R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: where is stephen sank?  (Read 13391 times)

londonbarn

where is stephen sank?
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:30:25 AM »

he has my  amplifier and my $5,000 +       since 2002  and he just continues to ignore me now,  suppose to build a dream amplifier for me.

hargerst

Re: where is stephen sank?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 02:01:02 PM »

Have you called him and raised holy hell with him.  I sure would.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Vertigo

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:49:06 PM »

It's been three years??? I'd have been on his doorstep after one...

-Lance

londonbarn

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 08:19:35 AM »

i have a few times and one of the last times i called and inquired  his voice kind of shrank down to an inaudible mumble, it was kind of bizarre,  i kept saying , "i cant hear you, man" . the thing is i am living in london  so i cant yet, AND  i just want him to make the amp  so i dont want to burn my bridge.  crap,  all he has to do is put some time in and build it, even if he spent my money, just buy the parts and build it. the only thing is that i have told him not to rush (trying to be nice) because i am still in england.he assured me that he didnt go to hawaii with my money, and that he will build it. but now when i called just to keep in touch, his daughter answered the phone and when i mentioned steve she very dodgily said uh , i just got out of the shower and call back in five minutes and i will get him.  of course i call back and it is an answering machine. and has been since .  i have tracked him on ebay and he is buying parts and things, so he is still in the game it looks like. i guess all i can say is that when i get back to the states , i will definitely fly to his house that is for damn sure. he talks about carrying on his fathers legacy, i hope that is not totally true         anyway thanks guys

danickstr

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 01:37:14 PM »

Perhaps the question is, how low has stephen sank?
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

John Ivan

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 08:08:13 PM »

danickstr wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 12:37

Perhaps the question is, how low has stephen sank?

Hi All,

First , let me say that I have had NO experience of any kind with the apparently ,well known Mr. Sank. I just thought I would ad some ideas from outside. I don't even know why I'm doing this,it just sort of came to my mind.

It's sad to read this sort of thing because within all these comments, there seems to be some agreement the Mr. Sank has real talent so, if there are problems on the business side, this is always sad.

It sounds like there may be what can only be called, "life problems" here. It sounds to me like at one point or another,he had his shit together better than he does now. This could mean that maybe things are not going so well on any number of levels for him. I'm not in any way saying that this means he has the right to screw anyone or pass off bad work either, I'm just saying he might be having a hard time in general and this could explain why some had a good experience and some did not.

I would suggest that anyone who has out standing business with Mr. Sank make every effort to contact him again. With everyone doing this at once,it could be a wake up call for him that he's let things go way to far.

As for Mr. Sank himself, I would suggest that  WHAT EVER THE TRUTH IS. You should contact all these folks and do all you possibly can to make any outstanding work, right. Sometimes people let things go and the next thing they know, it's overwhelming and they owe to many people to much and they come apart at the seams. Then they just hide and that is no way for a talented guy {or anyone else} to live.

Keep in mind the possibility that my entire post could be WAY WAY off base and I could be totally full of shit. I don't know what is true and what is not true but, this kind of thing can get really ugly fast and I just thought it wouldn't hurt to make these comments at this point.

P.S. Hope I didn't over step here. I'm just thinking about the possible Human/emotional cost.

My 7 cents.

Ivan..........
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Revolution

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 10:43:09 PM »

I'm with you Ivan40 .

Sounds rather sad to me.

londonbarn

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 09:44:48 AM »

very well said ivan , and i have thought about these very things also, that is why i havent yet torn every limb off his body. what i would love for him to do is to come clean and at least communicate, i cant imagine a MORE understanding guy than myself about this. but just COMMUNICATE for god's sake. we all would probably help the poor chap.  i want to thank harvey gerst for providing this forum because i was hoping that other people would respond so that sank would maybe see this and grow a couple of cahones.

hargerst

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 11:26:36 AM »

I watched David Butler and Sly Stone and many others "self destruct", and now, it appears to be Stephan Sank doing the same thing.  It saddens me when someone with talent destroys himself.  

Some people choose to try and hide their demons from the world as they struggle with them.  I don't know what problems he may be having, but I wish him well in overcoming them.  

It's unfortunate, because they often destroy their credibility and their reputation in the process.

londonbarn

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 09:11:24 PM »

perfectly said

Mark Gensman

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 02:10:43 AM »

I just found this forum and thread by doing a search on Stephen Sank. I am dismayed at what I am reading.

Last month I sent Mr. Sank my Beyer M260 for ribbon replacement. He told me it would be back in a week on September 22. My check has been cashed. No mic.

Mr. Sank is not returning my emails and his telephone message says the mailbox is full and please hang up.

Do any of you have his home telephone number? I would hate to think I have not only lost my Beyer mic, but paid someone to take it away from me.

Are any of you in the Albuquerque area or close to it? I'm in Portland, Oregon and can't get there from here. I am hoping the worst hasn't happened..

Mark G.

Craig Patterson

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 03:13:06 PM »

I'm dismayed to read all this too.  Stephen did a one-of-a-kind mod to one of my ribbons several years ago, and I'd like him to do it again with another.  But I've been unable to reach him as well.

I'm concerned about what I'm reading here - does anyone actually know that Stephen may be going off the deep end in some way, and that perhaps he may *need* one of us to pay him a visit to check on his welfare?  Or are we just speculating? Sad

Because if someone knows a backstory about him that may require some intervention or display of love, please let me and the others in on it, because I'm sure we can arrange something.

-Craig

Mark Gensman

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 04:49:55 PM »

I'm looking into airfare and lodging for Albuquerque as we speak, I have no problem paying a visit to see if I can help...and to extricate my mic.
Mark G.

hargerst

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 10:58:12 PM »

All I can add is that I visited Stephen at his house in Albuquerque and watched while he modded my M260 mic.  It was a small, modest house and he was running a one-man shop.  Wife, two kids, and a couple of dogs.  He had re-ribboned Mike Rivers M260, and he was working on some ribbons for Dan Kennedy at the time. He had a lot of the old RCA stuff that he inherited from his dad Jon Sank.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 03:03:09 AM »

Harvey, is there a way to find his wife's name?

I am getting no email response and his message phone is still full and telling me to hang up.

I really have no idea on how to proceed in getting my mic back from Mr. Sank. I have his emails notifying me he recieved it, I have his signature on a cancelled check, so I can prove he recieved it. I am not interested in waiting months to see if it shows up.

I suppose the worst case would be to hire an attorney in Albuquerque and see if a theft charge loosens any lips..

Suggestions gladly accepted.
Mark G.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.