R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A funny thing happened on the way to the Mastering studio  (Read 4019 times)

bobkatz

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the Mastering studio
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 11:36:01 PM »

andy_simpson wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 08:29

I think that analogue tape noise is different to digital dither/error noise, because analogue tape noise does not impact on the sounds above the noise-floor, whereas dither/error noise is in the low-level information across the whole range of sound.....

....I think....? Smile

Andy

Unfortunately, that's wrong. All noises follow the rules of masking. It can be argued, however, that analog tape hiss is more euphonic. It can also be argued effectively that the noises that analog tape hiss covers up makes things sound better! Ever been in a restaurant that uses noise masking speakers? All the little clinks and hits of forks and knives are muted...  

I worked in television in 1972-1977 while also doing audiophile recording on the side. Before going onto video tape I was complaining about the sounds of camera cables sliding on the floor during a sensitive drama show and the hum of the lights was a problem. The slight film of one generation of tape hiss took that all away.

None of this of course answers my own question of why dither noise seems to be so meaningful when 1/2" analog tape hiss is not (though I am bothered by 1/4" level of hiss at times, at least 15 IPS NNR. There is an optimum, in my opinion).

Maybe it's just me.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

compasspnt

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 11:45:35 PM »

I remember on one Booker T. & The MG's record overdubbing ocean wave sounds over a quiet piano solo intro ONLY because the tape noise was so high, and I wanted to mask THAT.  Never had to do thst on digital, dithered or not...

bobkatz

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 11:54:58 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 12:05

bobkatz wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 19:07

Ryan Moore wrote on Mon, 17 October 2005 18:57

They are still big on DATS in Jamaica,
Yeah, sadly. I've been trying to get 24 bit files from a major studio and the response is often "huh?"
Maybe you should just speak more clearly over the phone?

Hey mon, you speak my language?

I did not make the phone calls, and maybe I would have gotten better results. But instead I communicated through the U.S.-based producer, who may have diluted my request when he went to Jamaica. He still comes back with DATs.

Or maybe there's something the producer isn't telling me, like what it would cost him to get such and such. Frankly, I think a CD ROM with 24 bit files is cheaper and easier these days to make than a DAT!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 18 queries.