R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EQs and Filters  (Read 1667 times)

impendingstatic

EQs and Filters
« on: October 09, 2005, 02:53:22 PM »

First of all, what's the difference between a graphic and parametric EQ?  What's a quality EQ brand/model?  Also I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a particular analog filter.  Something that doesn't just cut but also boosts?  Something versitile?  I make ambient/noise so I need something very subtle since I'll be relying on this as an instrument in it's own right.

j.hall

Re: EQs and Filters
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 10:09:10 PM »

i suggestt doing a little research on graphic vs parametric EQs on the net.  that topic can drag on and on and can get rather tedious for those of us that are more into the art of production then the science of electronics.

a SUPER basic overview is that graphic EQs are fixed frequency with fixed Q or bandwidth.

parametric EQs (per band) are frequency adjustable (depending on the make and model) and Q or bandwidth adjustable (again depending)

i'd imagine you are looking for a parametric EQ

analog can m ean two different things

if you are looking for more of an old analog synth type sound, i'd recommend the Moog 3 band parametric.  they aren't easy to find, but they sound awesome.  probably run you about 500 bucks.

if you are looking for a good EQ that's not based on analog synth type circuit design, then there are tons of units people here can suggest, i'd more then likely tell you to get something like API or great river, and those aren't cheap by a long shot.

floodstage

Re: EQs and Filters
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 11:33:27 PM »

The DBX 242 is a nice parametric EQ.  They don't make them anymore but you can find them on e-bay fairly cheap (I paid 125 for mine) Good place to start if you want a parametric EQ and don't have much budget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.