R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where Has All the Great Music Gone  (Read 6975 times)

William Boyle AKA Elfy

Where Has All the Great Music Gone
« on: October 01, 2005, 01:13:51 PM »

Hi All,
Can you guys point me in the direction of some exceptionally good
Albums in the genre of

Molly Hatchet
Allman Brothers
Pink Floyd
Led Zep
Scorpions
Pat Metheny
S.R.V
Come taste the Band (Deep Purple)

I mean where the hell have songs like
(Run to Paradise) Choir Boys
(More Than A Feeling) Boston
(Still Lovin You) Scorpions
(Goodbye To Romance) Rhandy Rhodes/Ozzy
(Whole Lotta Love) Led Zep
(Time) Pink Floyd
(Life Without You) S.R.V.
(Hold The Line) Toto
(Still In Love With) Thin Lizzy
GONE

Is it just me, or has this great stuff disappeared.
its either
1 million dollar pop shit or
Movie Soundtracks, that get the bucks spent on them.

For the guys that have been mastering everyday for the last gazillion years i would be so happy if you could list an album or two that first comes to mind that is awesome in every way.

Im not looking for shred just some damn good music with songs that make you feel alive and a solo that says something.

Please Help Restore my faith in modern music.

Thanks guys

TotalSonic

Re: Where Has All the Great Music Gone
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »

I have no idea what's currently of that caliber for the bands you listed as that kind of stuff while I enjoy mastering isn't what I usually go out of my way to listen to personally (even though my copy of Live At The Fillmore East on vinyl is pretty darn worn out - and I count as seeing Stevie Ray live in 1985 as one of my favorite shows of all time) - although for an all out rock'n'roll band got to say that Jonni & The Little Monsters here in NYC put on a truly amazing show.   I'm not sure if they are still together though cause when I went to their  website it was down.  
Just saw Apocalyptica (4 Finnish electric cellists and a drummer doing unbelievably tremendous instrumental versions of tunes by Metallica, themselves and others) at Irving Plaza and that was one of the best rock shows I've seen.

Anyway - here's some recent CD's that I feel are truly amazing artistically - you'll have to forgive me if most of them are heavy on the cellos:
Philip Glass w/ Yo-Yo Ma - Naqoyqatsi
Zoe Keating - Natoma
Rachel's - Systems/Layers
Maya Beiser - Worlds To Come
Mission Of Burma - On Off On
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Antibalas - Who Is This America?

So to me the idea that there isn't a lot of fantastic music being made currently is completely ludicrous - you just have to look in non-mainstream venues to find it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:52:11 PM »

Just wanted to add that every sub-genre kind of has a distinct time period where it is most vital - i.e. 30's-40's for big band swing, late 40's to early 50's for bebop, and obviously 70's for the type of "classic" rock you gave in your examples- and that usually once the initial definitive releases and momentum behind the sub-genre wears down then you just end up with pale imitations.  I think it was Picasso who said "the original is always beautiful - the copy is always ugly."  I can't say that I see things in that black & white of terms - but I do feel there is something to be said for that statement.

Best regards,
Steve  Berson

William Boyle AKA Elfy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 02:03:21 PM »

Im glad you said that Steve, cause ive been sticking to my old Cd's
Its just the mainstream music that kills me, and i love cello.
I wish i was you at the S.R.V
Gig.
Thanks Steve

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 03:38:57 PM »

All of that stuff was the very best of the best at a time when there was lots of live music in the same genres being played.

Where would the NFL be without high school and college football?

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 02:09:37 AM »

