R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: usefulness of the Crane song HEDD  (Read 13202 times)

Yiannis

Re: usefulness of the Crane song HEDD
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2005, 05:43:50 AM »

I thing that the HEDD is program depended right?

So how can we talk about settings like 2 or 3 or 5?

if you put a low signal you need more but if you drive it hot you need less.

am I missing something?

bblackwood

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2005, 09:31:07 AM »

Yiannis wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 04:43

I thing that the HEDD is program depended right?

So how can we talk about settings like 2 or 3 or 5?

if you put a low signal you need more but if you drive it hot you need less.

am I missing something?

In my case, I generally work at a similar operating level for every project.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jim Williams

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2005, 10:56:05 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 09:52

Jim Williams wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 10:34

So, mastering guys, is this why these new releases are un-listenable? To me, records have never sounded worse. And I've been doing this since the 60's.

Right, it's the gear's fault...

The HEDD's a great piece of gear, period.

No it's the fault of the operators.

Converters don't kill music, the people that use the converters kill music.

What's most interesting is that so many will defend the current techniques of slaughtering music. Then you mastering folks will make up all kinds of excuses for releasing unlistenable crap.

Face it, you are part of the problem.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

jackthebear

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2005, 11:13:44 AM »

Jim Williams wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 00:56

What's most interesting is that so many will defend the current techniques of slaughtering music. Then you mastering folks will make up all kinds of excuses for releasing unlistenable crap.

Jim,

There isn't defence for the "slaughtering" of music.....but rather a defence of the rights of clients to have it the way they want.

If you have read this thread carefully I don't believe anyone here is DEFAULTING to stoopid loud.

We serve our clients needs and will try to "educate" them but when the client ASKS for more.....we oblige them as best as we can.

So how is this a problem?
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Bob Boyd

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2005, 11:17:58 AM »

Jim Williams wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 09:56

So, mastering guys, is this why these new releases are un-listenable? To me, records have never sounded worse. And I've been doing this since the 60's.

If you'd like to address particular individuals on specific projects, that's one thing.  It sure would hold a lot more water than you making a bunch of noise just because you think we're ALL guilty of something.  Making a statement like this on a thread about the Crane Song HEDD unit shows just how uninformed your comment is.

If you hang around for a while, you'll see that there is great concern about certain aspects of where we are musically.

I have a good feeling that you might actually be able to contribute far more to this forum than you are right now.

Call people out if you need to, but if you're going to be general, try being constructive.  You'll get a lot further.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

TotalSonic

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2005, 11:21:54 AM »

Jim Williams wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 15:56

Amount of times ever that a client has asked me to decrease the average level on their master after hearing their first ref:  one

Charge for studio time to revise said master so that it was "quieter" on second ref:
$0.00

Look on Steve's face when given request noted above:  Very Happy

Amount of times that a client has asked me to INCREASE the average level on their master after hearing their first ref:  lost count

Look on Steve's face when given this request noted directly above: Confused

Quote:

Jim - Face it, you are trolling here.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

jackthebear

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2005, 11:29:18 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Sat, 08 October 2005 01:21

[

Look on face of Steve's client's face after Steve accommodates request
Smile

Look on Steve's face after happy client leaves and returns and refers other clients
Cool
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Bob Boyd

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2005, 11:37:40 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 08:31

In my case, I generally work at a similar operating level for every project.

Using the HEDD unit with pretty much the same setting is a really interesting comment to me.  For me, I'm all over those settings.  Of course, the way you use the unit is up to the operator.  No 2 people drive the same either.  

The first time I saw the HEDD was in 2001.  I sat in and watched Glenn Meadows (then at Masterphonics) master a single and he had one.  He didn't touch the settings while working on the song.  I guess different people are looking for it to do different things.

