R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AES Master Classes by R/E/P moderators  (Read 2175 times)

bblackwood

AES Master Classes by R/E/P moderators
« on: September 22, 2005, 11:58:08 AM »

http://www.aes.org/events/119/press/pr_masterclasses.cfm

R/E/P moderators Terry Manning, John Klett and Oliver Archut will be giving "master classes" at this years AES Convention.

If you're going to attend the lectures, these will be excellent lectures to mark down on your calendar.

119TH AES CONVENTION INTRODUCES STUDIO MASTER SERIES

Leading Engineer’s Archut, Clearmountain, Klett, Manning and Sax Host
Studio Engineer “Grad School”

NEW YORK: Building on its tradition of continually adding relevant real-world learning options for attendees, the AES Executive Committee will introduce The Studio Master Series at the 119th Convention. Led by five internationally recognized engineers, these elite classes are intended for individuals already active at the intermediate or advanced levels of each discipline covered. Experts in mixing, mastering, studio maintenance, vintage gear and classic recording, will probe beneath the surface for genuine insights and revelations Set for Oct. 7-10 in NY’s Javits Center, the Convention will host 400+ exhibitors and anticipates 20,000 attendees.

“Inaugurating the Studio Master Series simultaneously rewards the attendees and honors the preeminent engineer’s sharing their experience,” said AES Executive Director Roger Furness. “Their expertise represents an invaluable reserve of knowledge which may be of great use to attendees.”

Saturday, October 8

11:00AM -12:30PM: M1 Terry Manning: Classic Recording Techniques from Albert King to ZZ Top - Manning, an engineer, musician, producer and writer, has tracked and mixed seminal recordings for Isaac Hayes, Led Zeppelin and many other classic artists. He will share his personal arsenal of recording techniques from both a technical and musical perspective.

Sunday, October 9

10:00AM -11:30PM: M3 Oliver Archut: Vintage Gear Insider – Lured by pro audio’s siren song at age 12, by the time he was 21 Oliver Archut was employed by AEG Telefunken Daimler Benz. Responsible for preserving schematics and invaluable manufacturing details as the company moved away from analog design, he worked with a generation of master audio engineers. Archut will discuss the myths and realities of vintage recording equipment and present a case study of the classic M49 microphone and the V72 pre-amp custom designed for it.

12:00PM - 1:30PM: M4 John Klett: The Art of Studio Maintenance - An in-the-trenches master studio tech currently at the helm of Tech Mecca, Klett offers tips learned the hard way about power, wiring, interconnects, trouble-shooting, modifications and upgrades. Geared to professional studio techs and engineers building and maintaining their own project studios, this session includes demos and audience Q&A.

Others hosting AES Master Classes include Doug Sax and Bob Clearmountain.

Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bobkatz

Re: AES Master Classes by R/E/P moderators
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 12:18:43 PM »

Great show, Brad! See you there.

Bob
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

David Glasser

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 12:38:57 PM »

And don't miss this one either:

Sunday, October 9, 12:00 pm ? 1:30 pm

Platinum Mastering - Award-Winning Mastering

Moderator:
Bob Ludwig
Panelists:
David Glasser, Airshow Mastering - Boulder, CO, USA
Gavin Lurssen, The Mastering Lab - Hollywood, CA, USA
Joe Palmaccio, Sony Music Studios - New York City, NY, USA
Mark Wilder, Sony Music Studios - New York City, NY, USA

Abstract:
The purpose of mastering, the final creative step in the making of a commercial recording, is to bring fourth all the musicality that is inherent in the given source. Mastering is most successful when the experienced engineer's analytical left brain no longer needs conscious attention and the talented, holistic, right brain process can take over and yield a great sound the producer and artists sometimes never even imagined.

This year's mastering panelists are all Grammy Award-winning engineers. Each person will describe the mastering sessions for their particular Grammy winning projects. This will give the audience a more clear understanding of the contribution the mastering engineer makes to the music you buy. Our emphasis will be on historical recordings but we will also talk about what it takes to win the "Album of the Year" award which will include surround sound. Audience questions will be welcomed.
David Glasser
Airshow Mastering
Boulder, CO

dave@airshowmastering.com
www.airshowmastering.com

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 12:45:25 PM »

Indeed, it's rather stunning the amount of incredibly talented engineers we have hanging here at R/E/P. Very humbling...

Looking forward to seeing you guys there.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Kevinc

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 01:14:23 PM »

If I go to AES I`m definately going to check out Olivers class.

Between him and Klaus I`ve allready learned way too much (for a non techie like me) about Telefunken and Neumann.

They make it easy to grasp this stuff for some reason.
- Kev

Wook

Another Master Class!!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 12:56:17 PM »

Dear Colleagues,

I'd like to introduce another master class at this AES.
I've moved from Seoul Korea to Los Angeles, and started to work with Doug at Mastering Lab. He will make a 1 and half hour speech on one of the master classes.

We've prepared what he is going to say on it, so I definitely would like to urge you to participate that class. He will speak on "Levels and Dynamics". He will bring various kinds of materials to play, a couple of which will amuse you a lot.
I am not allowed to speak on details of it, but what I could say is that for this speech, Doug spent quite amount of his money as well as his time, and his speech will be "the thing" of this AES IMHO.

I hope you guys have a nice time during AES.

Wook.

bblackwood

Re: Another Master Class!!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 02:45:17 PM »

Looking forward to seeing you guys there...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 10:39:44 AM »

Doug's session at AES was characterized by elegance, grace, and class.  He was quite funny too.  He played some beautiful stuff and gave some fascinating comparisons and insights.  It was great to see a name most of us have only read about proove to be an insipring human being.  
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

bobkatz

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 03:11:24 PM »

AlanS wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 10:39

Doug's session at AES was characterized by elegance, grace, and class.  He was quite funny too.  He played some beautiful stuff and gave some fascinating comparisons and insights.  It was great to see a name most of us have only read about proove to be an insipring human being.  

Ditto!
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.