R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rode Microphone Users  (Read 17290 times)

James Duncan

Re: Rode Microphone Users
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2006, 09:20:01 AM »

I hear some good comments on the Classic (or is it the "Classic II" now?). Does anyone have any experience with one of these guys?
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

compasspnt

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 09:37:05 AM »

I have two of the Classic II's.  The only thing I don't like about the mic is the name.

It comes with an NOS JAN tube (same tube used by ELA-M 251) and Jensen output transformer.

I always put the II up against my U-48, M49, ELUX-251, U-87, Gefell UM-92s, or other similar mic when auditioning for lead vocals.  The II wins as often as any of the others.

It can be used on almost anything.

Also, just recently I used the 2000 for the first time.  I second the comments above concerning this mic.

George_

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2006, 09:41:06 AM »

Quote:

I have noticed Terry Mannings website has a good rave on them so was wondering what others had to say.

I am so sorry terry.. any chance you are near switzerland in the next few month? will spend you some beers for bringin up this topic.

do you get any money from them now because of the selfgoing marketing?Wink

cheers
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

compasspnt

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2006, 11:21:56 AM »

Hi George,

I would love to see you, should I get near Switzerland...by the way, that's a beautiful place!  But I do not drink beer, so you'll have to buy me a Perrier or two.

No, I do not ever get any money from Rode, and never have.  I just "accidentally" discovered that their microphones were good, professional products, despite the preconceptions that I had always had about them, so I posted the "apology."

I still proudly use my Neumann, AKG, Sennheiser, Soundelux, Gefell, Beyer and other microphones on almost all sessions.

As I have stated before, I was allowed to purchase some Rode products directly, for less thsn retail or street price, so I must let that fact be known in the interest of fairness.  But I would not buy something I didn't like at any price.

EDIT:

Let me elucidate further for the purposes of clarification. I am tiring of posts regarding Rode microphones, and of being associated with being a "mouthpiece" for them.   But it is important that my words explain the enormity of the awakening I had regarding the brand.

Before December of 2004, I hated Rode mics (not having ever used one of course).  I had no idea at all where they were made, what the people involved were like, or what their goals were. I had publicly derided Rode in the same breath as several other "non-standard" microphone brands.

I was virtually forced against my will and better judgement to use MANY of their mics on a project while tracking in Australia, and I was completely taken by surprise when they worked just fine at a professional level.  That actually made me feel bad about how I had previously felt, and what I had previously said.  That is why I made the post on the Compass Point Studios website.

While on that same Australian four month trip, and after successfully using the microphones and commenting about them to the studio owner and manager, Rode invited me to visit their factory.  I had not even known that the mics were made there...that's how oblivious I was to the brand.  I made that factory trip, and met the people involved.  I was very impressed.  This was not a company outsourcing products from China or other places, just marketing someone else's product under their brand name.  This was a dedicated group of music loving (and playing, in many cases) people who genuinely cared about music and their product's quality.  Vintage Neumann and AKG mics were sitting in their test room for comparison.  They wanted to know exactly what I thought about their mics, both good and bad, in the hopes of continually improving them.  The factory was state of the art, and had cost well over $25 million to build.  They made their own capsules (I saw it), made their own bodies, electronics, grilles, everything.  Their goal was to make the very best product at any price, but to also make it in quantities which made the cost of the final product as affordable as possible.  This is a new business model borne of the computer revolution's opening up of the marketplace into the home and garage.  This attempt at pricing structure was never possible before.  But the goal was, and is, to make the best product they possibly could to serve the music.  And of course, at the end of the day, to make money with a successful business.  Why else would they invest so much to begin with?

Now Peter Freedman, the owner of the company, is a friend, so my words must be taken with that in mind.  But if I find a bad product they make, I will post that too!

Hopefully this has explained my posts.  As I said, I have many other mic brands which I love and use daily.  I just include Rode in that group now.

OK.  Enough of all of this.

Best regards,

T

smorgdonkey

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 02:36:34 PM »

Well...after that post I don't feel bad about my choice of a mic...not that I did before. Like I said "I love the mic to be perfectly honest".

cdr-1

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2006, 02:48:55 PM »

so...

I was really getting into the bit about modding rode mics.

I was wandering if anybody else has had any experience upgrading the components in these.

I've got an NTK and I really like, but like most people, find it to be a much more syllabiant (sp?) than I like.

anybody?

thanks,
Adam
CDR
"Henceforth I shall suck the teat of the musical welfare state. I have become a DJ."

