R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what else do i need to produce quality recordings?  (Read 5538 times)

y2jerik0

what else do i need to produce quality recordings?
« on: October 08, 2005, 02:16:30 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm about one year into recording, so im definitly wouldn't consider myself knowledgable although i am constantly researching and reading sites such as this....but anyways, i wanted to know what else you more experienced people think i need....

so far i have :

Digi 002 (4 pre-amps built in)
PowerMac G5 2GHz Dual Processor
M-Audio BX5 Monitors
Shure KSM27 Mic
2 x MXL603's  (for overheads)
AKG D112 (for kick)
Shure SM57 (snare)
Tama Rockstar Drumset with Sabian AAX Stage Cymbals and a Zildjian K Custom Ride
WAVES Diamond Plugin package
Guitar Rig (amp simulator)
Fender Deluxe 112 Amp

right now i have a crappy guitar and bass, I plan on getting a Gibson guitar soon and a new bass soon as well...

but equipment wise, what else do i need to make good recordings..am i missing anything?

TotalSonic

Re: what else do i need to produce quality recordings?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 02:34:14 AM »

y2jerik0 wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 07:16

but equipment wise, what else do i need to make good recordings..am i missing anything?

Seems to me you have absolutely everything you need to make good recordings except for some Shakti Stones -
http://www.shakti-innovations.com/
I recommend lots of them!!

Razz Very Happy

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

$a1Ty

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 02:41:08 AM »

or what about some cable towers

http://www.audiovisionnetwork.com.au/a/120.html

"Music reproduction is clearer, with more liquidity, dynamics and focus. The improved inter-transient silence allows the listener to hear ambient cue information essential for accurate perception of stage depth, width and unwavering imaging."

lmao thats too funny
Nathan Salt
Hence the nickname - it's an aussie thing

Norwood

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 03:14:46 AM »

The longer you do this the more you'll begin to know that you are never done buying gear.  I can't tell you how many times I've told my wife, "once I buy this, I'll have everything I need".  She just ignores me now.  The important thing is to do your best with what you have, and when you find a hole in your gear, try to fill it.
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 07:28:16 AM »

I agree with what Michael said. Stop worrying about gear, and get stuck into mastering the craft. Record, listen, improve. Once you know how to get the best out of what you have, you'll know if you need anything else.

I also recommend the Harvey Gerst forum on this site if you have practical questions about your gear and how to get the best out of it.

Ralf Kleemann

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 07:43:07 AM »

Sometimes it's amazing what somebody who is using their ears can get out of average equipment. Some of the best records ever made were done like that. It doesn't matter if you have "expensive microphone type such-and-such" or "expensive preamp type such-and-such", although there is a big hype around these items. Which doesn't mean that there isn't a lower limit of what good equipment will cost you. But, after all, what counts is the ear, and feeling, of the person turning the knobs.

I know that you know this, but it's never wrong to reinterate!

Best o' luck with your work,
Ralf

bbchessman

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 11:14:26 PM »

I'm more on the production end of things but I would recommend getting an 1176.  Used on every record I've ever been involved with.  Good luck.

"Put the brick on the tape machine during the chorus so you can slow it down for more emotion"  Carlos2003

Brett Mixter Rader

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 05:00:17 PM »

You just need a good listening environment. Thats more important than any other piece of gear you can buy.

maxdimario

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 06:33:11 PM »

I'd get a good tube mic and a good ribbon. at least one of the two.

danickstr

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »

you have what is known as entry level pro gear.  You will need to upgrade it all as time and money permit. (comp excluded).  A good place to start IMO is with a Great River preamp. Hopefully you see the logic of getting 4 preamps "for free" is not going to cut it for critical tracks.  Mercenary sells them for about a grand.  Then read the post on good condensers for under a grand.  And the thing about good listening environment is also invaluable.  A boutique converter would be nice too.  Dan Lavry is introducing a cost-reduced one that has lightpipe.  Sorry to not go along with the mid-level gear can make great tracks concept, but I am a snob of sorts, and have to be honest about that.

Kraft makes spaghetti in a box, and Stouffers makes it frozen for a step up, but wouldn't you rather have it made in an Italian restaurant?
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Ronny

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 03:45:57 AM »

Practice.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------