R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rode Microphone Users  (Read 17287 times)

Phil

Re: Rode Microphone Users
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 05:36:49 PM »

hargerst wrote on Tue, 04 October 2005 08:18

I guess Klause feels that some products are inappropriate for his forum, whereas I am curious about everything, especially cheap stuff.  But then, that should come as no surprise, since I started out my new life in the recording industry as a "bottom-feeder".
Harvey, there's nothing wrong with being a bottom-feeder; some catfish can get to be very big indeed!

Interesting to read the comments about Klaus' forum, since I get the feeling that I have just shown up at a Porsche Rally in a Honda, when I go there (which is infrequently). I can understand the "high-end only" attitude from a business standpoint -- more income for the least effort -- but I can't help but want to see a little of the hotrod approach. That is, take something somewhat ordinary and turn it into something quite extraordinary -- like a sixty-something Camaro that boasts about 900 horsepower. Surely there must exist a bargain mic that, with a tweak here and there, can deliver a no-excuses pro performance.
Phil Nelson

Malcolm Boyce

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 09:57:31 PM »

Chad Sims wrote on Tue, 04 October 2005 17:46

Anybody still owning an NT1a should try it on bass cab.

I have a couple of NT1a... I will try that for sure.  I've had great luck with the NT1a on percussion instruments such as marimba and other mallet instruments, and also on some stringed acoustic instruments, and even grand piano.

The NT3 has become my new fav mic for hi-hats...  Works super in live settings as an all purpose condenser for things like banjo, dobro, fiddle, accordion, etc.  I need a few more of them.

I love my Rode mics. Look forward to more.  I think my next will be an NT1000... or two!

Cheers,
Malcolm

Frob

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 12:43:03 AM »

ive used my nt1a on bass cab, a 1x15 1x12 and a big ol' ampeg 8x10. just like it performs on every thing else, usable but lifeless. its not bad for the money but i would rather us about any other AT mic then the nt1a. the best way i can desribe it is if ansel adams, where to get his stuff developed at walmart. thats what the nt1a sounds like.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 09:04:13 AM »

Phil wrote on Tue, 04 October 2005 16:36

Interesting to read the comments about Klaus' forum, since I get the feeling that I have just shown up at a Porsche Rally in a Honda, when I go there (which is infrequently). I can understand the "high-end only" attitude from a business standpoint -- more income for the least effort -- but I can't help but want to see a little of the hotrod approach. That is, take something somewhat ordinary and turn it into something quite extraordinary -- like a sixty-something Camaro that boasts about 900 horsepower. Surely there must exist a bargain mic that, with a tweak here and there, can deliver a no-excuses pro performance.

There is, it is the Oktava MK-319 with the "plastic resonator" removed!!  I did this and truly believe that the mic is now amonst the best sounding LDCs!!!! Smile

Mark Gensman

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 04:14:39 AM »

I have an NT1 and it works well as a room mic for my studio drum kit and also works well on an upright bass.

It is too bright for most vocals, sax, micing a guitar amp, etc. but as a room mic for the drums it works quite well.

I frequently use an NT2 in the bluegrass world for bands that insist on using only one large diaphragm condenser on state and it works better than the AT 4033 that is a sort of standard for that use.
Mark G.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 04:16:31 AM »

Sorry, I said "on state" and I meant "on STAGE"..
Mark G.

Hallams

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005, 01:31:06 AM »

Another opinion from Melbourne... I have used the 1st mic rode put out in 95 or there about and didn't like it much.Next was the Classic and it was quite good.Once did a shootout with it and a U87 and a AT 404something ,the multi pattern one.I remember the classic being more forgiving than the AT with providing a consistant sound when moving a bit off mic The AT was a bit nuttier or not as hyped in the top ent.The U87 had the best breathy sound.
I now use the K2 , NTV and a pair of NT5's.Th K2 is great and does not have the rise in the top end that the NTV has. I dont own the Neuman pencil mics but do compare the NT5's with a pair of AKG 415's that i have.I find the nt5's useable but different to the 451's.The AKG's have a harder sound but more detailed.So i often go for the NT5's for drum OH for a softer sound. I also use them on the neck of a double bass with a ribbon on the body.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Soundog

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 01:37:50 AM »

I started with an NTK as my first condensor and thought it spitty and sibilant when new. Being totally new to the game, I put it aside for a number of months and tried a number of other cheap amd mid-range mics just to learn and compare.

When I came back to the NTK, I tried a number of different tubes in it just to see what affect it had but still thought it too sibilant. I ended up putting the original JAN phillips tube back in.

After upgrading other parts of my signal chain, I picked up the NTK after a couple of years and found it to be a wonderful mic. I am now using a top flight pre-amp and cables, and all traces of spitty sibilance have gone. I still think it's very bright, but it is also very smooth and natural sounding - and has low noise which is critical for a capella vocal detail.

Although it is not my current favourite, I've kept it and will not sell it because it gives me detailed and particularly rich male bass vocals.

By contrast, I don't like my K2 as much. I guess I like bright mics, but the K2 is too flat for my taste. It sounds like it has too much top end lopped off it, but in a shootout with my E47, I preferred the K2 ( for choral music ) which had more detail and resolution in the upper mid range.

I've noticed this with a couple of my mics - that after ageing them for a while ( over a year or two ), the sibilance seems to reduce noticeably and the mics sound better.

I'm pretty sure this is not my imagination because I have the recordings to listen to, but I am curious about the sonic physics of ageing capsules. I don't think it's dust either because I store my mics meticulously. Anyone else have an opinion on this ?

