R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Rubber Soul' killing my buzz...  (Read 7939 times)

Ryan Silva

'Rubber Soul' killing my buzz...
« on: October 12, 2005, 11:13:13 PM »

Well here it is: I just bought a new pair of near fields, and there very shiny and very expensive (to me), and I have been listing to all my old favorites through them when I came to 'Rubber Soul'. I have wallowing in this beautiful sweet spot of new gar bliss and wham! Questionably my favorite 'Beatle' album popped my bubble. No center at all.

I assume a fair amount of you folk are already aware of this, so no new news here, but that brings me to my question. I cant say I have ever heard an album paned so extreme before or since. I understand that it was an attempt to get more tracks, and that The Beatles did a fair amount of hard panning on 'Revolver' and so on down the line. But never to such an extreme. Was there a string of early stereo records that did this very same thing? And why haven’t I heard them?

There are only so many hours a day to listen to music. To bad

Barry Hufker

Re: 'Rubber Soul' killing my buzz...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:23:31 AM »

Bill Porter, legendary recording engineer out of Nashville, recorded *many* tracks at RCA Studio B with Chet Atkins (and others) as producer(s).

Bill's console had no pan pot.  The inputs were switched left or right, 1 or 2.  Therefore no center.  I am sure other people were in that same situation.  Even here in St. Louis, at late as 1968 there wasn't a recording console with a pan pot.  Channel placement was switched, Left, Center, Right.

Hardcore Beatles people will probably say something different but if I remember correctly, the "stereo" albums you describe were really never meant to be stereo.  George Martin would record in a manner such that the entire rhythm section might be on one track, with a track for lead vocal, a track for backing vocals, etc.  By combining some of these tracks in a "bounce," he then had more tracks.  As I understand, George Martin intended the tracks to be summed and released on a monaural disc.  At some point someone realized the tracks were separated enough that they could be two channel mono and called "stereo."

If you want a great education, listen to either the left or right track of any song.  It's a revelation.  In fact, the original SGT. Pepper was mixed and released in mono.  To my mind, that remains the definitive mix and they one all of us (of a certain age) remember when the chicken turned into a guitar.

Barry

vernier

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 12:27:31 AM »

Those records are so much more enjoyable to listen to ..it's like mini-surround. "Rovolver" is another, drums on one side, bass on another ..leaves more room for the all-important vocal.

Ryan Silva

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 12:35:37 AM »

[quote title= As I understand, George Martin intended the tracks to be summed and released on a monaural disc.  [/quote]

Wonder what he thinks of that? Would have bugged me. But hey it's F%#@ing 'Rubber Soul' what the hell are going to do, right?

Ronny

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 12:39:12 AM »

Tonedrone wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 23:13

Well here it is: I just bought a new pair of near fields, and there very shiny and very expensive (to me), and I have been listing to all my old favorites through them when I came to 'Rubber Soul'. I have wallowing in this beautiful sweet spot of new gar bliss and wham! Questionably my favorite 'Beatle' album popped my bubble. No center at all.

I assume a fair amount of you folk are already aware of this, so no new news here, but that brings me to my question. I cant say I have ever heard an album paned so extreme before or since. I understand that it was an attempt to get more tracks, and that The Beatles did a fair amount of hard panning on 'Revolver' and so on down the line. But never to such an extreme. Was there a string of early stereo records that did this very same thing? And why haven’t I heard them?

There are only so many hours a day to listen to music. To bad

Center pan both L and R, or slightly left and right of center. There were a lot of albums including a couple other early Beatle albums that had the US stereo versions panned hard. Some songs  with all instruments panned one side and all vox panned the other. Some where lead voc is panned hard, bgv's are panned hard the other way, like "Michelle", lead and percs on the right, bgv's and bass on the left. A general mishmash. Radio was mostly AM mono back than. Stereo hadn't been out for too long, first stereo record I remember seeing was Teresa Brewer's "I'm Sorry", which came out just a couple years before the Beatles. There's supposed to be some reason why the Beatles records were mixed that way which I can't recall, but I remember that there were a lot of records being released where the engineers were still experimenting with the stereo playback field at that time. As long as you are in the sweet spot it's not too bad. Try panning towards center at 11 and 1 o'clock, see if you don't feel what you are missing coming back.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 12:44:24 AM »

A lot of this has been discussed before several times, including on this thread

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/4276/0/0/6 490/?SQ=e9eb3113728a0aacbc6a417e0c4f8343

But as I understand it, Sgt. Pepper was the first album which was actually MIXED for stereo, and that an afterthought.  The Beatles themselves were around for the mono mix, making decisions and putting-in in-putting.  Then when the mono was done, they left, and an engineer just sort of duplicated the mono, panned out a bit.  Still not a truly serious stereo mix.  SP sounds MUCH better in the mono version, if you can find it.

vernier

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 12:48:29 AM »

They tracked thinking it was gonna end up mono, and many desks didn't have pan-pots either, so, when the record company wanted stereo versions, hard panned mixes is all they could accomplish. To me though, it sounds totally superior ..like the musicians are in your room playing.

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 12:51:06 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 00:23

Bill Porter, legendary recording engineer out of Nashville, recorded *many* tracks at RCA Studio B with Chet Atkins (and others) as producer(s).

Bill's console had no pan pot.  The inputs were switched left or right, 1 or 2.  Therefore no center.  I am sure other people were in that same situation.  Even here in St. Louis, at late as 1968 there wasn't a recording console with a pan pot.  Channel placement was switched, Left, Center, Right.

Hardcore Beatles people will probably say something different but if I remember correctly, the "stereo" albums you describe were really never meant to be stereo.  George Martin would record in a manner such that the entire rhythm section might be on one track, with a track for lead vocal, a track for backing vocals, etc.  By combining some of these tracks in a "bounce," he then had more tracks.  As I understand, George Martin intended the tracks to be summed and released on a monaural disc.  At some point someone realized the tracks were separated enough that they could be two channel mono and called "stereo."

If you want a great education, listen to either the left or right track of any song.  It's a revelation.  In fact, the original SGT. Pepper was mixed and released in mono.  To my mind, that remains the definitive mix and they one all of us (of a certain age) remember when the chicken turned into a guitar.

Barry

Oops, I should have read back a few posts. That's interesting Barry.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------