R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Critque my first Studio Setup  (Read 6584 times)

Zephyr

Re: Please Critque my first Studio Setup
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 04:35:36 AM »

"To be clear, I was talking about the old sound craft consoles, like a 200-B or one of the old studio consoles. The pre's in those can sound very very good for the money.. The EQ's can sound REALLY REALLY Great too.Your idea about the ART units is good. The VLA's do sound nice and you can use em'' in the computer rig..."

Actually, *before* I even considered the Digimax and anything else, I was looking at grabbing a bunch of MCI channel strips. Didnt work out... and the Motu/Digimax/Furman all came racked together for a nice price, so I grabbed it.

Regarding the Cue Mix.... for windows, that doesnt work correctly with the 896, only the 896HD... so I do need a low end console for monitoring. You can only do latency free monitoring with a single stereo pair with the 896 non HD.

Wow, I'm really glad guys like the UAD so much. Cant wait to try it. After hearing the fairchild guitar demo on UA's website, I knew I had to have it. I havent heard any software compressors that can shape instrument attacks as nicely as that.

Regarding the control surface... I plan to get one eventually. I actually think it's kind of essential because I've noticed mixes come out better when people interact physically with the levels. I'll probably get one once I have everything running smooth and I start letting people rent the studio.

I'm considering dropping the Prochannels in favor of a second UAD card or some type of harmonizer/auto tuner.

Regarding the LDC... I'm picking up an AKG SolidTube I found for a nice price (450). If I dont like it, I can sell it at no loss, so whatever. I'll look into the 4047.

By the way, I have a Digimax for sale now if anyone wants it Smile I'm grabbing and LT for the Inserts, so I'll be dropping the 48k which I currently have.

Thanks for your guys's help so far.

- kelly

Frob

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 04:31:20 PM »

yea a second uad1 would be a good bet, i never run out of cpu power on my computer but always tapp out my uad1, remember there all the same card. also if you buy before january you get 5 $50 off your first extra plugin download. but i cant remember if the corus comes with ultra pak or not. also if your just looking for a nice hard ware vca comp, you can get a dbx 160 for around 200 on ebay.

Zephyr

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 03:11:11 AM »

Ok, I think I've pretty much decided on dropping the Pro Channels, and going for some type of TC-Helicon Voice correction/harmonizer type thing. Strikes me as a lot more usefull.

There are 3 units from them I'm looking at:

The VoicePrism Plus

Voice Works

Voice One

All of their units seem to over lap the others, yet miss some of the features of the next that it's really hard to choose....

For instanceL The Voice works has a 4 voice hybrid harmonizer... the Voice One is only 1 voice, but it has inflection on it's thickening, and has voice modeling/vocoder... But the Voice works has Reverb and delay where as the Voice one doesnt.

The VoiceWorks seems better for harmonizing, the VoiceOne seems to be aimed at doubling and sound enhancement, the VoicePrism seems like it's aimed as an FX proccessor...

Which one Smile

Oliver

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 09:26:57 PM »

redfro wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 15:43

Vertigo wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 13:59

Personally I'd recommend a Beta52 or a D6 over the e602. I have an e602 and have never found it particularly useful.

I would chose the 602 over the D6 or the Shure any day. I actually just sold my D6 cause, outside of live work, I've never had it work for my sound. And the Beta 52 I don't even like for live work.

Just goes to show, try out everything in your space and pick what you like, not what some hack like me tells you is cool.  Laughing

Haven't tried the 602. However, I bought the D6 on Lance's recommendation about a year ago. Others have called it a 1 trick pony. I wouldn't go that far but I would say that it gives a very specific kick sound somewhat regardless of placement. This makes it very easy if it makes you happy and near useless if it doesn't. Let me say that I LOVE this mic but IME it's not going to perform a lot of tasks in the studio outside of getting a certain mid-scooped kick sound. I haven't tried it on floor toms though. Anybody like it there?
Oliver.

Zephyr

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 12:00:01 AM »

Update:

Besides some other things, I've now got a running UAD-1 card.

First thing I fired up was the 1176LN... This is one beats the crap out of any other software compressor I've heard up to that point. I tried it on drums and they just exploded... and the way the attack/decay responded was very nice indeed. The BombFactory emulation of this plug doesnt even compare... the uad-1 version just owns it (To my ears). One of the main things I hated about the BF version was that it was very easy to get the compressor's attack to "pop" in a painful way on loud transients (I have no idea if you guys know what I'm talking about). The UAD-1 emulation doesnt do that anywhere you set it.

The 1176SE was also useful. I found it to be more transparent sounding than the 1176LN, maybe brighter and a little less pompous. The LN was way fatter sound though. I thought the LN beat the SE, but I actually like both. I did the pop test with this one too and neither of them had the painful dynamics thing going. Long releases on this one sounds very different from the LN. Brighter and louder sounding... the  LN was darker and you could hear it pushing the signal down more.

The Putlec EQ absolutly owns. I dont know what it's doing, but just sticking it in the signal chain makes things sound better. It's definetly messing with the lows and highs...

I also like the GatesCom.. simple, but it sounds fairly natural.

Another two plugs that own are the Presicion EQ and Limiter.

I wasnt impressed with any of the reverbs other than the EMT, which sounded great. The CS-1 channel strip strikes me as useful.

I am not am not disapointed with this piece of equipment.

I also now have an AKG Solid tube (Bought it for $425, like new).

So now it's just down to the essentials: Mics, stands, patchbay, mixer, etc

Thanks for helping everyone

- kelly

digibird

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 01:20:22 PM »

Vertigo wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 19:59

The e604's are great - the trick is that you have to aim them at the center of the drum, NOT directly down at the drum head. I had to learn one that the hard way  Rolling Eyes

-Lance

Good advice here, and I second their usefullness.  Buy the 3-pack from northernsound.net.

brandondrury

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 04:39:56 AM »

If budget allows, I'd pick up an SM7b.  I'm finding them useful for all sorts of things.  It's a nice alternative to a condenser.

I'm assuming the pitch correction stuff was a plugin right?  There is no way I'd go with hardware, especially if you are mixing in the box.

Brandon

Jay Ridgeway

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 07:29:21 PM »

Nice list Kelly! Some things to add to the top:

1) Realtraps. I'm a convert. This was the best money I ever spent since it makes every recording and every mix better.
2) Soldering iron. At the very least you will need to make and repair cables.
3) Peterson (virtual) strobe tuner. I can't tell you how much better musicians sound when they are in tune. Only accept Peterson!
4) Stabilant 22. If you are doing maintenance yourself, this is the closest you will get to true magic in your lifetime. If you are not doing the work yourself, make #4 a fat bank account. Rolling Eyes

Jay
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.