R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trak2 problem  (Read 1614 times)

Capatain Kirk

Trak2 problem
« on: October 11, 2005, 09:21:07 AM »

New here - thought some one might be able to help out on this one.

I'm getting all kinds of distortion, lots of sawtooth and generally just lousy conversion, worse sounding than my 001.

My current setup is the Trak2 into 001 via ADAT lightpipe. Sessions at 44.1 & 48/24 bits. I've also tried going into PTLE via SPDIF and the same distortion is happening - I've done all these tests with the Trak2 set to be master (hardware settings in PTLE have been correct). I've done a hard reset/recalibration on the Trak2 to no avail.

Any hints for troubleshooting this thing before I sent it back to California?

Thanks for any advice, Kirkindex.php/fa/1694/0/

Jon Hodgson

Re: Trak2 problem
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:39:20 AM »

When you say you've tried going into PTLE via SPDIF, what interface were you using then?

Capatain Kirk

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 01:26:03 PM »

Trak2 SPDIF out - 001 SPDIF in (Trak2 master)

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 01:47:10 PM »

Well I'm mostly guessing here...

But there are places in that waveform where the glitches seem to be happening at suspiciously regular intervals.

Which would make me wonder whether the transmitter and receiver are operating at different rates.

How have you go the clocking set up on the 001?

Capatain Kirk

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 01:53:04 PM »

I've tried both at 44.1/48.

PTLE>Hardware Setup>Sync Mode=(SPDIF or Optical depending).

(Optical is set to ADAT)

I've tried this a dozen different ways and been quite methodical about having the right settings.

Thanks for your help,   Kirk

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 01:57:48 PM »

Well I'm not sure how much help I'm going to be in the end, since you've got two hardware units and a software package I don't know.. but anyway.

At the end of that plot it looks like the waveform is getting much cleaner, is that just an illusion, or does the waveform possibly go from cleanish to really horrible and the back again in some kind of cycle?

thephatboi

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 02:55:26 PM »

Hi, I have a trak 2 and love it, did have one problem early on when the original digi ambus card (to connect to a mix plus system) was making clicks and pops, Apogee admitted it had a problem and they did an update eprom chip which they gave me. I wonder if the card might have a problem, You might try taking it out and re-seating it too. Also if you are familiar with the trak 2 clocking window, when you set it to a sample rate, like 44.1 for ex. you then have to push click the main dial to lock or set that setting, just because the number is in the window does not mean it is locked to that setting, when you click the wheel, it will say "system locked 44.1" in the bottom for the that sample rate page. Also there are two types of resets on the trak 2, try both, I have had weirdness where I got no audio thru and had to reset and then it was fine. It is a great sounding box though so obviously something is wacky with your set up or the unit. By the way, the guy at apogee to talk to about the trak 2 is Roger, he is the only one who really knows it inside and out, you might give him a buzz and have  him talk you thru some checks. S

Capatain Kirk

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 05:57:47 PM »

Phatboi, you rule. Thank you.

I'll post back after I've gone over this all again. Glad to know yours was a little 'particular' - I've experienced several weirdnesses as well...

Kirk

greg bates

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 08:40:25 AM »

I had a similar popping problem when I owned a digi 001.  You have to set the (clock, I cant remember) in one of the setup menus to "external" instead of internal and of course match 44.1/48k. And if your using a light pipe there is a limit to the length you can use on a digi001. 20 some inches. Both the external sync and light pipe length caused this problem for me. And no worries it will work! Let us know.
"Two Generations of Americans knew more about the inner workings of a Model T coil than the clitoris." John Steinbeck 1945 - Cannery Row
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 16 queries.