R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gain Stage Question  (Read 1389 times)

Ryan Silva

Gain Stage Question
« on: October 13, 2005, 06:51:24 PM »

I just got a Pair of Event ASP6's and they are much louder than my previous set, and I was wondering about the input attenuation. It goes from Max, to -5db, and then to -10db, my question is this, am I introducing more noise by staying under 'Unity' on my Monitor mixer, or by turning down the monitors.
I know in live sound these days I’m seeing fewer and fewer people keeping the amps all the way up. I don't pretend to understand the difference between Modern Power Amps, and ones lets say made in the 80's, but I was wondering if the change in technology applies to reference amplifiers.

Ignorantly Yours

Tonedrone

Brian Roth

Re: Gain Stage Question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 02:20:41 AM »

I would "cool down" the monitor amp chain so that you have use of most of the range on the monitor gain control on your mixer (or whatever).

My "old seat of the pants" method for tweaking the input level of the power amp was to set the CR monitor pot to "2:00", then set the amp's input levels so the level in the control room was Pretty Damned Loud.  Typically, that would mean the input controls on the amps would be -10 db to - 20 dB.

That should ensure best signal:noise in the output stage of the desk and ample adjustment range on the CR level pot.  Too many times I've seen situations where the input levels on the amps were cranked WFO, so the usable range on the CR level pot was from maybe 8:00 to 11:00.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.