R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: where is stephen sank?  (Read 13410 times)

londonbarn

Re: where is stephen sank?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005, 04:17:15 PM »

what happened to my message, it was my best one yet. was it over the top?

hargerst

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 04:59:25 PM »

londonbarn wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 15:17

what happened to my message, it was my best one yet. was it over the top?

Yeah, I thought it was a little too much.  Dan Kennedy is a pretty damn nice guy, and it sounded (to me) like you used a shotgun to blast him, where a pea-shooter would have sufficed.  

I can empathize with your frustration in dealing with Stephen Sank, and I can't offer any explanation of what happened, but Dan was simply trying to say maybe there are reasons.

I would be as upset as you are if I were the one caught in this situation.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

londonbarn

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 09:05:56 PM »

i know , and i am sorry harvey, i just couldnt help it. lol, won't happen again

bgarrett

Stephen Is Recovering From a Car Accident
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005, 05:29:22 PM »

Stephen Sank was apparently involved in a bad car accident that has left him in bad shape. He's a bit overwhemed trying to recover as well as getting back to angry customers. His email posted on his website does work. Just try to be understanding as he is diligently taking care of past-due business for his clients. His work does continue.

Best Regards,

Brook Garrettson

londonbarn

Re: Stephen Is Recovering From a Car Accident
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2005, 05:51:56 PM »

thanks for that Brook, were you the one that hit him? to know that , We all wish him a very good recovery. but....we are angry because of our pleading to get any reply. when i called... and i got a snub from his daughter?  instead of an explanation (which my 10 year old son would have been capable of doing!!!) it tends to make one nervous , especially when the communication got very scarce way before the accident. AND then we are hearing this from a guy who lives in sacramento???  anyway  like i say and i think i can speak for everyone, is that i hope very much for a well and speedy recovery (and it is not just so he can build my amp), after 3+ years, i think i have given up hope.  AGAIN , thanks  for that Brook

londonbarn

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 08:52:53 PM »

hey brook!!!!  i for the last year now  (at least) emailed steve with a nice message to get well and ONCE AGAIN asked him to email me and confirm about working on my project .he never replied as usual.   please tell us what is in your magic bottle?

musical5

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2005, 08:39:08 PM »

I tried calling many months ago to have a ribbon mic repaired. I only got a voice mail with some kids voice on it. If he is indeed in the microphone repair business, he may want to go to school and learn some proper business etiquite. Spelling?

Mark Gensman

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2005, 02:40:25 AM »

Well, I now have a further update on my Beyer M260 problem. As I stated, I did recieve the mic back from Mr. Sank. The output level is still way low, which was the reason I sent it in the first place.

The explanation I recieved during the intitial contact phase with Mr. Sank was that the stock ribbon in the mic had fatigued and a new ribbon would solve the problem.

He got the mic, I presume he replaced the ribbon and the output is still low.

I recently called Beyer. The tech there told me the problem is not necessarily with the ribbon but with the magnet structure losing it's magnetism, which causes the low output. They charge $130 for a full repair and replace of the entire ribbon/magnet unit.

So, for Christmas I am going to get my Beyer M260 microphone fixed.. At Beyer.

And I wish Mr. Sank nothing but the best in his recovery.
Mark G.

Del-Uks

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 05:53:08 PM »

Mark Gensman

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2006, 03:42:26 AM »

Since this thread has been revived, I have a question. Do any of you know how I can open my M260 and see if it actually DID get a new ribbon? I haven't used it since it got returned from Mr. Sank because it just doesn't seem to sound good any more, and it now requires turning the input gain on my mixer all the way up.. which is not right.

So.. Is it rocket science to take a Beyer M260 apart and see what the ribbon looks like? I have a description of the stock ribbon and a comparison to the RCA 77 ribbon, which is supposedly what Mr. Sank uses for replacement.

Anybody?
Mark G.

JP Gerard

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2006, 04:11:45 AM »

You take the 3 screws on the side of the grille off and peek inside... make sure you don't sneeze  Razz

BTW, Stephen probably told you that rewinding the transof was going to drop the sensitivity.

I found the sensitivity drop to be simply unacceptable on my 260DX and eventually went back to the stock transfo + ribbon assembly.

JP Gerard
-------------------------
_ADK ))) microphones
http://www.adkmic.com

Mark Gensman

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2006, 02:07:29 PM »

Actually, no he didn't tell me the sensitivity would drop.. In fact just the opposite.

When I originally contacted him about modifying the mic, I explained that it worked fine, but the output was getting lower as years went by.

He said that was because the stock ribbon had become fatigued and his modification would bring it back to life.

Turns out the mic requires so much gain now, I cannot use board pre's at all.. And I use the mic on my sax live. Turning the board pre all the way up induces too much noise.

So.. It's off to Beyer. But... my mic is a mid seventies unit a Beyer M260 N (C). The published frequency response is 40 - 18K.

From what I can find out now, the Beyer M260 is a M260.80 with a low frequency roll off.. I have to make sure Beyer won't give me the guts from a mic with that roll off..

The adventure continues...
Mark G.

JP Gerard

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

Right, the .80 transformer has a lower ratio resulting in the leaner low end (well, that's what Stephen told me and it makes sense).

If stephen didn't rewinf your Xfo, I'd expect the sensitivity to be as high as it was before... if not, the ribbon isn't tensionned right.

Yes, make sure you tell Beyer to return an M260, not an M260.80...
JP Gerard
-------------------------
_ADK ))) microphones
http://www.adkmic.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.