R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rode Microphone Users  (Read 17285 times)

compasspnt

Re: Rode Microphone Users
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2006, 12:35:26 AM »

rankus wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 18:59

Terry,
How would you compare the NT-6 to the Sure [sic] SM81 sonically?

...His argument is that the Sure [sic] will hold value for resale, but the RODE is an unknown....

Well, I have not made a direct comparison between the two mics, so what I say will be from general impressions, over periods of time somewhat distant from each other, but...

I like both microphones; I own both microphones.

Featurewise, they both have bass rolloff (although the Shure is two positions, while the R

rankus

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2006, 01:52:05 PM »

Thanks sooo much for your time Terry.  It's is very highly appreciated...

Hopefully we will have a report/review to add to this thread in a few weeks.

Nice re-direct on the "Piano in a field" thread by the way .. true genius! Cool
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

bilco

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2006, 04:24:58 PM »

NT1A - Need Feedback please

I bought this mic......  For a mic that won the Electronic Musician 2004 Editors Choice Award, I can't find any positive feedback about this mic as a vocal mic, other than from the people who bought it from the direct web purchase music sites.....

What I need to know:

My ears are too far gone and I am too tired at 51 to learn to be a great mixer.  My focus needs to get back to what I think I am good at, which is writing.  If I ever get to a stopping point on a homegrown CD, I will be asking and paying for someone else to mix.  I already have this mic; it sounds good to me, at least less midrangy than my SM57 and SM58.  If I am careful with the  placement and record vocals with no EQ going in, can the pros among you work with this mic when mixing down?  Here is a sample of the style of music I am recording, acoustic based instruments on top of electric bass and drums, probably with fiddle, dobro or acoustic guitar as the finishing touches.

No Sign of Our Love
http://home.mindspring.com/~billcolbert/calichemusic/

I think I recorded with it about 6" from my mouth at my forehead aiming down toward my mouth, into the mic pres of my Digi001.  The same mic was used on all of the vocal tracks.  The room stinks and the mix stinks, I just want to know whether this mic can work for my voice or if you think I need to spend yet more $$.

I have realized that the gear pursuit is wasting my time that could be better spent writing and practicing.  I need to know if this mic can be worked with or around or if I need to ditch it. To be honest, I probably don't have the hearing left to tell the difference.  

Thanks for your time,
bilco

compasspnt

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2006, 10:38:18 PM »

Hey Bill; man, you're just full of positives!

I've never used or heard the exact mic you mention, but I see no reason that it would not work for you.  It's certainly not the weak link in your chain.  All mics, of course, will work better and sound better through a better mic pre, and with better A>D conversion.  But a lot of people have recorded some good sounding stuff with what you have.

Just be careful about sibilance (too much "ssss"); once it's recorded, it's hard to get it out.

Also, keep your recorded levels reasonably low.  No need to get too close to the red on any track!

If you haven't read  it, check out this thread:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/4918/6490/?SQ=1 04a59a8c184e4203aa47ad706cf3bff

It's long, but full of information.

Good luck.

Tidewater

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2006, 03:19:30 AM »

You might also try micing over your shoulder to get a fuller sound, without as much 'face' in it, with a brightish mic.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

bilco

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2006, 04:03:24 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 18 February 2006 21:38

Just be careful about sibilance (too much "ssss"); once it's recorded, it's hard to get it out.

Also, keep your recorded levels reasonably low.  No need to get too close to the red on any track!

If you haven't read  it, check out this thread:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/4918/6490/?SQ=1 04a59a8c184e4203aa47ad706cf3bff

It's long, but full of information.

Good luck.

Terry,

Sorry about the negative attitude..... no excuse....

I read 6 pages of the thread.... at first I thought you had sent me on a snipe hunt!! Then I found this:

"My firm belief is that if users of Protools, and the other DAW systems, would do the following, then MANY of the "digital" or "in the box" audio problems would vanish:

compasspnt

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2006, 04:30:34 PM »

All good, Bill.

No, the DAW & Desks Thread is certainly no Snipe hunt.  The first few pages are a bit much, but really, the last 10 or 12 are absolutely crucial to recording better in today's DAW domain.  Especially be sure to read Paul Frindle's posts.

And I didn't notice sibilance in your mp3.  Actually, I almost never listen to songs posted, for various reasons,.  I was just 'talking' in general.  Many of the LDC mics are purposely equalised with a boost in the high end.  This was, at least in part, originally because such mics were planned for distant use, and that helped to bring the tonal balance into line.  But when people get very close (sometimes to take advantage of proximity effect also), and sing loudly, there is often a sibilance problem.  I fight it every day, with many brands of mics, from Neumann to Soundelex to Rode to AKG...  It's just a part of the whole thing.

You'll get it!

Best regards.

Tidewater

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2006, 01:44:11 AM »

I didnt listen either Bill, I just note that mic has more top end than some other choices, and well, after Terry accused you of having all this siblance.. lol.. I just assumed.

Apologies for the advice, without a qualifier, or a context.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

tall_phill

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2006, 02:11:39 AM »

I've had a pair of NT 5s for quite some time.

I am content with the sound quality, and very impressed with Rode's customer service (re: repairs).

No one I've seen has raised my three issues with the microphone (which aren't significant) they are:

1] Its output is really frickin hot (upto 13.9 dBu). Ive had to pad down the input when recording piano & cello duos! This has caught me out once or twice in live recordings - whilst that is undoubtably my fault, I feel the output level is a bit impracticle.

2] The model and serial number markings on the microphone are printed on some sort of tape that is glued to the microphone. These are peeling off mine. I wish they had just spent the extra dollars to engrave/stamp this stuff.

3] The case they provide the microphone in is nice and sturdy, but its ridiclously large for a pair of pencil consendors. If I had the foam cut I could fit another half dozen mics in there. This doesnt matter for studio work, but for live or field work the case is impracticle - which is also when it could be most useful.

None of these problems is a deal breaker by any means, but they irk me from time to time.

Phillip

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2006, 02:37:38 AM »

Hi....a number of years ago I bought a Rode NT2...I thought it was so good I bought a second one for my missus. She helps me out on harmonies occasionally......
MAWD

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 19 queries.