R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: opinions welcome....  (Read 4139 times)

floodstage

Re: opinions welcome....
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 08:39:41 PM »

Sounds like you've figured out what you're going to do.

The idea behind doing one or 2 channels was to see if the difference is significant and positive.  If it wasn't, then you could stop there.

The Neotek / Trident boards that are 10-20 don't have automation do they?  Wasn't that why you got the Big?  Replacing that puppy with something better ain't gonna be cheap.

(p.s.  I'll trade you my board for yours anyday!!!)

Norwood

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 09:46:32 PM »

Quote:

If it was me, I'd mod 2 channels and see if that does what you're looking for.  (Modding 2 channels is cheaper than the power supply isn't it?)

If it works, do the rest of the channels.  Then get the poswer supply.

The problem with your suggestion is that these mods will have a MUCH greater cumulative effect than individual.  It could sound marginal or even insignificant on 2 channels but on 48, amazing.  Gestalt.
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

Jules

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 06:45:41 PM »

What desk is it?

Does it use Virtual dynamic's? & the Super True VCA automation?

Does it have those vca on/off buttons near the pan pots?

That messes with the sound quite a lot as I understand it..

I worked on a Amek Hendrix for about 2 years..

That wasn't nearly as punchy as the MCI 500 the studio tossed out (mind you that was falling to bits and far too short on channels)

I always avoided the VCA path when tracking on the Amek.

j.hall

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 09:57:35 AM »

it's an Amek Big

i had all the VCAs swapped out and that made a HUGE difference.  i do not have a choice in putting the VCA in or out of the audio path, it's in all the time.  since the VCA change, i don't really have much issue with them.

i don't have virtual dynamics fitted in this console, but i do have super true automation and i use it quite a bit.

Invisible Member

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 10:22:11 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 07:08

3.  should i just deal with this as it is (since my clients are loving the mixes i'm doing) and not sink more money into it, and just save up cash for a better desk?

Im sort of in the same postion with the RAMSA I have. But I decided to just keep saving because I don't want to explore dumping money into a risk item. Risk meaning there are no guarantees that when your all done that you will be satified even if there is an improvment. Since you have upgraded your monitors an other parts of the chain you should probably follow that same path with the console. I know I get tempted because of my impatience to go replace the RAMSA ASAP but I know I'll regret that decision if I'm too hasty. One thing I have considered is racking a few different types of channel as console substitutions. I even pondered the Idea of buying a 12 channel mixer for drums, another 8 channel mixer for guitars etc... Yikes what a summing nightmare!

Since what you have works (good enuff) and your cash flow is limited is it worth the risk?

What do you want in the end? A clean characterless console where you rely on racked strips for color, or a classic console with character to minimize lunchboxes?

I always try to figure out a long term goal and then plan accordingly within reason.  Another thing is took look at Amek Big resale values.

Peace,
Dennis

j.hall

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 05:50:19 PM »

i have booked Fred Forssell to do signal path consulting on the channels and to spec out a new power supply.

he is very busy and won't get to my project until 2006 but i'm not in a huge hurry.  i want the designs to be amazing.

i honestly think this will be a much cheaper solution then buying an API legacy+

not that i expect that sound....but i feel that with Fred's skills i can get a really rocking console.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.