R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: coolest thing I saw on the AES floor...  (Read 16865 times)

bobkatz

Re: coolest thing I saw on the AES floor...
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2005, 07:19:25 PM »

dcollins wrote on Wed, 26 October 2005 02:32

button wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 13:19

Very little axe-grinding here:

http://www.resolutionmag.com/reviews.html

Yep!  Reminds me of the days of yore, magazine wise.

DC

And I am proud to be a columnist in Resolution Magazine. The editor, Zenon Shope, has basically modernized Studio Sound and tried to make it more relevant to the home and project studio without talking down to all their readers.

Bob
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Allen Corneau

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2005, 06:48:58 PM »

Just got the newest Electronic Musician mag, and in the "letters" section:

Quote:

In fact, in with your magazine's assistance, I made to jump into the digital realm. Since going digital, I've purchased most products only after reading its review in your magazine.

I think the weight that a lot of people give these gear reviews is quite high. Maybe higher than a lot of us think.

As they say, "The Pen is mightier than the Sword."
Allen
---
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

Andy Krehm

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2006, 08:36:24 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 00:40

Ed, thanks for reminding me. The Dangerous monitor controller is sweet. Very well built, no idea how it sounds being that i only heard it on the floor. When I was at the Crane song booth, i noticed that the Avocet volume control had some pretty nasty crackles and pops when adjusting the volume. Not good.

I spoke with Chris Muth for a bit on his mastering console. Simple straight forward design. played with it for a bit and liked it. The M/S controll is nothing more, nothing less. I did get to play a bit with the Great river eq at the dangerous booth. Nice sounding Eq although not ready for mastering.

I just bought the Dangerous Monitor ST and it sounds great. Very versatile and lots of switching options with programmability.

We previously used a Presonus Central Station, actually went through 3 units on warranty(!), and when the 3rd one developed a problem, that's when I started looking for something better.

We dumped the Presonus because it was poorly made but thought the sound was OK, you know, their ads say uncoloured, passive this and that.

Boy were we surprised when starting the system up after the change  over. Everything sounded more clear through the Dangerous Monitor ST. So much for inexpensive passive boxes!

Andy,

Silverbirch Productions

bobkatz

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »

TurtleTone wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 00:40

Ed, thanks for reminding me. The Dangerous monitor controller is sweet. Very well built, no idea how it sounds being that i only heard it on the floor. When I was at the Crane song booth, i noticed that the Avocet volume control had some pretty nasty crackles and pops when adjusting the volume. Not good.

Did you mention this to Dave Hill? Are you sure you weren't hearing the audible click of the relays as the pot is moved? There are absolutely no audible artifacts of "moving the pot" on the Avocet's output. But some people are annoyed by the relays (not me), in which case you move the mainframe to your machine room if you can.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.