R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Is -0.0 DB too high for digital levels?  (Read 12118 times)

Ryan Leigh Patterson

Re: Is -0.0 DB too high for digital levels?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 07:39:59 PM »

I'm pretty sure "the next" medium is already here....its called an iPod (etc).  The trick is getting people to pay for the music.

People buy lots of DVDs though, with their DVD players connected to "home theater" systems ... which probably sound better than "ghettoblasters" from the 80s and "mini component" systems from the 90s.  

Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

blueboy

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 10:29:53 PM »

I'm starting to think that the kind of emotions and experiences that most of us got from listening to music as we were growing up is being replaced today by the "video game" experience.

Kids seem to get more nostalgic about when a particular version of Doom or Quake came out, than when a particular song came out. A lot of the music today is starting to sound like a video game soundtrack....

I think it is all really just a reflection of people's lifestyles though. How many people actually have time to sit down and really listen to music these days? If everybody only listens to music "on the go", and they want the convenience of downloading, there isn't much point anymore in Hi-Fi sound.

I just hope that all my favourite albums are released on SACD or DVD Audio before all hi-resolution formats die.

There is one really good thing about the iPod/iTunes revolution, and that is now you're not forced to buy the whole album if the rest of it is crap.

Maybe, artists will have to start writing better songs to be more competitive.

Not having record companies "pay to play" might help a bit too.

My guess though is that the next "Nirvana" type reaction is just around the corner, and that might shake the current state of music up a little.

JL
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

bobkatz

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 10:47:03 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 19:48

Though I generally don't care for hyper-limited music, it is cool for some projects, imo. The point it, we're still talking about art, and to place some sort of limitation based on your (or anyone else's) subjective idea of what art should or shouldn't sound like is simply wrong.

It's akin to telling someone that they can't use too much red in a painting.

It sounds like you're getting the sound confused with the average level. One has nothing to do with the other. If you normalize to the peak, that's the problem.

Hey, I'm a card-carrying member of the ACLU so I'm totally with you. Freedom of choice and I'm definitely NOT trying to legislate against that.

CHANGING SOMEONE'S "SOUND" IS N---O---T WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT. WHAT WE WANT IS:

1) YES, you can "smash it" as much as you want. Get your sound, man, that's very important.

2) All that dialnorm does is set the listener's volume control so he can put one CD in after another and not go jumping. It "levels" the playing field.  In CD changers, for example.

For example, you know as well as I do that the output level control of the L2 does not affect the sound per se....  so limit or clip or smash it as much as you want, but don't make it so that "the other guy's better-sounding (subjective) CD has to be lowered to your lowest-common denominator because it's 6 dB softer".

Discussing the practical implementations of Dialnorm and whether it can even be practically implemented is a whole nother question. But all I'm talking about is  how it works is another and that's all I'm discussing here.

Yeah, you lose the surprise when Red Hot Chili Peppers blows your tweeters after you have your volume control set for a softer group, but that's a small thing to lose. And RHCP's SOUND is MAINTAINED with dialnorm.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bblackwood

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 11:17:43 PM »

I'm confusing nothing, Bob - it's the artist's right to have it as loud, obnoxious, distorted - whatever they want. Dialnorm is simply an idea to try to get people to stop doing something you dislike, plain and simple...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Chris Cavell

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 11:34:25 PM »

I'm not so sure...the dialnorm process as described here sounds like simply recalibrating the end user's DAC to a new ref level...seems OK unless someone out there relies on the lack of headroom in consumer grade DAC's to get their sound...

TotalSonic

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 11:34:41 PM »

One client came in for an attended session I did and specifically stated that he loved the sound of Californiacation  and would love to get that same sound for his own band's CD.  So I smashed the living day lights out of it (although certainly not as badly as a lot of cuts are smashed these days) and the band and label loved the ref.  Hate to break the news - but some people actually LIKE the sound of hyper limiting.  I try and educate clients regarding the disadvantages of "competitive" levels - but if they are specifically asked for then I'll do my best to get to that place with the least amount of artifacts possible.

To me limiters in the hands of the consumer only leads to even more potential for  damage of average playback fidelity - although I can certainly see the market for them could be made if they were packaged well.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Revolution

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 11:51:14 PM »

I can remember when I started out playing in bands and not knowing anything about audio quality except how loud my marshall could go that to me a professional sound was what I heard on the radio.
Therefore that squashed radio sound was the way to go.
Know I know better but I can't see things changing
until a new format comes out where O db isn't the loudest level.
Infact we may not have seen the worst yet.

David Wilson
--------------

dcollins

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 12:45:03 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 20:17

I'm confusing nothing, Bob - it's the artist's right to have it as loud, obnoxious, distorted - whatever they want. Dialnorm is simply an idea to try to get people to stop doing something you dislike, plain and simple...

We are nearing the decade mark on this topic.

Next someone will suggest a band could "cheat" the dialnorm to be louder!  

Perhaps a special prosecutor is needed.....but who?

DC

Ronny

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 03:16:04 AM »

dcollins wrote on Tue, 04 October 2005 00:45

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 20:17

We are nearing the decade mark on this topic.

Next someone will suggest a band could "cheat" the dialnorm to be louder!  

Perhaps a special prosecutor is needed.....but who?

DC

How many prosecutors are there with sound minds?

It hasn't been two years since the city council members of New York proposed to save money by not providing police with db meters.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------