R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rode Microphone Users  (Read 17289 times)

Revolution

Rode Microphone Users
« on: October 03, 2005, 02:49:40 AM »

Hi
I am curious to find feedback from anyone who has used Rode microphones and their opinions of them.

I myself own a K2 and Classic and find them to be very good although I once owned a NT1 which I thought sounded useless.

I have noticed Terry Mannings website has a good rave on them so was wondering what others had to say.

Jeff4h

Re: Rhode Microphone Users
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:15:12 AM »

I have a nt1 and I agree with you but Ive heard so much about the k2 I think Im going to try one   Jeff

Frob

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:11:06 PM »

i too own agree with the almost useless nt1, though i have the nt1a. it just sounds lifeless.

James Duncan

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 03:19:54 PM »

I had a NTK which I sold due to horrible fizziness/sibilance. I sold it. Also had an NT2 for a while which wasn't bad, but also a bit brittle. Used as a drum room mic occassionaly (omni). Sold that also.

I still have a pair of the NT5's, which see pretty limited use, but I will occassionally drag them out as a ride cymbal or a hat mic.

Their newer mics like the K2, the NT2A and the NT2000 are supposed to be much better however.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Revolution

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 06:17:54 PM »

Hmmmm
It seems this post has been relocated here from Klaus Heynes forum which to me appears like Microphone snobbery.

I would much rather an opinion from Klaus than just a removal so I guess maybe he just hasn,t either
1)tried the K2 or Classic
2)dosn't respect Terry Mannings opinion
3)or just hates these mics .

Explanation ??

If it matters I own a U87  Very Happy

David Wilson
-------------

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 06:43:52 PM »

I feel rather sick about the money I've wasted on Rode mics.....

I own an NT1000 and a pair of NT5s...both bought new (ouch!!)

Not the smartest thing I've ever wasted my money on....

They are better than alot of other cheap mics out there, but not really useable in the pro world.  The brittle top end and rather boring mid range are, well, brittle and boring.

My NT5s occasionally see use as talkback mics, additional snare mics, ride cymbal mics.... basically whenever I run out of my choice SDCs and LDCs.  My NT1000 sees occasionaly duty on background vocals,  floor tom, knee level kick, second kick, or distant room mic.

Wish I'd never bought them, wish I'd saved my money for a Coles 4038...

Oh well, I'll keep them cus they aint worth selling and I'll stick em where I'd never stick good mics, plus the NT5 case works well for my KM184s...

Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

Revolution

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 07:06:12 PM »

Thanx Ryan
Yes I remember trying a NT5 compared to a Neumann KM184 and thought the NT5 extremely disappointing (even for the price).

The Classic is very good though except for a spike in the top end which the K2 doesn't have (the K2 is a little boring though as you have suggested).
The Classic to me sounds great on a bass amp or outside a kick drum also had good results on acoustic guitar and room mic for drums and has out performed my U87 at these tasks.

David Wilson
-------------

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 07:21:45 PM »

I just read the Terry Manning bit on Rodes.  Given his stature, I'd be suprised to see him promoting a mic he didn't like....

Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

Revolution

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 10:15:30 PM »

Yes exactly what prompted me to ask the people on Klaus's Forum for their respected opinion.

David Wilson
--------------

Trumpetman2

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 08:01:22 AM »

Hmmm, seems like a bit of mic snobbery going on at the Klauss forum...don't particularly like the tone of that forum at all and am surprised that people use it at all.  As to Rodes mics, I have owned an NT1 and the much touted NTK...hated them both and sold them for half their price....glad to be rid of them! OKtava is a MUCH more usefull mic, particularly with some mods. Laughing

Tim Halligan

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 10:16:53 AM »

I haven't heard every Rode model...but I've hated every single one I have heard.

I want to support the local guy - even if he does come across like a used-car salesman - but the product sucks IMHO.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

hargerst

Re: Rode Microphone Users
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 11:18:47 AM »

I've only heard the NT1 - and didn't like it.  But, based on Terry's recommendation, I would certainly like to hear the K2.  

I guess Klause feels that some products are inappropriate for his forum, whereas I am curious about everything, especially cheap stuff.  But then, that should come as no surprise, since I started out my new life in the recording industry as a "bottom-feeder".
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Tomas Danko

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 01:45:14 PM »

I think the NT1 was never that good, but everything changed with their NT2. And from there it's just gotten better. I own something like twelve Rode mics or so, and I think the NT1000, NT2000, K2 and NT5 are amazing mics in their own right. It's something completely different than all the chinese mics cropping up everywhere.

I'd rather use the K2 than, say, a Neumann M147, most of the time.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Greg Youngman

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 03:36:16 PM »

The NT-4 stereo is the only Rode I own.  I've found it to be very useful on acoustic guitar, uke, vibraphone, orchestra bells and other percussion instruments.  But, the mic holder that comes with it is completely useless.  There is no tightening screw on it!  What were they thinkin'?
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Chad Sims

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 04:46:06 PM »

Anybody still owning an NT1a should try it on bass cab.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.