Revolution

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2006, 08:09:44 PM »

Yes the Rode Classic is a great mic. I have one though does have a peak in the high mid's that im not to fond of.
The components in the Classic are much better than the K2 (the K2 has a lot of surfface mount components).
But apart from all of this their customer service is outstanding.Have herd many positive comments reguarding this.

Patrik T

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 03:15:16 AM »

Some months ago I recorded an upright piano in a room with boring acoustic properties. I had stripped the piano down very much (taken away all possible panels) so it was very open. My intention was to pluck, or rather - hit, the strings softly to get this harp-like sound and resonant sound.

The string were all undamped by pressing down the pedal.

And I said: Why not try those NT 5's.

For this kind of sharp attacks and long decays I found that they worked very well in a X/Y, some twoo-three feet above the top and centre of the piano.

I found no reasons to get into any eq-business to make it fit and glue later in the mix. Still it was standing out.

Some people say that the NT 5 has a poor top-end. I would rather say that it has got an own and very useful characteristic if you are enough open-minded to realize that. I think it is kind of silly to kick this microphones ass by saying it doesn't stand up to a "similar" Neumann or whatever.

They are not similar and I guess I wouldn't be happy if I had put two Neumanns over my piano in this case, when recording to digital.

I like the NT 5. It can handle complex sounds without problems. It doesn't have any bloody harshness to it. It is neutral and, perhaps, a little sweet. There is nothing wrong with the NT 5. It has got its own face, and I wish more people could realize that before saying "this mic suck compared to this and that".

The NT 5 is kind of a pencil ribbon-like microphone which can become very useful when recording at macro-distances or when one doesn't want to have things overly "airy".

Joe Black

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2006, 10:43:20 AM »

I love my K2. It has a mid boost (I guess) that adds just the right amount edge to my baritone. When I initially demo'd it, I had a friend who owns a studio help me a/b it agisnt the other mics that always flattered me - a Blue Blueberry and a Neuman U67. It held up well agianst each. I'm gong to look at trying some tube changes in the next few months to see what happens and appreciate the suggestions in this thread.

edit:wrong thread.

davidelkinsrice

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2006, 03:27:18 PM »

I'm having difficulty finding any non-electrolitic capacitors for the K2.  I found a 220 micro Farad (rated @ 16v), 3 - 47 micro Farad (rated @ 160v), and a 47 micro Farad capacitor (50v) in the Mike.  I called Wima direct (1 818 846 3911) and they said that a capacitor with any of the above (47/220 micro Farads) capacitances made out of metal polypropelene (non electrolitic) would be very large and only in the super capacitance line.  Where did you find your capacitors?  Perphaps I'm missing something.  It doesn't appear that the capacitance is in pico Farad.  I'm sorry to bother you with such detail but I'd really like to try the new capacitors in my K2 and am not having any luck.

David

wavdoctor

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2006, 12:16:58 PM »

if anyones interested in hearing the nt2000. Just finished recording this track with one. all vocals were nt2000 through great river pre.
no eq on backups,slight high end roll off on main voc.
enjoy..song is called kristina,you may recognize from the 80's.
Harry

http://s60.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0SG45OF9TVV2024OVQD16GOHZ 0
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

smorgdonkey

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »

Wow...sounds really good!!
How much does a 'Great River' pre sell for and is it a particular model #?
Also...do you use an 'expander' to help with making the 'in-betweens' more 'quiet'?

wavdoctor

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2006, 01:04:29 PM »

smorgdonkey wrote on Tue, 24 January 2006 17:25

Wow...sounds really good!!
How much does a 'Great River' pre sell for and is it a particular model #?
Also...do you use an 'expander' to help with making the 'in-betweens' more 'quiet'?

Thanks,
this particular pre is the MP2nv two channel..around $2100.
they have a single unit also..for about half that..
But I have gotten similiar results with lesser pre's.
the nt2000 is an all around nice/versatile vocal mic.

No expander..I believe in the "less is more" theory..I did clean up the main vocal by comping and trimming.

HB
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »

I've rediscovered my Rodes lately.  I just had to take the time to listen to them a little more carfully and figure out where they work.  I almost always use an NT5 in conjunction with a 57 on snare drums.  I love the way the two mics compliment eachother.  I've also found suitable voice to use the NT1000 on, but I'm still "searching" with this one...
Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

smorgdonkey

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2006, 07:55:15 PM »

Ryan Leigh Patterson wrote on Tue, 24 January 2006 14:00

I've also found suitable voice to use the NT1000 on, but I'm still "searching" with this one...

Yeah...that's the one I use on just about everything...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.