R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where Has All the Great Music Gone  (Read 6963 times)

William Boyle AKA Elfy

Where Has All the Great Music Gone
« on: October 01, 2005, 01:13:51 PM »

Hi All,
Can you guys point me in the direction of some exceptionally good
Albums in the genre of

Molly Hatchet
Allman Brothers
Pink Floyd
Led Zep
Scorpions
Pat Metheny
S.R.V
Come taste the Band (Deep Purple)

I mean where the hell have songs like
(Run to Paradise) Choir Boys
(More Than A Feeling) Boston
(Still Lovin You) Scorpions
(Goodbye To Romance) Rhandy Rhodes/Ozzy
(Whole Lotta Love) Led Zep
(Time) Pink Floyd
(Life Without You) S.R.V.
(Hold The Line) Toto
(Still In Love With) Thin Lizzy
GONE

Is it just me, or has this great stuff disappeared.
its either
1 million dollar pop shit or
Movie Soundtracks, that get the bucks spent on them.

For the guys that have been mastering everyday for the last gazillion years i would be so happy if you could list an album or two that first comes to mind that is awesome in every way.

Im not looking for shred just some damn good music with songs that make you feel alive and a solo that says something.

Please Help Restore my faith in modern music.

Thanks guys

TotalSonic

Re: Where Has All the Great Music Gone
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »

I have no idea what's currently of that caliber for the bands you listed as that kind of stuff while I enjoy mastering isn't what I usually go out of my way to listen to personally (even though my copy of Live At The Fillmore East on vinyl is pretty darn worn out - and I count as seeing Stevie Ray live in 1985 as one of my favorite shows of all time) - although for an all out rock'n'roll band got to say that Jonni & The Little Monsters here in NYC put on a truly amazing show.   I'm not sure if they are still together though cause when I went to their  website it was down.  
Just saw Apocalyptica (4 Finnish electric cellists and a drummer doing unbelievably tremendous instrumental versions of tunes by Metallica, themselves and others) at Irving Plaza and that was one of the best rock shows I've seen.

Anyway - here's some recent CD's that I feel are truly amazing artistically - you'll have to forgive me if most of them are heavy on the cellos:
Philip Glass w/ Yo-Yo Ma - Naqoyqatsi
Zoe Keating - Natoma
Rachel's - Systems/Layers
Maya Beiser - Worlds To Come
Mission Of Burma - On Off On
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Antibalas - Who Is This America?

So to me the idea that there isn't a lot of fantastic music being made currently is completely ludicrous - you just have to look in non-mainstream venues to find it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:52:11 PM »

Just wanted to add that every sub-genre kind of has a distinct time period where it is most vital - i.e. 30's-40's for big band swing, late 40's to early 50's for bebop, and obviously 70's for the type of "classic" rock you gave in your examples- and that usually once the initial definitive releases and momentum behind the sub-genre wears down then you just end up with pale imitations.  I think it was Picasso who said "the original is always beautiful - the copy is always ugly."  I can't say that I see things in that black & white of terms - but I do feel there is something to be said for that statement.

Best regards,
Steve  Berson

William Boyle AKA Elfy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 02:03:21 PM »

Im glad you said that Steve, cause ive been sticking to my old Cd's
Its just the mainstream music that kills me, and i love cello.
I wish i was you at the S.R.V
Gig.
Thanks Steve

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 03:38:57 PM »

All of that stuff was the very best of the best at a time when there was lots of live music in the same genres being played.

Where would the NFL be without high school and college football?

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 02:09:37 AM »

The last real Molly Hatchet release with all original members was a live recording discovered from some archives in 1998, that they did at the Agora Ballroom in Atlanta in 1979. Live at the Agora 1979 was the official name. First mastered by George Marino at Sterling in 1999, than remastered by me at Steve Hollands request, because it was hypercompressed and had the crowd applause cut off at -8dB, going in and out of songs and one or two sections where Danny Joe would announce the song and than the 2 second pause, than crowd noise and than the song would play. The Marino version was released on Phoenix, my version has yet to be released, but talk of it going on Riff West's label. I think there is some litigation going on. No one in the band was aware that they were recorded that night. The band known as Molly Hatchet these days have no original members. Pat Armstrong their ex-manager wound up owning the name. Typical band winds up with nothing and the manager takes it all scenario. Another live album was released on Riff West's label plus a DVD from a concert that was recorded at Club La Vela in Orlando, around the time that Live at the Agora was first released. With Armstrong owning the name, the band went under the name the Dixie Jam Band, for the Riff West cd and DVD, also the same intitials as Danny Joe Brown, as he was recuperating from a stroke. That concert was a tribute to Danny Joe, everyone was there except for Banner Thomas who dubbed his bass in later on a few songs. That's the last cd that you'll be hearing Molly with all original members on. Riff West played bass on some songs and did the live performance. Jimmy Farrar who took DJB's place in Molly after he formed Danny Joe Brown band with ex Bounty Hunter members when he solo'd from Molly for a couple of years, sang most of the songs and they brought Danny Joe up for the last couple, he sang sitting down. Pat Travers band, one of the openers is also on the video, as are the Southern Rock Allstars. Sad to say Danny Joe passed away earlier this year. The remaining original members (Lubeck) was playing in the Southern Rock Allstars, I heard he's just left them though and a new band that just made their debut performance last March at Universal Studios, called Gator Country. Everyone but Lubeck and DJB in the Gator Country band and a new guitarist took Lubecks place named Linny Disse. Jimmy Farrar's singing lead and Riff West is playing bass with Steve Holland and Duane Roland also on guitars, Bruce Crump back on drums. Southern Rock Allstars are a pretty good band. Jimmy Johnson one of the old Muscle Shoals swamper's son Jay, is still playing with them. Unfortunately Jacky Spires who also played with Molly and Skynyrd for awhile died not long after Danny Joe, he was also playing with the Allstars at the time.  

Allman Brothers last album, IIRC was Hitting The Note. This came out after Dickey left the band and was replaced by Derek Trucks who can sound like a reincarnation of Duane at times, when he's playing slide. They actually sound closer to some of the original Bros. tunes than some of the later lineups. The Bros are touring as we speak. Dickey reformed The Great Southern Band with one time Brothers guitarist Dan Toler, but after some gigs where Dickey was too fried to play, they split up. That was just a couple of months ago. I recently heard that Dickey was on the wagon and his son and son-in-law playing with him now and word is that they are stellar sounding. Glad to hear that he's come back to Earth.  

Led Zep, not much with John Paul Jones from what I've heard, Page and Plant did a duo and some solo things and they had Jason Bonham touring with them the last time that they were billed as Zep. Page went on to play with the Black Crowes for awhile after a short stint with The Firm and Jason Bonham did a Zep tribute tour, awhile back. That band was really good, singer could hit every note that Plant could on a good night and than some.

Deep Purple's latest good one, IMHO, was a remaster of Machine Head. A bonus cd of some modern remixes of old songs, by bassist Roger Glover comes with that set. It's worth checking out.

I haven't heard much from the Scorpions or Floyd except I seem to remember Andy Jackson saying that Floyd regrouped to play some kind of benefit show that he ran sound for. Pat Methaney I seem to remember just released a new cd and is currently touring. They've probably already released most of the SRV stuff, as they always do when the labels capitalize on an artists death and flood the market with out takes. Any SRV album with Double Trouble on it that was released before his death is good and the Family Style album that he recorded with his brother Jimmy, IIRC was the last SRV recordings. I think it may have been released right after he died.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------