John de souza

Revolution

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 12:10:11 AM »

I've just put a Phillips SQ valve in my K2 and replaced the caps with better quality ones (panasonic and wimma).
Sounds very nice with more character than before.
Like it better than my U87 at the moment.

z

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2005, 01:36:14 PM »

Hi all! Just like to add my opinion having recently bought a Rode K2,

I must say I was disappointed at first as I was actually looking for an switchable omni tube with heaps of character for vocal, upright bass and kit overhead and for me it's too neutral.

I had been using a CMV563 bottle with M7 capsule via Gefell adapter at the studio I was working at and absolutely loved the super top end and excellent detail in the upper mids which worked wonders for room miking, overheads and vocals...Possibly the most sensational female vocal sound I've ever heard!
I did have problems with it's reliability and crackles and always needed to boost the bottom end or slightly reduce the sibilant frequencies occasionally and It was noisy but I still love those babies.

Last week I started recording an album for a well know singer with an awesomely dynamic voice with beautiful air and we both agreed that the K2 is the best sounding mic I have for her voice and she preferred it to the Manley Gold reference she'd be used to...which is really something...Very detailed, fantastic dynamic range due to non-existent self noise, smooth top without being nasty and just the right amount of mid and bottom needing only compression (I like the LA2A sound too for may voice, slowish attack and fast release) to sit perfectly in the mix of drums, noisy guitars, cello and upright bass.
Definitely beat the Neumann TLM 103 and Audio Technica 4050 in this particular use...we didn't even listen to more than a few words of them before deciding without any doubt on the K2.
We did like the Ribbon and decided to use it for it's darkness and bottom end later but never did...

I also used it on the upright bass player in combination with a Nady RSM-2 ribbon mic (actually it's a Thomann RB500 which is actually what the Nady is! but that's a whole other story) in omni about 1 foot away from the bridge and she and I both were floored by the sound of the K2 alone. It was sooooo good that she quickly booked me to record her solo bass album which she is doing for her masters in music (she is a pro orchestral and popular bass player here in Berlin).

The story does not end there...the k2 has now ousted my ribbons as my favourite drum overhead mic (I'm a self recording drummer who plays on almost everything I record too) and sounds monstrous on a bass cab! Sounds great on solo snare played with brushes and ok on acoustic guitar although I prefer fet mics for acoustic guitar for a little more attack and crispness.

The variable pattern is superb for recording slightly different sounds when multitracking voice too...I tend to prefer more of a figure 8 pattern for voice (2pm on the k2's dial).

What I really wanted/want was/Is a Wagner U47 (4,500 EURO!!)for it's special character (and I must admit prestige!)and the k2 is not that but what it is is a ridiculously quiet and superbly made piece of audio recording gear that has many uses and sounds exceptionally good most of the time and forgettably neutral the rest. I am loving loving not having to EQ anything recorded with it when mixing...it just works superbly full stop.

A bargain that my future child will probably cherish just like the PZMs and Akg D200S I got from my dad way back when..

Buy it and use it for a while in a real mix situation and I'm sure you won't be unhappy. After all, mics are for capturing the sound as efficiently as possible and the K2 does that with leaps and bounds...

simon

======================================
Bit of background. Been recording using my dad's gear first (from the age of 6 helped him setup his mics, plug-in his leads etc...He was a very good jazz and orchestral engineer who built his own gear in the 70's) and since 19 as professional engineer for both bands and film sound and since the age of 21 as self recording session and touring drummer having played on dozens of albums and film soundtracks. (now i'm 34).
Now live in Berlin, germany after re-locating from Australia 5 years ago and work daily as musician engineer with own mobile and home based studio with Creamware SCOPE DSP system KRK V8, KROK passive monitors, analog 2" and 24bit RME and computer MAC based gear. I have around 35 microphones including large and small diaphrgms and dynamics from my father's and my own 60 odd years of combined collecting from Sanken, AKG, Gefell, Neumann, Audio Technica, Shure, Beyer, obscure RFT East German stuff and 2 of the possibly first, original Rode Nt1s sold in Australia . Which look like pieces of rubbish but are very good for kick drum, snare and toms and acoustic guitar...yes really!

davidelkinsrice

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 07:02:48 PM »

David Wilson,

Would you mind giving some more detail of the changes that you made to your K2.  I'd like to add better components to my K2.  I just added a Amperex Tube and it has made a big difference.  Thanks for your help.  Would you recommend changing to better resistor as well.  I'm completely new to this idea of modifying a microphone.  I've read a bit about how Klaus Heyne has done so and made a living at it.  Thanks for any help.

David Rice

compasspnt

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2006, 07:53:52 PM »

Yes, please post your info on cap changes in K2.

smorgdonkey

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 11:22:03 PM »

I use a Rode NT1000 for just about everything. I love it but that's because it is the best mic I've ever used. I guess if maybe I had used a bunch of REALLY good ones then maybe I wouldn't like it so much but for now I am definitely not looking to upgrade it...too many other things that take priority over that and besides, I love the mic to be perfectly honest. I have an SM57, SM58, and an EV N/D 357B but those are all dynamic mics and when I am not needing to mic a cabinet then the Rode is the one being used.

Revolution

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 12:18:12 AM »

The tube I used was a Phillips EC 88CC special quality .From memory I think the resistors were all serface mount so left alone.
Took out the Hitano electrolitic caps and replaced with panasonic.There were two caps under the PCB that I replaced with Wimma polyprop (kept all values the same).
I don't have a stock K2 to test side by side but am enjoying using it a little more.It's a little hard to describe what I feel the difference is (probbly a little less bland).

wavdoctor

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 08:56:29 AM »

I use the nt2000 and have ran it beside my neuman without any complaints..very smooth on the top end. It does change depending on the pre amp also, currently running thru a GR mp2nv. I also have the nt5 stereo which I have used for OH's successfully, But could not get my acoustic to sit right? It was a rush job also to be fair.
HB
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.