R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital or ITB mixing - fading affects sound quality? Bob Katz help?  (Read 12847 times)

lek

I remember reading in Bob's Mastering Audio book that if a digital mixer is not of high enough resolution, sound quality/depth will be affected even by fader moves.

Is this test viable - I mixed through my yamaha digital mixer, and noticed that everything sounded best with faders at 0db. I moved faders down, then boosted the overall with my benchmark dac volume, or moved faders up and similarly compensated by lowering the overall volume. To my ears the voice and guitars lost clarity, definition, warmth and stereo image. Yes I know the levels may have not been perfectly matched - but I even occasionally overcompensated by keeping the overall volume a little extra high when the faders were not in the 0db position.

So I tried using the faders on Logic 5.0 platinum on the pc. I only tested this time with a song with two acoustic guitars, but again I felt a decrease in quality if I moved faders - up or down (edited - I did this again and noticed it is not as bad as with the yamaha)

Am I going crazy or is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a better digital mixing solution of higher resolution (other software?)

I'm ready to get a d/a16 and send everything through an analog mixer - do you think this would remedy the situation?
thanks for any help
don't forget to eat your khao niao

Lek
www.lekmusic.com

Ronny

Re: Digital or ITB mixing - fading affects sound quality? Bob Katz help?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 03:18:11 PM »

lek wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 14:46

I remember reading in Bob's Mastering Audio book that if a digital mixer is not of high enough resolution, sound quality/depth will be affected even by fader moves.

Is this test viable - I mixed through my yamaha digital mixer, and noticed that everything sounded best with faders at 0db. I moved faders down, then boosted the overall with my benchmark dac volume, or moved faders up and similarly compensated by lowering the overall volume. To my ears the voice and guitars lost clarity, definition, warmth and stereo image. Yes I know the levels may have not been perfectly matched - but I even occasionally overcompensated by keeping the overall volume a little extra high when the faders were not in the 0db position.

So I tried using the faders on Logic 5.0 platinum on the pc. I only tested this time with a song with two acoustic guitars, but again I felt a decrease in quality if I moved faders - up or down.

Am I going crazy or is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a better digital mixing solution of higher resolution (other software?)

I'm ready to get a d/a16 and send everything through an analog mixer - do you think this would remedy the situation?
thanks for any help

You won't hear any difference when the levels are perfectly matched. 32 bit consoles do not degrade the signal when you raise or lower a fader. Eliminate E/I factor by testing in the blind. It's not uncommon for people to misinterpret something that is written in a book and have it affect their sonic evaluation if they aren't testing blind.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

lek

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 04:38:04 PM »

I am hearing a difference.
In fact, the eq's in my yamaha are supposed to be 44 bit, but they destroy the sound of my tracks as well.

The reverbs do as well - I posted something a few months ago wondering about the quality of the reverb (yam aw4416). Since then I have bought a kurzweil ksp8 - and the difference is astonishing.

Ronny, by the way, you had responded to that thread and told me the aw4416's reverbs are fine, and I've concluded they're crap. Actually the whole unit is a piece of crap (sorry, it's good for recording via digital, but not much else unless you want ease of use - though the editing is cumbersome). I've upgraded the front end (crane song spider, api), but now realize the back end stinks (pun intended)

So I thought I'd transfer it all to computer and mix from there. Logic does seem to sound better, but I will do blind tests.
don't forget to eat your khao niao

Lek
www.lekmusic.com

zetterstroem

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 05:48:45 PM »

i had the same experience with things sounding different.....

this was in protools..... it helped when i switched to a mixing algorithm that applies dither when the fader leaves zero.... but still it sounds better at zero....

protools is fixed point.... maybe that has something to say....
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

maxdimario

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 06:29:57 PM »

Quote:

You won't hear any difference when the levels are perfectly matched. 32 bit consoles do not degrade the signal when you raise or lower a fader. Eliminate E/I factor by testing in the blind. It's not uncommon for people to misinterpret something that is written in a book and have it affect their sonic evaluation if they aren't testing blind.

who is hearing and who is reading?

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:28:06 PM »

lek wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 16:38

I am hearing a difference.
In fact, the eq's in my yamaha are supposed to be 44 bit, but they destroy the sound of my tracks as well.

The reverbs do as well - I posted something a few months ago wondering about the quality of the reverb (yam aw4416). Since then I have bought a kurzweil ksp8 - and the difference is astonishing.

Ronny, by the way, you had responded to that thread and told me the aw4416's reverbs are fine, and I've concluded they're crap. Actually the whole unit is a piece of crap (sorry, it's good for recording via digital, but not much else unless you want ease of use - though the editing is cumbersome). I've upgraded the front end (crane song spider, api), but now realize the back end stinks (pun intended)

So I thought I'd transfer it all to computer and mix from there. Logic does seem to sound better, but I will do blind tests.

Yes, the KSP8 is much smoother sounding and better in all aspects, it also costs close to the same price as the whole AW goes for now. The ADC's in the 4416 are an improvement on the 02r and verbs are exactly the same as is most of the architecture although some of it scaled down to the channel count. Many hit songs were recorded and mixed via the same Yam architecture that is in the 4416. I've mastered at least 50 projects done entirely with the AW series units and some of the better ones beat out the SSL or AMEK mixes that I've mastered. None of the factory verbs or eq patches work well, but with some tweaking many people are getting very good quality material on these units including Mick Jagger who has a couple for his personal use. If you use better front and back end and use only the digital structure in the console the sound will be as good as any. The major improvement is with the 96k yammy consoles, the ADC's and especially the DAC's are much better than the older 20 and 24 bit 48k converters. They've also upped the eq accumulators to 56 bit. The architecture on the 4416 is over 5 years old, so improvements were expected, but it's still getting a lot of use in project studios all the way from Amsterdam to Oz and in between.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------