dunno how they do the math for their mixing pre master fader...

i havent done any science to prove or disprove this, its just what i hear...

bobkatz

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 08:51:11 AM »

Denny W. wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 20:40

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 19:31

At the risk of being repetitive, I will take this opportunity to say once again that recording from the first instance at lowered levels (speaking here only of the digital domain) will make everything sound better.  There is no need to go near the red, or even the yellow.  Don't even approach the problem area.

With analogue tape machines, of course, it's another kettle of fish.

Is how far under 0db a platform dependant decision or is there a good rule of thumb in your mind where you like to see the peaks fall?

You can play it safe on all platforms and deliver a 24 recording that is between -10 and -3 dBFS on the highest peak with no problems or loss of resolution or sound, and it may very well sound better at the end of the game. Especially if the mastering engineer uses any analog processing or the recording goes through any further analog stages priot to the release medium. If it is mastered totally digitally, if the files are floating point, and  if the mastering engineer uses a floating point workstation and reduces level digitally prior to conversion to fixed point and dithers to 24 bits at that time... then probably the point of "level" is academic.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

HansP

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »

let me mention that a wave editor (e,g, audition) will show intersample overs in the waveform display, and this should eradicate any doubt about the accuracy of the particular meter tools. you can see it precisely and then you can listen to it at once, or note the cue points and listen on the test CD player how it translates.

bobkatz

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 09:39:23 AM »

HansP wrote on Sun, 16 October 2005 09:26

let me mention that a wave editor (e,g, audition) will show intersample overs in the waveform display

Really? For this to happen the editor has to have considerably more intelligence than my SADiE...  The waveforms are drawn from the true digital level. And even if a waveform is upsampled in your editor (that would be the only way to get intersample peaks in a waveform) how can you judge by the waveform if the intersample peak is +0.3 dB or +1.5 dB? In my opinion, only an oversampling meter can accurately judge those peaks, and furthermore, even that is open to interpretation, as the nature of the filtering that the meter uses may not produce the same degree of peaks as the filters in an MP3, broadcast, or outboarrd sample rate converter. In the end, it is an approximation of the intersample peaks that will be produced.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Ronny

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 02:15:30 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Sun, 16 October 2005 09:39

HansP wrote on Sun, 16 October 2005 09:26

let me mention that a wave editor (e,g, audition) will show intersample overs in the waveform display

Really? For this to happen the editor has to have considerably more intelligence than my SADiE...  The waveforms are drawn from the true digital level. And even if a waveform is upsampled in your editor (that would be the only way to get intersample peaks in a waveform) how can you judge by the waveform if the intersample peak is +0.3 dB or +1.5 dB? In my opinion, only an oversampling meter can accurately judge those peaks, and furthermore, even that is open to interpretation, as the nature of the filtering that the meter uses may not produce the same degree of peaks as the filters in an MP3, broadcast, or outboarrd sample rate converter. In the end, it is an approximation of the intersample peaks that will be produced.

BK

I wouldn't underestimate Audition. It does a lot of stuff that progs 10 times the cost do. It's not only a viable product, but is a great entry level DAW prog and I recommend it to the newbies on my recording groups when they are looking for their first DAW editing and multi-track program.

I don't think that it accurately measures intersample peaks though, what the waveform display does is approximate the post reconstruction filter waveform, so that it does show intersample levels above two samples, I would consider this more as a post DAC reference view than an actual intersample peak evaluation, as it takes the amplitude of the waveform and approximates the curve between samples. If two samples are taken where amplitude is above these two samples, the samples will be connected by an arc, instead of a straight line like some of the better DAW progs exhibit. It's quite useful, but not not a real intersample peak indicator that is accurate to the 1/100dB.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------