R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Rubber Soul' killing my buzz...  (Read 7938 times)

vernier

Re: 'Rubber Soul' killing my buzz...
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 02:20:43 PM »

I listen in mono all the time ..just pull out the headphone jack part way ..Byrds-5D sounds so cool in mono.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 03:48:41 PM »

To my knowledge, there has never been a Mono CD release of Sgt. Pepper.

Vernier: listening to one channel is not the same as listening in mono.  For a stereo recording, the left channel is 50% or so of a stereo signal.  A "mono" mix would be the sum of left and right channels with the exact same signal coming out of both (headphone) speakers.

BUT!  Once upon a time, recording engineers would actually create a monaural release.  To us, mono is the sum of left and right, but when summing, there can be frequency cancellation due to phase and certain instrument/vocal balances may change.  Given that, the engineers would actually listen in monaural, rebalancing and re-eq'ing the mix so it sounded optimum in monaural.

Barry

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 04:05:39 PM »

Have done that many, many times, and I sure do miss it!

index.php/fa/1704/0/

Once again.

Phil called a couple of weeks ago to say hi.  Shame what's happened.

Brian Middleton

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 04:43:54 PM »

A couple of years ago I was playing back Revolver through a console with a mono switch and on a whim I pushed it....and it was spooky. I'm old enough to have owned the mono vinyl of that record as a kid, and the sound immediately sent me back to 1966. It was like you could make yourself 8 years old with a switch, the aural memories were that strong. And it sounds *much* better that way.
Brian Middleton
Night Kitchen
Dorchester, Mass.

robero

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 07:29:17 PM »

Hello everyone!!!

As this is one of my favourite subjects concerning recordings I am tempted to make post about it.

In a metaphysical sense, the hemispheres of our left and right brainlobes collect and compute different kind of information both of them specializing into their own purpose. The feeling and the rational.

Now back in the good old days of the sixties, people were feeling and expressing the feelings of the age which were then closely turned into perceived feelings through music and the flow of music.

Of course the bestest of those engineers knew what they were doing by panning rhytmical and melodical instruments differently according to the feeling of the music. It was called stereo. And there were several very good albums made in stereo.

I remember some big-shot engineer saying in some magazine that he doesn't like the way music is nowadays mixed as so called 'big-mono' instead of stereo. I believe he was talking about the modern recordings lacking of stereo-music, but only having a stereo-field, which he then referred as being 'big-mono'

As I'm not gonna make this an essay, there are few words to consider. Free - Flow - Feeling.

How they are incorporated into any musicians, producers and engineers work is a different matter, I guess it's called dialogue.

Does this make any sense??

Rolling Eyes  

Brian Kehew

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 08:41:28 PM »

Be aware that several of the Beatles CDs are not EVEN the original stereo mixes. Stereo WAS done from day one for the Beatles, but without much emphasis until the White Album.

LOTS of common misconceptions about this and other things Beatley. I would wait for a bit (a few months at most now) and read a book that will explain it in great detail. You will, in fact, be shocked at some of the stereo/mono factors at play during Beatles records!
Relax and float downstream...

maxdimario

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 08:44:22 PM »

I hate it when the same sound comes out of both speakers, and it's usually either too out of phase, which means I can't put the speakers closer together, or too phasey, which means I can't put the speakers too close together.

What the hell did I just say?

oh, we're talking about stereo...

Its hard to get a coherent stereo record, very hard...although it's been done before.

I prefer discrete sounds and creative panning...Led Zep!

Barry Hufker

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2005, 12:25:31 AM »

You know, there's too much fuss made about mono vs. stereo.  In either case all one needs to enjoy music is a speaker in the living room and another in the kitchen!   Shocked

Barry

Ronny

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2005, 01:03:33 AM »

maxdimario wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 20:44

I hate it when the same sound comes out of both speakers, and it's usually either too out of phase, which means I can't put the speakers closer together, or too phasey, which means I can't put the speakers too close together.

What the hell did I just say?

oh, we're talking about stereo...

Its hard to get a coherent stereo record, very hard...although it's been done before.

I prefer discrete sounds and creative panning...Led Zep!

You still get phasing if you listen to mono through two speakers.

I didn't know that too phasey and out of phase were opposites.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------