R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: broken alex  (Read 1331 times)

carousel

broken alex
« on: September 29, 2005, 03:59:49 PM »

Hi. I hope this is an appropriate place to post this, if not, please let me know. Mostly I'm posting here in hopes that someone who owns a lexicon alex and maybe has had the same problem will see it.

I just bought a lexicon Alex for 60 something bucks off ebay on the good reviews i've read, and also because it's my first reverb unit and i wanted something stupidly simple and cheap. It came to my door yesterday and I'm all happy until I plug it in and discover a clicking or crackling type of sound coming out with the wet signal. I can't really describe it, except that it seems to "follow" the reverb or delay or whatever patch is on. I looked on harmony central and it seems to be a common problem with the unit.

Should I bother pressing a refund out of the guy I bought it from, or should I hold onto it and hopefully fix it somehow? It obviously not something simple like a crappy pot, there's obviously something wrong with the electronics or circuitry or what have you. The problem is, I talked to the guy on the phone, and he seems to think he's gonna get away with a partial refund, like (and these are his words) wrapping a "twenty in an envelope and mailing it" to me. I'm just not looking forward to getting into a dispute with this guy for a real, reasonable refund. I mean, between the cost of two shippings and the unit itself, it'll cost me over 70 bucks, leaving me 50 dollars in the hole for nothing.

Think I'll have any luck contacting lexicon about the bum unit? (My gut feeling tells me no) Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Is there anything I can do??

Many, many, many, thanks to anyone who can help me out.
-Andrew

hargerst

Re: broken alex
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 06:35:02 PM »

Lexicon probably knows more about that unit than anyone, so that should be your first call; to their tech service department.  Describe the problem and they might have a cheap solution for you.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Jeff4h

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 09:51:20 AM »

I have been using one for several years at a tv station I engineer for with great results  I would try and fix it

floodstage

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 05:56:52 PM »

Mine does not do what you're describing.  Yours is broken and from his response, he knows it's broken and has misrepresented it.

Return it to the seller ASAP.

I'd ask for a shipping refund as well, but I'd return it even if he won't refund shipping.

It shouldn't cost more than 10 bucks to ship.  It's light.  

If you get 60 back, you'll have 50 that you don't have now.  (60 - 10, the money you already spent on shipping is gone either way.)

Don't post feedback till you are happy.

and then buy one that works!

carousel

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 08:36:58 AM »

Thanks very very much for the advice guys. I'm taking a chance on the possibility of fixing, but unless lexicon can help me right away, I'll be asking for a full refund. As much as I hate haggling with people over stuff like this, you're right FLoodstage, it's proabaly best to get this over with asap.

Thanks again, I really really appreciate it.
-Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.