I think it's capable of bringing a lot to the table and I've learned not to underestimate it - or overdo it.  Because it affects things both in color and dynamics, it's often my starting point before anything else.  I've found that some blander material might benefit from a fair amount of it's processing.  Some material, especially some songs that have had heavy Phoenix processing during mixing, can't take much (or any) of the Tape function.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

TotalSonic

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2005, 11:45:14 AM »

jackthebear wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 16:29

[

Smile

Look on Steve's face after happy client leaves and returns and refers other clients
Cool

Yeah - that too!  Honestly - if someone makes a request of me to smash something I don't look at them funny - I just try and let them know of some of the disadvantages before proceeding.  Anyway - I don't usually don't charge for initial revisions like this either.  Nice thing with 2 refs of one more dynamic and one more squashed is they can compare and contrast and go with the one they want.  Hate to break it to everybody - but usually the squashed one wins with the client that requested the squash.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bblackwood

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2005, 07:05:16 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 09:56

Who defends it? Who on here doesn't hate it?

As for making excuses, most people here are just pleasing the clients. It's called good service.

Quote:

No, I'm simply doing what the client requests.

Thanks for your input, it's valued so very much, Jim.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jim Williams

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2005, 12:01:35 PM »

Great, now we have an entire generation of disposable music. In 25 years, folks will look back at this era of destroyed music and reminisce about how people let technology get out of control. I suspect some engineers will be about as embarrassed about their old "productions" as some are now about their 70's hairstyles.

If you're going to be a lemming, at least learn to swim.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2005, 12:27:43 PM »

Yeah, pleasing clients, of course that is what you need to do to survive.  Still, the bottom line, it's a sell out.  Accepting money for what you know is wrong.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

TotalSonic

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2005, 12:37:22 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 17:01

Great, now we have an entire generation of disposable music. In 25 years, folks will look back at this era of destroyed music and reminisce about how people let technology get out of control. I suspect some engineers will be about as embarrassed about their old "productions" as some are now about their 70's hairstyles.

If you're going to be a lemming, at least learn to swim.

Well - a nice example of a similar thing from the past is all those 80's AOR productions with the massive gated early digital reverbs all over the drums.  I'm sure there are plenty of engineers that wish they could go back and take some of that off - but there are a number of tracks (i.e. Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight") where that sound is actually an intricate part of the recording.

Honestly Jim - there's quite a number of independent labels putting out music that is recorded and mastered beautifully with no squashing on it whatsover.  
Mapleshade Records for example makes a point of using absolutely no compression at any point on any of their releases.  Pop music has always had it's disposability factor in it's productions which tend to go through certain trends - but this has not changed the fact that there have remained small niche labels that have continued thoughout to put out recordings of the highest fidelity.  If you want to hear this stuff you just have to look outside the box of the Big4.  Luckily the internet has made discovery and distribution of this stuff a lot easier than it was in the recent past.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ashermusic

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2005, 01:23:56 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Fri, 07 October 2005 16:29

[

Smile

Cool

Look on Steve's face when he listens back to it and hears what he has been complicit in creating : Sad
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

Ashermusic

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2005, 01:35:31 PM »

AlanS wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 17:27

Yeah, pleasing clients, of course that is what you need to do to survive.  Still, the bottom line, it's a sell out.  Accepting money for what you know is wrong.

Exactly as I have repeatedly maintained in these discussions to the point of annoying Brad Smile

Do what you feel you need to do but don't pretend it is about art. It is about commerce.

It occurs to me however, that since  I am not a mastering engineer but a composer/arranger/producer and engineer when I have to be that maybe I am operating from certain assumptions that others are not.

Do you guys think that there is a different level of contribution and therefore responsibility to the credit/blame for the final product? Are mastering engineers totally functionary or are they a part of the creation process as well?

I can say this from experience: IMO I have heard recordings that were artistically improved by the mastering done by Bernie Grundmann and Doug Sax. You would not find, again IMO, 1 decent musican in 500 who would pick out the pre-mastered version as sounding better.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.