R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what else do i need to produce quality recordings?  (Read 5539 times)

Norwood

Re: what else do i need to produce quality recordings?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 04:09:30 PM »

vernier wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 11:49

I'd add one more thing, a reel to reel, for recording drums, and for mix.

Your reputation here as a analog snob goes without saying, but honestly... does he really need a reel to reel "to produce quality recordings"?  Gimme a break.
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

vernier

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 04:23:40 PM »

Yes, very much so ..night and day. Try it!

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 04:35:07 PM »

What do you need to make good quality recordings?  Experience and knowledge.  You need to know the basics of recording, like mic placement, proper gain staging, how to use the gear, avoiding phase cancellation, etc.  If you don;t know that, do some research on the web or buy a recording book.  You also need to know how to make your instruments sound good before you record them, and that includes knowing how to play.  If the source sucks, so will your recording.

As far as the gear goes, a real pro can take a handful of SM57s, a Mackie and an M Box and make something listenable and musical sounding.  Save your money, stick with the gear you've got and learn how it works before you start worrying about buying something that you won't have the knowledge to use properly.  Listen to lots of good records, study them, and see if you can get some of those sounds with the gear you have and experiment.  Don't just come in here and say "How do I do this?"  You'll become a much better engineer by experimenting and trying to figure it out yourself.

Good luck and have a great time doing it!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 04:44:31 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 21:35

Don't just come in here and say "How do I do this?"  You'll become a much better engineer by experimenting and trying to figure it out yourself.

I dare say you've forgotten more about recording engineering than I know, but I perhaps I could suggest that when it comes to something more specific than "how do I make great recordings?", sometimes perhaps it would be a good idea for him to come here and ask "how do I do this"...

He'll get twenty different answers...

And then he should try ALL of them...

and a few of his own.

Sometimes we all need a bit of a shake to get us thinking in new ways.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 06:11:05 PM »

John, yes.  But if you carefully read what I wrote, I said "don't just come in here and ask..."  I didn't say not to ask us.  It was more about encouraging experimentation than than asking for an easy answer.  I'm sorry that didn't come across clearly, so thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify that.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

y2jerik0

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 06:35:30 PM »

thank you everyone for your replys...for now, i'll take the advice of the majority and master the skills of what i have already before i go out buying more

thanks again everyone

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 06:35:41 PM »

JJ

Understood, actually looking at it again I should probably have guessed the inflection.

y2jerik0

One thing I might add is that since I'm guessing you don't have the benefit of a nice professional designed acoustic space, so as well as the obvious things of like mic placement, editing and mixing techniques, you would do well to learn some basic acoustics. Mics only pick up the sound that's there, so the better you can make the sound in the room, the better your recordings.

maxdimario

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 06:50:51 PM »

I'd spend the money on the absolute best microphones, and the absolute best pres you can get, avoiding tinny fet mics if possible.

that is, if you want to improve RECORDING quality.

if you want to make a great RECORD, you need a great band and a great vibe.

or an artist who can do it all convincingly.

you CAN make a great record with sm57's, especially if the band is a great live-feel band.

Some live records recorded with dynamics are more convincing than full-on studio albums.

as far as ease of recordings, a great tube mic, ribbon and large diaphragm dynamic, will enable you to use LESS mics, and not worry so much about perfect mic combination/placement.

in the words of the old EMI engineer, you can stick ONE mic up and you know if it's going to be a hit.

..That is if you've got an actual hit in the room.

vernier

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 07:28:23 PM »

Forget mastering the craft, you wanna put down cool soundz now!!! ..and no matter what, that Tama kit ain't gonna happen less it goes to tape.

danickstr

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 11:04:25 PM »

vernier wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 19:28

Forget mastering the craft, you wanna put down cool soundz now!!! ..and no matter what, that Tama kit ain't gonna happen less it goes to tape.

vernier's got a fever...and the only cure is drums to tape!

regarding my post about better stuff, it's true what JJ said.  learn what you need to learn first.  that is the main thing.

would it sound better with the stuff I mentioned? Only if you konw how to use it well, so just practice with the stuff ya got.

good luck, and do read up on the concepts.  Basically, take JJ's post, put my name on it, and thank me for the advice.

cheers
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.