R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: usefulness of the Crane song HEDD  (Read 13201 times)

Bob Boyd

Re: usefulness of the Crane song HEDD
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 01:47:21 AM »

masterhse wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 23:34

Bob Boyd wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 19:10

As far as the real thing (like real tape)...  well, that's often the best.  The only advantage would be the adjustability and auditioning to how hard your hitting the units (or the plug) on the fly.

How about if you insert it and play off of the repro head? It's realtime and adjustments can be made as desired.

Sure.  

My main point was that the digital version (of just about anything) gives you more options and flexibility than it's analog counterpart - good or bad.  Good tape on a great machine can yield great results.  The HEDD and Phoenix may yield something different but it will also give you a wider range of colors and options than one machine will.  I'm not saying one is better.  The one that's better is the one that makes the song you're working on sound the best.  It's just a point.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Jim Williams

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »

dcollins wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 13:28

Jim Williams wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 09:22

I had one in the shop a couple of years ago. I gave it a run through. I found it had some technical problems when I popped it through the Audio Precision analyzer.

Such as?

DC

Noise and distortion were far and away beyond the specs for the Crystal converter chip. Clock leakage was also a problem.

So, mastering guys, is this why these new releases are un-listenable? To me, records have never sounded worse. And I've been doing this since the 60's.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 12:17:57 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 11:34

So, mastering guys, is this why these new releases are un-listenable? To me, records have never sounded worse. And I've been doing this since the 60's.

I dunno, according to some the reason is artistic freedom.  Giving the client "what they want."  Or maybe it's just us unkewl old dudes not able to appreciate the "new" sound?
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

TotalSonic

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 12:21:05 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 16:34

Noise and distortion were far and away beyond the specs for the Crystal converter chip. Clock leakage was also a problem.

I don't use the HEDD and in fact I've never even heard it - but my opinion is that the use of it has absolutely nothing to do with new releases being unlistenable.  First off - I'd say the perhaps the majority of mastering houses are not using the HEDD  - i.e. a lot of places are using converters by Prism, Lavry, dcs, Meitner, Mytek, Pacific Microsonics, Apogee, Benchmark and others instead.  Second off, based on a number of people's opinions whose ears I trust and whose body of work shows that they are capable of extremely high quality work it seems the HEDD is actually capable of very high quality results.  Again - not hearing it I can't confirm this - but the quality of work that I've heard from the people I know using it speaks for itself.

To me the trends most degrading to fidelity in mastering audio currently are the use of extreme amounts of digital peak limiting or the deliberate clipping done at the ADC.  These things are much more debilitating to the signal than converter choice ever will be.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bblackwood

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 12:52:22 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 10:34

Right, it's the gear's fault...

The HEDD's a great piece of gear, period.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

phist

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 05:14:31 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 17:52

do you use it just for conversion? if not how much of what(triode, pentode, tape)?

bblackwood

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 05:22:18 PM »

phist wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 16:14

do you use it just for conversion? if not how much of what(triode, pentode, tape)?

Always ADC, occasional DAC (rarely), rarely a setting of higher than 1-2 on the colors (when used, whic is most of the time)...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bob Boyd

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 05:36:09 PM »

phist wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 16:14

I don't even think about it being a converter.  In fact, I've never even listened to the converters in mine.  For 3 years, it's been an AES insert in my rig.

Jim, I don't know if you listened to it's processing or if you just measured it and put it aside.  You can hardly blame it for pulling audio down.  If anything, it lends to the music the kind of thing a seasoned ear would like!  That's the whole point.  If you didn't get that, you missed it's value altogether.

Records have never sounded worse because powerful tools are readily available to inexperienced hands and because extreme clipping is all over the place.

And Brad's absolutely right.  The HEDD 192 IS a great piece of gear.  Period.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Yiannis

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 05:41:52 PM »

HEDD is a great piece of gear.
Use it right  and you will be glad you bought it Smile

I am Laughing
i own one with the new kit and it sounds great.
Better DA than before.
use all the time ADC-DAC   tracking-mixing-mastering.

made a friend of mine,apogee lover and owner shaking Shocked  Surprised  Laughing

jackthebear

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 06:23:11 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 01:34

You're blaming the HEDD Jim????? And you've been doing this since the 60's???
What *exactly* were you doing in the 60's?? I hear the stuff was good back then...

C'mon Jim....really....you may have got a faulty one....it's very possible after all CS gear is handbuilt, not built by robots.....so human error is possible.

And I betacha that if you reported it as such it would have been rectified very very quickly.

THE HEDD RAWKS!!!!!!!! And so do Dave and Scott over there.

Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Terry Demol

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 11:26:20 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 16:34

dcollins wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 13:28

Jim Williams wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 09:22

I had one in the shop a couple of years ago. I gave it a run through. I found it had some technical problems when I popped it through the Audio Precision analyzer.

Such as?

DC

Distortion seekers...

Has anyone actually measured how much H2 or H3 the HEDD
can add and in what increments?

Our own tests with H2 / H3 'enhancers', but done in the
analog domain, resulted:

a)you don't need much, for eg 0.005% or so H3 is quite audible and can sound great when done correctly

b)often H3 sounds better than H2, I believe Nelson Pass
is also of this view, stands to reason when you look at the
OP spectrum of his amps.

Cheers,

Terry  

bobkatz

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 07:15:36 PM »

I've measured it. Very very small and delicate increments. If you are looking for a nice "tetch" go for 0 through 2 at the very most.

5 or 6 on the tape knob VERY VERY approximately equates with 250 nW/m GP9 in approximate "sound of the saturation". But the distribution and the sonic characteristics are quite different from analog tape and it tends to sound "clogged" compared with GP9 at those "extreme" settings.

I can't recall exceeding about 2 or even 3 in extreme cases as I find that "other solutions" including "real" analog compressors coupled with, if necessary, a "tetch" of Hedd, sound better than too much. But isn't that the case in all work? Unless you are going for some special effect and don't care about the artifacts.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

mikepecchio

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 09:00:49 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 19:15

I find that "other solutions" including "real" analog compressors coupled with, if necessary, a "tetch" of Hedd, sound better than too much. But isn't that the case in all work?

BK

yeah, what about real tape?  Does anyone here bounce songs off tape with any regularity?  I don't, but I did it last week for some digitally recorded rock and it worked really well.  nothing special, 1/4 2-track, 456, conservative levels. it tamed the clicky attack of the drums without dulling the sound at all.  the band loved it.

mike

jackthebear

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 09:52:38 PM »

I've had mixed success with doing that. Nothing beats actually mixing to tape THEN mastering from that.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

lowland

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 05:04:48 AM »

jackthebear wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 23:23

C'mon Jim....really....you may have got a faulty one....it's very possible after all CS gear is handbuilt, not built by robots.....so human error is possible.

And I betacha that if you reported it as such it would have been rectified very very quickly.

Exactly the point I was going to make, Jim - we occasionally hear of faulty units, so perhaps the one you tested was out of spec.

There are some experienced listeners with serious track records here saying that it works for them - perhaps you should take another look at the HEDD.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.