R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10K vs 25K pot for master output?  (Read 1995 times)

jason spartz

10K vs 25K pot for master output?
« on: October 13, 2005, 09:14:54 AM »

Hello,

I am racking a pair of yamaha PM-1000's channels.  The fader on the original channel is a 10K pot.  I pulled out a could aux sends pots that are 25K.  Is it a big deal if I use the 25K as my main output level control instead of the 10K?  

Thanks,

Jason

John Klett

Re: 10K vs 25K pot for master output?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 09:47:23 AM »

it depends on how many things the master output control fans out to...  the 25K pot will probably work but it might be loaded down a little more than a 10K pot would depending on what follows it...  but it can't hurt to try the part and see what happens
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

ssltech

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 05:19:18 PM »

I don't know from memory if the control is buffered or if it feeds a pan network direct. If there's a pan network it might interact a bit differently, but you're only just over double the value, so no biggie. 10K logs are easy to find if there is significant interaction. If you're bypassing/removing the pan, then there's probably a good chance that it's just fine. It's all down to the following load.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Phil

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 03:18:30 PM »

Sorry if this is too late to be of any help, but I just read this thread.

The master fader in the PM-1000 input strips is between the equalizer output and the base of Q6, that is, feeding into the strip's output amp (as I'm sure you already know). The pan network is after the output of the strip, so no network problems there.

Is it possible that the pots on the aux sends have been changed (by aux sends, I assume you mean the controls labeled "ECHO")? All the schematics I have show the pots as being 10k, and none of the updates I have show any subsequent value change.

Like John and Keith, I don't think there should be any great problem, but it appears the 25k pot will be loaded down a bit more. As has been said, try it and see -- but the pot values in the module seem to be pretty consistent at 10k, according to all the literature I have at my disposal.
Phil Nelson

jason spartz

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 08:56:28 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  I still have not had a chance to get back at this project.  The echo/aux send pots have 25K stamped on the back of it.  So I assume that is what it is.  I did not check the documentation on that.  I will give it a try when I get a chance.  Thanks guys.

Jason
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.