The last real Molly Hatchet release with all original members was a live recording discovered from some archives in 1998, that they did at the Agora Ballroom in Atlanta in 1979. Live at the Agora 1979 was the official name. First mastered by George Marino at Sterling in 1999, than remastered by me at Steve Hollands request, because it was hypercompressed and had the crowd applause cut off at -8dB, going in and out of songs and one or two sections where Danny Joe would announce the song and than the 2 second pause, than crowd noise and than the song would play. The Marino version was released on Phoenix, my version has yet to be released, but talk of it going on Riff West's label. I think there is some litigation going on. No one in the band was aware that they were recorded that night. The band known as Molly Hatchet these days have no original members. Pat Armstrong their ex-manager wound up owning the name. Typical band winds up with nothing and the manager takes it all scenario. Another live album was released on Riff West's label plus a DVD from a concert that was recorded at Club La Vela in Orlando, around the time that Live at the Agora was first released. With Armstrong owning the name, the band went under the name the Dixie Jam Band, for the Riff West cd and DVD, also the same intitials as Danny Joe Brown, as he was recuperating from a stroke. That concert was a tribute to Danny Joe, everyone was there except for Banner Thomas who dubbed his bass in later on a few songs. That's the last cd that you'll be hearing Molly with all original members on. Riff West played bass on some songs and did the live performance. Jimmy Farrar who took DJB's place in Molly after he formed Danny Joe Brown band with ex Bounty Hunter members when he solo'd from Molly for a couple of years, sang most of the songs and they brought Danny Joe up for the last couple, he sang sitting down. Pat Travers band, one of the openers is also on the video, as are the Southern Rock Allstars. Sad to say Danny Joe passed away earlier this year. The remaining original members (Lubeck) was playing in the Southern Rock Allstars, I heard he's just left them though and a new band that just made their debut performance last March at Universal Studios, called Gator Country. Everyone but Lubeck and DJB in the Gator Country band and a new guitarist took Lubecks place named Linny Disse. Jimmy Farrar's singing lead and Riff West is playing bass with Steve Holland and Duane Roland also on guitars, Bruce Crump back on drums. Southern Rock Allstars are a pretty good band. Jimmy Johnson one of the old Muscle Shoals swamper's son Jay, is still playing with them. Unfortunately Jacky Spires who also played with Molly and Skynyrd for awhile died not long after Danny Joe, he was also playing with the Allstars at the time.  

Allman Brothers last album, IIRC was Hitting The Note. This came out after Dickey left the band and was replaced by Derek Trucks who can sound like a reincarnation of Duane at times, when he's playing slide. They actually sound closer to some of the original Bros. tunes than some of the later lineups. The Bros are touring as we speak. Dickey reformed The Great Southern Band with one time Brothers guitarist Dan Toler, but after some gigs where Dickey was too fried to play, they split up. That was just a couple of months ago. I recently heard that Dickey was on the wagon and his son and son-in-law playing with him now and word is that they are stellar sounding. Glad to hear that he's come back to Earth.  

Led Zep, not much with John Paul Jones from what I've heard, Page and Plant did a duo and some solo things and they had Jason Bonham touring with them the last time that they were billed as Zep. Page went on to play with the Black Crowes for awhile after a short stint with The Firm and Jason Bonham did a Zep tribute tour, awhile back. That band was really good, singer could hit every note that Plant could on a good night and than some.

Deep Purple's latest good one, IMHO, was a remaster of Machine Head. A bonus cd of some modern remixes of old songs, by bassist Roger Glover comes with that set. It's worth checking out.

I haven't heard much from the Scorpions or Floyd except I seem to remember Andy Jackson saying that Floyd regrouped to play some kind of benefit show that he ran sound for. Pat Methaney I seem to remember just released a new cd and is currently touring. They've probably already released most of the SRV stuff, as they always do when the labels capitalize on an artists death and flood the market with out takes. Any SRV album with Double Trouble on it that was released before his death is good and the Family Style album that he recorded with his brother Jimmy, IIRC was the last SRV recordings. I think it may have been released right after he died.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Ged Leitch

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 11:11:58 AM »

although its just my opinion i'd say it's getting harder to find great music now than it was a decade ago.
the radio spits out the same old stuff day in day out, unless it's a good station your listening to.
popular trends seem to be the "solo singer/songwriter" over here in the u.k at the moment.It's so contrived, especially when i know of numerous bands that just dont get the exposure they deserve.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

bblackwood

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 12:03:08 PM »

Gerald Leitch wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 10:11

although its just my opinion i'd say it's getting harder to find great music now than it was a decade ago.

I've wondered about this myself coming up with the following thoughts:
1] Is there really less good music or have we simply had less time for the music to become part of our lives? Or are we simply past our 'musically formative years'?
2] Is there really less good music or is it tougher to find as there is simply far more music out there to choose from? Is it harder to find good music because it's not there or because it's more spread out - we don't just find music on the radio anymore...

I don't have the answers, just stuff I've been thinking about. There's so e great music out there, but little of it is on your local rawk station...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 12:58:28 PM »

I've been thinking about it for ten years. The answer is in the live music listings found in every local paper. Way way fewer people are earning their living from playing music full time.

