R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample Overages! evil demons you can't see.  (Read 4162 times)

hexfix93

Sample Overages! evil demons you can't see.
« on: October 14, 2005, 04:30:46 PM »

http://www.cadenzarecording.com/papers/Digitaldistortion.pdf

Which masters on here know about this and accomidate for it in their sessions? i noticed that once my buddy pointed me to the rme mettering stuff, once i isntalled it and looked at my mixes, i was like whoa.. i am getting overages, so now i turn my master fade down more to make sure it never happens..

but once you smash a mix to hell with a l2, or l3, you really get overages even though it says 0.3 on the meters max in wavelab, my rme meters say its going over... so yeah.. you should really check this out. you may not hear a difference on your dacs, but you will once its burned and you listen to it in a car or on your home stereo..

And nika aldrich's book "digital audio explained" to me is as good as bob katz's "mastering audio".. they are both teaching me a lot...

Zilla

Re: Sample Overages! evil demons you can't see.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 04:59:15 PM »

hexfix93 wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 13:30

.. i am getting overages, so now i turn my master fade down more to make sure it never happens..

This is a common gain-structure misconception.  Yes, turning down the master fader reduces the output of a buss, but the buss input may well still be in overload condition.  The way to achieve a more proper gain-structure would be to leave the master fader at unity and lower the channel faders.  By optimizing the gain structures of individual elements, you will free the whole signal path of unwanted overs/clipping.  This is true for both digital and analog scenarios.

dave-G

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 05:12:59 PM »

I'm not sure about other DAWs, but in Pro Tools HD (TDM systems), the master fader is not analogous to a master or buss fader on an analog console in the way Scott describes -- bringing down the master fader changes the coefficient used to to make the mixed ("summed") result..  It is mathematically and sonically identical to lowering all the individual faders that feed the master.

-dave G(reenberg)
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

Zilla

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 06:35:26 PM »

dave-G wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 14:12

...in Pro Tools HD (TDM systems)...bringing down the master fader...is mathematically and sonically identical to lowering all the individual faders that feed the master.

I performed quick test and can confirm that lowering a MF in PT does appear to be mathematically equivalent to lowering the channel faders.  That is, it does avoid clipping.  Thanks for pointing that out, Dave.  However, I cannot confirm that it is sonically identical.  Somehow the effect of a MF's coefficient acting upon PT signals does leave some sonic fingerprint.  One I would prefer to be without, should I have an option (like removing the MF altogether and just lowering the channel faders).

So, I still say that applying basic, good gain-structure methodology will provide for a higher fidelity product.

compasspnt

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 07:31:34 PM »

At the risk of being repetitive, I will take this opportunity to say once again that recording from the first instance at lowered levels (speaking here only of the digital domain) will make everything sound better.  There is no need to go near the red, or even the yellow.  Don't even approach the problem area.

With analogue tape machines, of course, it's another kettle of fish.

dave-G

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 11:00:17 PM »

Zilla wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 18:35

dave-G wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 14:12

...in Pro Tools HD (TDM systems)...bringing down the master fader...is mathematically and sonically identical to lowering all the individual faders that feed the master.

I performed quick test and can confirm that lowering a MF in PT does appear to be mathematically equivalent to lowering the channel faders.  That is, it does avoid clipping.  Thanks for pointing that out, Dave.  However, I cannot confirm that it is sonically identical.  Somehow the effect of a MF's coefficient acting upon PT signals does leave some sonic fingerprint.  One I would prefer to be without, should I have an option (like removing the MF altogether and just lowering the channel faders).

So, I still say that applying basic, good gain-structure methodology will provide for a higher fidelity product.

I completely agree on your last point, and Terry's.  

However, just to clarify... As it has been explained by people with far deeper knowledge than mine, the master fader is merely a GUI representation; If you deleted the master fader,  hit the "all" group and lowered all the individual faders, it is doing the exact same thing as lowering the master fader.  Either action creates the same "equation" (coefficients and all) in the mix engine.  If there is a sonic fingerprint, you'd get it either way.

The only point I try to make here is that there are far better things to worry about when it comes to gain staging and clipping.