This means fewer people are developing entertainment skills, fewer young people are being exposed to the experience of live music as fans and even fewer are being motivated to take up music as a profession. This is compounded by far fewer performance opportunities for those who do take it up.

davidc

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 01:11:49 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 17:58

I've been thinking about it for ten years. The answer is in the live music listings found in every local paper. Way way fewer people are earning their living from playing music full time.

This means fewer people are developing entertainment skills, fewer young people are being exposed to the experience of live music as fans and even fewer are being motivated to take up music as a profession. This is compounded by far fewer performance opportunities for those who do take it up.

Yeah, everybody is sitting in front of computers, and even the people who make music do it infront of a computer  Smile

Terry Demol

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 01:22:08 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 17:03

1] Is there really less good music or have we simply had less time for the music to become part of our lives? Or are we simply past our 'musically formative years'?

Good question.

The other day I had some Led Zep cranked up in the workshop and
was really getting into it...

my 13yo son said "that music sounds weird dad"

I looked at him in disbelief Smile

Cheers,

Terry

davidc

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 01:36:15 PM »

Terry Demol wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 18:22

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 17:03

Good question.

The other day I had some Led Zep cranked up in the workshop and
was really getting into it...

my 13yo son said "that music sounds weird dad"

I looked at him in disbelief Smile

Cheers,

Terry

Very interesting Terry!

I have to admit, that a lot of stuff that I hear kids listening to just does not sound musically interesting to me. Although as a teenager, I thought that the music my parests listened to was uncool, I could still appreciate some of it musically. They also liked a lot of the music I listened to

William Boyle AKA Elfy

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 02:33:58 PM »

Thanks for your replies guys.
Good points buy all
Ronny i bow down to you. The Molly Hatchet Remastering. Also thanks
for your input.

Still not too many albums being mentioned in proportion to the responses.

The ability to get away with lipsinking and miming is killing the live performances. Id much rather listen to and watch a not so actractive person give there best on stage, than some wannabe
glorified hooker/prettyboy.
Rememder the bands thast were acutally better live than in the studio.

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 02:53:38 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 11:03

... are we simply past our 'musically formative years'?

I bet there's music that we all like to listen to when we're not working, that's somewhat shaped by our tastes from our 'musically formative years' as Brad said.

When I listen to music that makes me smile in the studio, it's probably one of these:

The Beatles
Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
Cream
Jeff Beck
Led Zep
Pink Floyd
Santana
Stevie Wonder
Sly Stone
James Brown
Johnny Cash
George Jones
Merle Haggard
Stevie or Jimmie Vaughan
B.B. King
Allman Bros.
Miles Davis
Bill Evans
Wes Montgomery
Mozart
Beethoven
Claude Debussy
Edgar Varese
Bernard Herrmann
and of course... Steely Dan !

If I've got it on High Resolution disc or Vinyl... all the better !!!

(The list is actually much longer, I'm sure I left a few off by accident.)

and the '50s Greats: Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, etc...
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

William Boyle AKA Elfy

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 03:03:46 PM »

I like your taste Jerry.

davidc

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 04:31:12 PM »

A few of my favourites

Joni Mitchell - Blue
Cat Stevens - Teaser & the Firecat
Cat Stevens  - Tea for the Tillerman
George Benson - In Flight
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
Frank Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours
Frank Sinatra - At the Sands
Queen - A day at the Races
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Janis Ian - Between The Lines

bobkatz

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 05:55:59 PM »

jerry tubb wrote

I bet there's music that we all like to listen to when we're not working, that's somewhat shaped by our tastes from our 'musically formative years' as Brad said.

When I listen to music that makes me smile in the studio, it's probably one of these:

Yeah, man!

I looked at the list of "group-rock" posted in the initial post and tried to think of anything like that that I like currently and I've gone dumb.

But in "alternative", blues rock, etc. I've personally mastered a very goodly number of wonderful groups on indie or self-produced labels that I absolutely love. But you won't find them "on the radar", wherever that is.

Back to the band sound, of the current crop, I do like Green Day as a band, they've got nice stuff going, ironically, but I can't listen to the stuff on record...  

Same for Alanis... appeals to me musically.

What about Bonnie Raitt; sometimes has great sound, too!

But if you  the "gotta be a band thing like Marshall Tucker or Allmans or whatever" and into the "any good music" thing, then please add for me:

Peter Gabriel
Sting (overcompressed but good music)
Lyle Lovett
Laurie Anderson
Nick Drake
Rolling Stones
Leonard Cohen
Johnny Cash (sometimes even good sound)
Charlie Haden

and on and on and on...

and lots of one-time individual faves of which I only have one record per artist that would be worn out if it had grooves.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

jackthebear

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 07:05:13 PM »

Good music is out there. You just have to find it. It's harder because there is so much more of it but we also have the internet to help us search for it as well.