-dave G(reenberg)
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

chrisj

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 01:51:58 AM »

You mean intersample peaks? If you're getting this it's because you're trying to be too hot and too bright at the same time. You can get bright, but there's a limit to how much you can cram into PCM audio.

You should also know that the guys doing your original request of going out to an analog chain and doing EQ and some of the gain boost before resampling are going to avoid this problem, because if you're not clobbering the signal with limiting AFTER resampling, a correctly designed ADC will already  eliminate slew angles that would cause intersample 'overs'. That's because that type of distortion is 'illegal' content for PCM audio.

Interestingly, you can take it and go to DSD quite happily with no problem from any combination of samples in PCM format, and I've been working on the problem of going from DSD to PCM and back (at least in theory- got no DSD authoring *snif*) But you can't take just any samples and put them on, say, a CD. As you've discovered.

...do I really need to add that I deal with this stuff when it comes up?

hexfix93

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 02:39:59 AM »

my theory is that the more you push or pull the recorded audio, the worse the sound becomes. and you will get more math errors by using the channel strip faders than just turning down the master fader..

honestly you should record in at the levels where you want the audio to sit in the mix, this way you will not loose sound quality as much... mixing while recording is your best bet for sound quality, but i think messing with the master fader will be less destructive to your sound that messing with each channel..

zetterstroem

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 07:00:43 AM »

so you think losing resolution in the A/D conversion wich is generally about 20bits S/N is better than adjusting a fader that has 32bits rsolution or more??

Rolling Eyes
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

hexfix93

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 07:22:16 AM »

to my ears, yes... i've been working with cubase, and i think my mix sounds better when the mix is hot and i must turn down the master fader...

Ronny

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 01:50:24 PM »

hexfix93 wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 07:22

to my ears, yes... i've been working with cubase, and i think my mix sounds better when the mix is hot and i must turn down the master fader...

When things are operating correctly in 32 float, there is no sonic difference between the mixer faders and the master fader. You can mix hot on the channels and attenuate the master, or put the master on zero and make sure the ch faders don't clip. The only place where you should hear any difference is when you are outputting the master section above -0dBFs. I don't do a lot of DAW mixing, but on digi consoles, I often have a fader or two above -0dBFs and as long as I attenuate the master section output by the amount that the ch faders are over, no problems. In a typical DAW, which digi consoles don't exhibit, is gain increase when summing multi-tracks. You can have all faders below -0dBFs, but "the sum" of the tracks places the input of the master section above -0dBFs, so "you must" attenuate the master fader. Either way, if things are operating correctly the system still reads the data as ones and zeros at either channel or master gain structures. The real important thing is, no matter where your final mix faders are at, you must not have the master section outputting above -0dBFs.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

bobkatz

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 08:11:22 PM »

Ronny wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 13:50

hexfix93 wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 07:22

When things are operating correctly in 32 float, there is no sonic difference between the mixer faders and the master fader.

Ronny is 100% right. So it would be interesting to examine how hexfix93 reached his conclusions...

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Jack Schitt

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 08:40:59 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 19:31

At the risk of being repetitive, I will take this opportunity to say once again that recording from the first instance at lowered levels (speaking here only of the digital domain) will make everything sound better.  There is no need to go near the red, or even the yellow.  Don't even approach the problem area.

Is how far under 0db a platform dependant decision or is there a good rule of thumb in your mind where you like to see the peaks fall?

masterhse

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 09:10:37 PM »

Zilla wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 18:35

However, I cannot confirm that it is sonically identical.  Somehow the effect of a MF's coefficient acting upon PT signals does leave some sonic fingerprint.  One I would prefer to be without, should I have an option (like removing the MF altogether and just lowering the channel faders).

Could this be due to some sort of quantization error? If it's truly mathematically equivalent how can it not sound the same?
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

chrisj

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 03:44:35 AM »

masterhse wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 21:10

Could this be due to some sort of quantization error? If it's truly mathematically equivalent how can it not sound the same?

You'd have to be able to audit the code. A single bad variable that's int when it's supposed to be 32 bit float could do this. There's C programming errors that can do this, like doing math with constants not expressed as floats- divide by 3, get int output cast to float, divide by 3.0 and you're OK...