Like Howard Stern said (and I only paraphrase)....digital radio is the way of the future.

The past is the past. Yeah it's great and all and I (like y'all) love to blast my old 70's classics and landmark albums but I get excited by what's out there and if we are going to do well at this we need to be *reasonably* conversant with what's going on TODAY.

My clients are usually on the younger end of the scale, so it pays to be hip to what's relevant in their world, which by default becomes mine as well.

A new kind of "good" is happening. Get into it.

Cheers,

Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

timrob

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 07:54:14 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 18:05

Good music is out there. You just have to find it. It's harder because there is so much more of it but we also have the internet to help us search for it as well.

Like Howard Stern said (and I only paraphrase)....digital radio is the way of the future.

The past is the past. Yeah it's great and all and I (like y'all) love to blast my old 70's classics and landmark albums but I get excited by what's out there and if we are going to do well at this we need to be *reasonably* conversant with what's going on TODAY.

My clients are usually on the younger end of the scale, so it pays to be hip to what's relevant in their world, which by default becomes mine as well.

A new kind of "good" is happening. Get into it.

Cheers,

Hey jackthebear,
I just saw John Butler Trio. I guess he's from your neck of the woods. Anyway, He's got a great band and is making some pretty darn good music. I hear he's also doing very well in Aussie land.
I like to see independent artists prosper.

Best
Tim Roberts
Waterknot Music
Nashville

---------------------------
Ours is not to understand.
Ours is just to record the band.
-Unknown

Ronny

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 11:11:24 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 17:55

jerry tubb wrote

Yeah, man!

I looked at the list of "group-rock" posted in the initial post and tried to think of anything like that that I like currently and I've gone dumb.

But in "alternative", blues rock, etc. I've personally mastered a very goodly number of wonderful groups on indie or self-produced labels that I absolutely love. But you won't find them "on the radar", wherever that is.

Back to the band sound, of the current crop, I do like Green Day as a band, they've got nice stuff going, ironically, but I can't listen to the stuff on record...  

Same for Alanis... appeals to me musically.

What about Bonnie Raitt; sometimes has great sound, too!

But if you  the "gotta be a band thing like Marshall Tucker or Allmans or whatever" and into the "any good music" thing, then please add for me:

Peter Gabriel
Sting (overcompressed but good music)
Lyle Lovett
Laurie Anderson
Nick Drake
Rolling Stones
Leonard Cohen
Johnny Cash (sometimes even good sound)
Charlie Haden

and on and on and on...

and lots of one-time individual faves of which I only have one record per artist that would be worn out if it had grooves.

I saw Tucker Friday night at the Octoberfest in Savannah. Doug Gray's voice was shot. Band sounded good after they started warming up about the 4th song, mix was terrible. Not the sound crews fault, looked like they were playing through a permanent  outdoor PA Array that some city council member had installed without consulting any acousticians or SR engineers. 8 12" speakers on each side, mounted about 40 feet above the stage and way too far above the crowd. No horns, no 15's or 18's, just the 12's. Reminded me of myself in 1967 when I bought 4 of those Kustom roll and pleated 4 12" columns and stuck two on each side. Thought I had the PA from hell. This was before anyone though of using monitors.  

Jerry, I love Bonnie Raitt. I've been listening to some lesser knowns lately.

Robert Randolph. Black blues cat that plays the lap and pedal steels. Great player, love to hear blues riffs on the steel, it ain't all for country, but he's gotten to be fairly well known recently, though, so he's not really a lesser know now, methinks.

Keller Williams. Keller is the primo one man band. He plays guitar, bass, drums, piano couple of other instruments and does the Lester Polfus thing where he records the rhythm, than adds the bass, keys, lead guitar, percs, whatever. Excellent musician and scat singer. His recent DVD was well done too. Great camera angles and soundtrack superb.

Walter Trout. Last but not least, this cat is one smokin' geetar picker. Walter Trout - Live at the Tampa Blues Festival, check this one out if you want to hear where blues rock has progressed to in this millenium, by a cat that grew up on Allman, Betts, Beck, Hendrix, Clapton and Page. If you don't like this one JT, I'll refund your money and you can give the cd to your ex-wife.  Laughing  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------