Anyway, rather than theorize on how it could sound different with the math the same, it might be a case of the math being broken.

hexfix93

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 07:14:45 AM »

well i don't know if this is true for sure or not, but from what i have gathered and read, the more gain changes, up or down, it doesnt matter if its decrease or increase, you get more math errors, more data loss, and it adds up. if its just the main fader that gets the gain decrease instead of all the channel sliders, it makes more sense to me that becasue more gain decreases from all the tracks would add up more errors than just turning down the main one...

let me know if i am way off, i could be, that is just what i think so far from what i have read. because the more db you change over all, the more damaged the sound becomes..

and seriously, when i leave my channel faders alone, or turn em up a bit, and crop the main/master, it sounds louder, and more present, like there is more volume to the sounds, when i turn down all the channels, and turn the master up to 0 and mix that way, i think the sound sounds more distant.. more plastic like... just from my ears in cubase, it could be just cubase too.. i dunno how they do the math for their mixing pre master fader...

i havent done any science to prove or disprove this, its just what i hear...

bobkatz

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 08:51:11 AM »

Denny W. wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 20:40

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 19:31

Is how far under 0db a platform dependant decision or is there a good rule of thumb in your mind where you like to see the peaks fall?

You can play it safe on all platforms and deliver a 24 recording that is between -10 and -3 dBFS on the highest peak with no problems or loss of resolution or sound, and it may very well sound better at the end of the game. Especially if the mastering engineer uses any analog processing or the recording goes through any further analog stages priot to the release medium. If it is mastered totally digitally, if the files are floating point, and  if the mastering engineer uses a floating point workstation and reduces level digitally prior to conversion to fixed point and dithers to 24 bits at that time... then probably the point of "level" is academic.

BK

HansP

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »

let me mention that a wave editor (e,g, audition) will show intersample overs in the waveform display, and this should eradicate any doubt about the accuracy of the particular meter tools. you can see it precisely and then you can listen to it at once, or note the cue points and listen on the test CD player how it translates.

bobkatz

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 09:39:23 AM »

HansP wrote on Sun, 16 October 2005 09:26

let me mention that a wave editor (e,g, audition) will show intersample overs in the waveform display

Really? For this to happen the editor has to have considerably more intelligence than my SADiE...  The waveforms are drawn from the true digital level. And even if a waveform is upsampled in your editor (that would be the only way to get intersample peaks in a waveform) how can you judge by the waveform if the intersample peak is +0.3 dB or +1.5 dB? In my opinion, only an oversampling meter can accurately judge those peaks, and furthermore, even that is open to interpretation, as the nature of the filtering that the meter uses may not produce the same degree of peaks as the filters in an MP3, broadcast, or outboarrd sample rate converter. In the end, it is an approximation of the intersample peaks that will be produced.

BK

Ronny

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 02:15:30 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Sun, 16 October 2005 09:39

HansP wrote on Sun, 16 October 2005 09:26

let me mention that a wave editor (e,g, audition) will show intersample overs in the waveform display

Really? For this to happen the editor has to have considerably more intelligence than my SADiE...  The waveforms are drawn from the true digital level. And even if a waveform is upsampled in your editor (that would be the only way to get intersample peaks in a waveform) how can you judge by the waveform if the intersample peak is +0.3 dB or +1.5 dB? In my opinion, only an oversampling meter can accurately judge those peaks, and furthermore, even that is open to interpretation, as the nature of the filtering that the meter uses may not produce the same degree of peaks as the filters in an MP3, broadcast, or outboarrd sample rate converter. In the end, it is an approximation of the intersample peaks that will be produced.

BK

I wouldn't underestimate Audition. It does a lot of stuff that progs 10 times the cost do. It's not only a viable product, but is a great entry level DAW prog and I recommend it to the newbies on my recording groups when they are looking for their first DAW editing and multi-track program.

I don't think that it accurately measures intersample peaks though, what the waveform display does is approximate the post reconstruction filter waveform, so that it does show intersample levels above two samples, I would consider this more as a post DAC reference view than an actual intersample peak evaluation, as it takes the amplitude of the waveform and approximates the curve between samples. If two samples are taken where amplitude is above these two samples, the samples will be connected by an arc, instead of a straight line like some of the better DAW progs exhibit. It's quite useful, but not not a real intersample peak indicator that is accurate to the 1/100dB.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------